What is a "NegaVol"?

Dr Dread

This seems like as good a time as any to pose this question. I've noticed over the years that you can place a large portion of the fan base into one of two catagories. In Season NegaVols, and Off Season NegaVols. The first group spends the off season making predictions of 10-2 or SEC Champs, calling anyone who disagrees a NegaVol; while the offseason NegaVols call them sunshine pumpers and make predictions such as 5- or 6-6.

Once the season starts and we start taking losses, the Off season NegaVols become Kool-Aid drinkers as they defend the staff from the relentless attacks comimg from the former Sunshine Pumpers, who are now the In season NegaVols.

The threads "What Happened to all the doom and gloom?" and "call me whatever, I only see 2 possible losses in 2015" are a great illustration of this.

So my question is which of these are the REAL NegaVols?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
A person who is negative all the time about Tennessee sports. Some of them actually seem unhappy when Tennessee is successful.

Reactions: 8 people
It may be possible that those that are negative in season, start predicting high win totals for a reason. If those totals are not met, then they get to yell "under achieving"
Set up for failure I guess.
Don't really care enough to put in any more thought on the subject.

Reactions: 2 people
Moan and grown about every little thing like when we are filling our recruiting class up with talent everywhere, well we are only ranked 5th or when we beat IOWA, complained about the play calling in the 4th quarter when we are leading 42 -14, if and when we win the NC with a 14 and 1 record, they point out a loss by 3 points in a game in late September, or when we win the NC 28-27 oh we should have won by 21 if we had the right play calling, they just cant enjoy the ride back to the top,all I can say to them is FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF them and to the TRUE TENNESSEE FANS we are TENNESSEE ENJOY THE RIDE ON THAT BIG ORANGE FREIGHT TRAIN THATS A ROLLING.:rock:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Most of the people considered to be Nega vols are simply people who don't believe the current administration in place is or were capable of running a successful athletic program.

They include the bunch who realized earlier than most (myself included) that Fulmer was starting to coast on the job, That Hamilton was a better fundraiser than AD, That Bruce Pearl was a risky hire, That Derek Dooley was a moron (or moran) Coach Zo was a flimsy branch on Coach Keady's tree etc....

I'd say most of them were rational people, till the other side of that coin (sunshine pumpers) who were so adamant that UT would succeed no matter what, drove them insane and vice versa....

Good people on both sides who came into the Football forum and beat every dead horse until they were either banned, gave up or moved on.

.....just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
To steal and modify a quote from "True Detective": A negavol considers themselves a realist but in philosophical terms they would be considered a pessimist. That means they aren't very good at parties."

Reactions: 11 people
Moan and grown about every little thing like when we are filling our recruiting class up with talent everywhere, well we are only ranked 5th or when we beat IOWA, complained about the play calling in the 4th quarter when we are leading 42 -14, if and when we win the NC with a 14 and 1 record, they point out a loss by 3 points in a game in late September, or when we win the NC 28-27 oh we should have won by 21 if we had the right play calling, they just cant enjoy the ride back to the top,all I can say to them is FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF them and to the TRUE TENNESSEE FANS we are TENNESSEE ENJOY THE RIDE ON THAT BIG ORANGE FREIGHT TRAIN THATS A ROLLING.:rock:

These are the same people that gripe because the sun comes up in the East and sets in the West every day. But the moment it changed, they would be the first to raise absolute Hell about it.

Reactions: 1 person
A negavol is a self proclaimed realist that carpet bombs any shred of positivity within the program.

Reactions: 6 people
Negavols are people who set all of their standards as if UT has only played football from 1989 until today, like we never had bad seasons way back when. They compare every season against the late 90s and see sub-par performance because of it. They don't start where things actually went to **** for us in the late 2000s.

"Well we're Tennessee and we don't lose to so and so." Well, you got the name right, but since 2008.. we do lose to so and so. We are a great program with a rich history, but don't kid yourself. UT hasn't been a good team for a while. It's not even about lowering your standards. It's about setting your viewpoint to the right timeframe.

I'm not defending sunshine pumpers either, but there is a distaste for the middle ground of opinions sometimes. Negavols also act like if you say "Oh we're improving" that it means we're happy with where we are, that we don't need to improve. It's okay to be happy with progress and still want more.

Reactions: 9 people
Just be a realistic fan! Be encouraged that the team could possible over achieve but predicting some of the outrageous unlikely predictions are over the top. And the worse part of it all is that when people post that we go 15 - 0, win S.E.C. Championship and National Championship, in their minds, they actually believe that it is likely achievable.

Last summer, most of us predicted a 6 - 6 record or a 7 -5 season. Both of those were achievable and fairly likely. However; the we beat Bama, Florida, Oklahoma posts are not realistic.

In recent years I've tried to learn lots more about our roster and depth and tried to take my Orange colored glasses off to see things more realistically.

Many people over expect and are then let down and mad because their dream goals didn't happen.

I've done that too because of my love of Tennessee and having been spoiled for too many years back when Fulmer was beating almost everyone.

It breaks our hearts to lose any game, especially the games we believe we should have won, and then we carry that anger forward for far to long.

Gameday comes along and I hope and believe we can whip any team that dares walk onto the gridiron against my beloved Vols.

While I may point out some things for everyone to consider I'll always see the positive things happening too.

NegaVols always see nothing but the negatives and will always find something to whine, cry and b*tch about even wen we Win games.

Some people are just negative minded people and others just like drama, getting attention for themselves and they love to argue even if their so-called points are totally nonsensical.

Our rebuilding is going to take another year or 2 but I'm loving what I see getting accomplished and the direction our footVol program is going!

I can finally see the SEC East Championship coming back to Tennessee and SEC Championships following behind.

I see it and for those that don't, I just feel sorry for them and living a life of negativity.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

VN Store

Back