My Michael Sawyers prediction

Nocleats

I don't have anything to base this on other than watching him in HS and when he played this year, but I truly believe that Michael Sawyers potential upside is huge. Give him another year in the weight room and a spring practice and this guy can be a solid D tackle that can play at a dominating level.. Super Hard for a true freshman to play on the interior D line so I see him becoming a mainstay... Guy can be great!

Reactions: 4 people
I don't have anything to base this on other than watching him in HS and when he played this year, but I truly believe that Michael Sawyers potential upside is huge. Give him another year in the weight room and a spring practice and this guy can be a solid D tackle that can play at a dominating level.. Super Hard for a true freshman to play on the interior D line so I see him becoming a mainstay... Guy can be great!

For some reason I thought he was JUCO but you're right, he was a true FR. Guess it was all the hype. Hope he balls out next year like so many hoped he would this year.

Reactions: 1 person

Agree he needs time to develop. He's no DB but he has the potential. It's up to him. Go Vols!!

I agree. Some freshmen can play right away. Some need some time. But another year in the weight room and another year in the defense scheme will help that young man a lot.

Agree he needs time to develop. He's no DB but he has the potential. It's up to him. Go Vols!!

In fairness, D end is probably easier for a true freshman than D Tackle.. Much More physical with a lot of double teams against the hogs.... Just watch next year, I got a feeling!!

So I guess he has decided to stay? Last I remember he was rumored to be wanting to transfer.

I wouldn't get all hung up on Sawyers. If he doesn't become a part of the rotation he probably won't ever be. CBJ is signing a great class for 2015---Sawyers is going to have to make a HUGE step. I wouldn't say any spot is promised.

It is unfair to expect true freshmen, no matter highly ranked to come in and have a huge impact. In a few years we may be having a lot of freshman "busts" :D

Very Very difficult to make the rotation on DL as a frosh...easy for kids that are highly recruited wonder why they don't get that early start...you are in the trenches...getting hit from all directions...it can be overwhelming if not mentally strong.

If memory serves me right, both Justin Harrell and Dan Williams needed 2-3 years before people thought they were any good. But they turned out okay. Let's give Sawyers more time than just one year before we evaluate him.

Reactions: 6 people
The best teams field a number of juniors and seniors. To assume a guy that wasn't ready as a true freshman to contribute was a bust is ridiculous. Especially linemen. Give him some time.

Reactions: 5 people
McKenzie and Tuttle shouldn't be expected to be stars right away either. People's high expectations set kids up for failure. Hope Sawyer balls out next year.

Reactions: 2 people
If memory serves me right, both Justin Harrell and Dan Williams needed 2-3 years before people thought they were any good. But they turned out okay. Let's give Sawyers more time than just one year before we evaluate him.

Not to mention Reggie White.

Even if big Mike doesn't ever become a starter for us, he can still be a very good back up that sees plenty of playing time. Gotta keep the big fellers fresh by rotating them in and out regularly.

He reminds me of John Randle.

Never was a fan. Ive said many times that I hope I'm wrong. I hope he becomes all SEC. However, I just don't see it. I don't think he will ever contribute significantly.

Weren't his HS stats extremely un-impressive, what did you see when was in high school? Sounds like everyone is waiting for him to turn it up a notch. I hope he does!

VN Store

Back