1965 Season Highlights

Jacksonvol

I know that it's winter, off-season, and a dull time for all of us who love the Vols....Maybe this will give you 30 minutes of looking back at some good times.

1965 saw the Vols finish with a 8-1-2 record with wins over SC, Alabama, Ga. Tech, and UCLA and a trip to the Bluebonnet Bowl where they beat Tulsa...This link is narrated by George Mooney - for all you young people who never heard him, he was the outstanding "Voice of the Vols" before John Ward came onboard and became a legend...Unfortunately, Bob Kessling introduces it....This was the beginning of the resurgence of Vol football under Doug Dickey..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5JqgaA_CDg

Reactions: 3 people
I know that it's winter, off-season, and a dull time for all of us who love the Vols....Maybe this will give you 30 minutes of looking back at some good times.

1965 saw the Vols finish with a 8-1-2 record with wins over SC, Alabama, Ga. Tech, and UCLA and a trip to the Bluebonnet Bowl where they beat Tulsa...This link is narrated by George Mooney - for all you young people who never heard him, he was the outstanding "Voice of the Vols" before John Ward came onboard and became a legend...Unfortunately, Bob Kessling introduces it....This was the beginning of the resurgence of Vol football under Doug Dickey..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5JqgaA_CDg

That Ole Miss game should have been a 14-14 tie instead of a 14-13 loss. Tennessee's record probably should have been 8-0-3 in 1965. Hell of a defense with Mike Lucci

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'm not very young, but that was before my time. Thanks op, that was cool.

I was cleaning out my basement to move and found this article from 1951 about the Vols being on top of the polls and General Neyland complaining about hotel prices in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl

Thought it complimented the 65 Vols

Attachments

• 51 Vols.jpg
    51 Vols.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
That was 2 seasons before I arrived at U.T., but I listened to those games on the radio, and about 20 years after that, receiver Johnny Mills used to call on our family business every Monday, from Jan. through May, for about 10 years. Also, I had lineman Bobby Gratz as a student teacher/coach not long after that season.

That was great to watch. I had forgot it was 65 the coaches were killed though. That was tragic. I do not remember this season, I am old but just not quite old enough to remember this one. The only season I can remember of Dickey's was his last and the him going to Florida after the Gator Bowl.

OP thanks for posting this.

Last edited:
That was great to watch. I had forgot it was 65 the coaches were killed though. That was tragic. I do not remember this season, I am old but just not quite old enough to remember this one. The only season I can remember of Dickey's was his last and the him going to Florida after the Gator Bowl.

OP thanks for posting this.

Yes, that terrible car-train crash was one of the worst things that has ever happened to the Vol family...Remember being almost numb when I heard the news.....

I was cleaning out my basement to move and found this article from 1951 about the Vols being on top of the polls and General Neyland complaining about hotel prices in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl

Thought it complimented the 65 Vols

Awesome. Thanks for sharing.

I am sure Tennessee got cheated in the Alabama game. Always seems to happen against Bama.

The Bama game ended in a tie in 65. That was the game where Stabler forgot what down it was and threw a pass out of bounds on fourth down. Final score was 7-7, I believe.

The following Sunday, we lost those coaches in the accident with a train...

Jack Patterson, Fullback, #35 is my cousin. We had Christmas at his parents house a lot and always remember the painting of Jack Hanging on the wall.

Reactions: 2 people
Check out our checkerboard endzone in one of the home games, and then Alabama's at the game in Birmingham. They look a lot alike, although Alabama's may be just Crimson colored squares against the grass. The lighter colored squares aren't as light colored as ours. They are both just 4 big squares deep from the goal line to the back of the endzone.

Thanks OP, that UCLA game in Memphis was epic.

Yep...That was the game where Tommy Prothro, the UCLA coach said that he was ashamed to be from Tennessee [I think he was from the Memphis area]....He thought that the refs robbed him; he was such a rotten loser.....

VN Store

Back