Forum Game: Pick your coaching all star team from Vols past

VFLCodyGBO

WGWTFA
Title says it all, I'm a little bored and I'm curious as to who you all would put on your all star coaching staff, coaching positions are interchangeable (Ex. Chavis could coach O-line if for some reason you wanted him to.)

Bill Battle and Larry Jones. Larry when he was FSU coach(1971-1973) made his players fight in a chicken wire cage. That contributed to FSU being 0-11 in 1973.

The best position coach EVER was George Cafego. He understood and taught the intricacies of the kicking game in a way that has never been matched. Little things that go unchallenged were keys. For instance, when kicking to an out of bounds sideline, always kick to the side across your body (right foot - left sideline) because almost all poor kicks that go off the side of the foot go off the outside. That way the ball goes down the field instead of shanked out of bounds for a 5 yard kick.

Head coach: Doug Dickey
O-co-ord and QB: David Cutcliffe
Linebacker: Lon Herzbrun
Special teams: George Cafego

Have to think some more for others.

The best position coach EVER was George Cafego. He understood and taught the intricacies of the kicking game in a way that has never been matched. Little things that go unchallenged were keys. For instance, when kicking to an out of bounds sideline, always kick to the side across your body (right foot - left sideline) because almost all poor kicks that go off the side of the foot go off the outside. That way the ball goes down the field instead of shanked out of bounds for a 5 yard kick.
I see that you posted a few minutes before me. I started my post, and had Cafego on my partially finished list when my wife came home with groceries. I came back and finished, and then noticed your post about Cafego. His results tell us all we need to know about his effectiveness as a special teams coach. We had some tremendous punters under him.

When I posted that I had to think some more, it mostly meant I had to get groceries out of the car.

Head coach - Neyland
OC: Al Saunders
DC: Ken Donahue

RB: Johnny Majors
OL: Phil Fulmer

LB: John Chavis
DB: Buddy Bennett

Special Teams: bad new Cafego is the only choice

. (Bennett's Bandits set records for interceptions
Al Saunders wrote the play book with Majors in the 80s that lasted forever. Very creative going 5 wide before it became popular.

Head Coach Bowden Wyatt
Asst Coach Dick Hitt

Bowden's troubles started when he decided to get out of coaching.

HC: Robert Neyland
OC: David Cutcliffe
RB: Randy Sanders. (I'm serious. Go look at the RBs he produced)
OL: Phillip Fulmer
DL: Dan Brooks
ST: George Cafego

Reactions: 1 person
HBC The General
OC/QB Cutcliffe
OL/TE Fulmer
RB Majors
WR K. Brown

DC Chief
DL Dan Brooks
LB Monte Kiffin
DB Lovie Smith

ST/RC Butch

GA Gruden

I can't for the life of me remember the DB's coach in the late 90's... Who was it?

HC - Neyland
OC/QB - Cutcliffe
RB - Randy Sanders
WR - Kippy Brown
OL - Fulmer
DL - Stripling
DC/LB - Chavis(Hate me, go ahead)
DB - Martinez
ST/TE - Elder

May not be the best, but I gave it a shot. I like the way the tight ends and special teams have performed with Elder.

Head coach - Neyland

Al Saunders wrote the play book with Majors in the 80s that lasted forever. Very creative going 5 wide before it became popular.
I would have a hard time on the DB coach between Buddy Bennett and George McKinney. McKinney was at U.T. from 65-69. Great teams and coaches both.

Head coach - Neyland

I'll admit that those are some really good choices top to bottom. Great work.

Head coach.... The General
OC..... Coach Cut
DC......Chavis
DL..... Dan Brooks
OL/assistant HC/RC.....Fulmer
RB.... Majors
LB... Donahue
ST.... Cafego
Assistant RC / receivers..... Butch Jones
Strength Conditioning...... Stuckey

Head coach: Butch
OC: Butch
DC: Butch
DL: Butch
OL: Butch
RB: Butch
LB: Butch
ST: Butch
Strength Conditioning: Butch

Head coach HAS to go to CJC. Undefeated and untied! Never lost to Bama, Auburn, UGA or UF! Beast.

VN Store

Back