Sling TV, Espn and the Vols

coffeevol

regular old member
So I guess most of you have already seen that dish is going to offer an online alternative of sat and cable for $20 per month. It features espn and espn 2 and about 10 to 20 other channels but no SEC Network, so how often did the Vols play on SEC Network this year? I know a few but this sounds like a plan to finally cut the cord on directv. I figure I can go to a pub and watch 3 games a year. Thoughts?

Reactions: 1 person
With the addition of ESPN, Slingtv became an instant player in the market. I seem to recall UT being on the SEC network a few times. More often in hoops. If Sling adds SEC network and most importantly FOX. I could be persuaded to ditch directv. My wife OTOH has to have the ability to record so that's a sticking point. Still this is a welcome development. Interested to see how it goes. Frankly the day of cable and sat dish networks is nearing an end. Streaming all Netflix, Hulu and sling are the way of the future. Just a matter of time.

Sec network is ok but money racket. Would rather had the the Jefferson pilot/ sec tv/ espn plus thing for free and watch the one time pay per view at local pizza bar. They done this to the south for a reason.

They may move more games there in the future though?
Sec network has horrible programming so they need to load it heavy with games.

FWIW. I switched from direct to dish a couple of years ago and haven't looked back.
Other peoples exp. may be different, but I'm sticking with Dish.

FWIW. I switched from direct to dish a couple of years ago and haven't looked back.

I heard many issues with direct so i went to dish over 3 ago. Does direct have the freeze your account option? Because thats what I'm doing after this month until next season lol

I heard many issues with direct so i went to dish over 3 ago. Does direct have the freeze your account option? Because thats what I'm doing after this month until next season lol

I've had Dish for several years now. What's Freeze?

I think freak should buy stock in the sec and NCAA and link all games on volnation.

Ive had directv for 15 years. I love them. They are the best. However i will now drop the college ticket package. Not only were all of UTs games on the SEC or ESPN channels, but the crap they played on the ticket was horrible. VILLANOVA vs LASALLE, or some D2 schools. They totally lost me after paying or it last year and not getting any quality games.

Directv has the freeze option. In the past you've been allowed 6 months per year. I used it a few times.

Directv has the freeze option. In the past you've been allowed 6 months per year. I used it a few times.

Yes I have had mine froze since April and is frozen until the end of February until I get my Visa gift card from Uverse to pay off my ETF

I switched toDish and love it. Will not go back to Direct.

Damn, I feel like I'm in a commercial. :)

BTW I have Dish also. :yes:

GO VOLS!

Damn, I feel like I'm in a commercial. :)

BTW I have Dish also. :yes:

GO VOLS!

LOL...I guess it does. Honestly, for me at least, it was more about I had issues with direct than where I switched. I was with them around the 16 year mark and got used to the inconsistensies in billing etc...

They always honored the warranties I paid extra for but I was surprised how often I had to use them. 2days without tv (even though you still pay for those 2 days) becomes huge if it's during game season. So I switched and was just surprised with what I had slowly gotten used to.

Could be cable or net tv or.... just not going back there unless weird circumstances put me into the situation.
Edit: Had to do this after the "commercial" remark.
"Sorry Direct, we're with Dish now " LOL

Last edited:
We were probably on SECN 5 or 6 times this past season I bet. Seemed like it was every other week.

I have the Directv Genie system and it's awesome. All Hd, full DVR capabilities in every room, records 5 channels at the same time, Pandora, youtube & TV apps in every room, Directv on demand has 10,000 titles. All this plus the NFL Sunday Ticket with every NFL game. The SEC network is available and in HD.

I have had Directv for the last 5 years and haven't missed a Vols game.

You can go with the Internet devices, but you will not have anything close to what you can get with Directv.

How's that for sounding like a commercial? ....lol

I have the Directv Genie system and it's awesome. All Hd, full DVR capabilities in every room, records 5 channels at the same time, Pandora, youtube & TV apps in every room, Directv on demand has 10,000 titles. All this plus the NFL Sunday Ticket with every NFL game. The SEC network is available and in HD.

I have had Directv for the last 5 years and haven't missed a Vols game.

You can go with the Internet devices, but you will not have anything close to what you can get with Directv.

How's that for sounding like a commercial? ....lol

Bet your bill is $200 plus per month for all that. I am tired of paying $100 per month, I really only watch 15 to 20 channels....if SEC network was part of this it would not be a discussion.

My wife OTOH has to have the ability to record so that's a sticking point. Still this is a welcome development. Interested to see how it goes. Frankly the day of cable and sat dish networks is nearing an end. Streaming all Netflix, Hulu and sling are the way of the future. Just a matter of time.

HD antenna, silicondust cable tuner to Windows PC and media center recording to a 3TB+ hdd. xbox 360s as media center extenders in other rooms.

Last edited:
Bet your bill is $200 plus per month for all that. I am tired of paying $100 per month, I really only watch 15 to 20 channels....if SEC network was part of this it would not be a discussion.

Nope

It depends on how many channels you want and how many rooms, but you can keep your bill below $100 and still have all the extra features.

One way to save is by bundling your bills with Directv and AT&T.

Another is that as a Directv customer you can refer others to Directv and get $100 off your bill. You can do that up to 10 time per year which comes out to $1,000 off each year.

VN Store

Back