Vols at #23 in ESPN's early 2015 preseason poll

Aesius

TCU leads the 2015 Way-Too-Early Top 25 rankings - ESPN

23. Tennessee Volunteers
2014 record: 7-6, 3-5 SEC

Returning starters: 10 offense, 9 defense, 1 special teams

Key personnel losses: OT Jacob Gilliam, DT Jordan Williams, CB Justin Coleman, P Matt Darr, RB Marlin Lane

Why they might finish higher: It seems the Volunteers have been rebuilding forever, but they finally seem ready to turn the corner after going a combined 12-13 in coach Butch Jones' first two seasons. Quarterback Joshua Dobbs looks like the answer under center, and four starting offensive linemen are coming back, along with tailback Jalen Hurd, who ran for 899 yards as a freshman. Tennessee's schedule is also favorable, with only four true road games: at Florida, Alabama, Kentucky and Missouri.

Why they might finish lower: There aren't a lot of reasons not to be excited about Tennessee's future, but at some point, it has to translate into victories over teams they're not expected to beat. The 45-28 victory over Iowa in the Taxslayer Bowl was a nice start, but it's going to take more than back-to-back wins over South Carolina to make a move in the SEC East.

Bolded part made me laugh. We've been rebuilding essentially since 2010, but it looks the pieces are finally coming together with quality (but young) depth across the board.

I'm calling an 8-4 season where we drop in and out of the top 25 all year, culminated with a second place SEC East finish, another Gator Bowl-berth, and a W over Michigan and the Fighting Harbaughs in Jacksonville.

Reactions: 4 people
This thing's not really a preseason poll, though.

But it's nice to see some attention.

dude we have been rebuilding since 2005. a decade.

We were 9-4 in 2006, 10-4 in 2007 and played in the Championship game. What we had under Kiffin and Dooley wasn't rebuilding it was brick by brick demolition. It's seems weird but this is really only Butches second recruiting class.

Reactions: 21 people
How long has it been since we've been an actual national title contender. The answer to that is a scary thought.

I don't consider UT rebuilding until Butch signed his first top 5 class last season.

Butch and UT will have to sign a top 5 class every season. UT will need this type of talent to compete with Bama each season.

Reactions: 1 person
We were 9-4 in 2006, 10-4 in 2007 and played in the Championship game. What we had under Kiffin and Dooley wasn't rebuilding it was brick by brick demolition. It's seems weird but this is really only Butches second recruiting class.

No one wants to hear we fired a HoF coach ONE year away from playing for the SEC championship.

He was lazy and complacent and umm stopped recruiting and ate donuts and yaaa all that.

All of these 5-6 wins seasons are so much better.....:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Reactions: 9 people
No one wants to hear we fired a HoF coach ONE year away from playing for the SEC championship.

He was lazy and complacent and umm stopped recruiting and ate donuts and yaaa all that.

All of these 5-6 wins seasons are so much better.....:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

That ship. ..... it's sailed.

Reactions: 11 people

Theres a reason he hasnt been able to even sniff a new HC job..........

Reactions: 8 people

I appreciated everything you gave to UT Coach Fulmer... now dont you and Coach Mathews have a show to do?

Reactions: 1 person
After what I saw last night, I would have to give OSU the top spot for 2015 right now. I know this has them no. 2, but unless they get killed with injuries I don't see them losing a game next year. No one in the Big 10 will have a prayer against them.

VN Store

Back