2016 D Line

Big Orange #1

In Huep we trust!!
As I sit here wishing Big Orange Football was still here I was looking at our recruiting this year. Kyle Phillips just got a bump to 5* on 247 and it got me thinking. In 2016 we have the potential to start 4 5* DL.

Barnett - I know he was a 4* but lets face it rerankings he is a 5*.

KMAC
Tuttle

Phillips

I know KMAC and Tuttle haven't played a down yet but if they play to their potential and ranking then watch out SEC.

Have we ever had that much talent on the DL. I know we have had some good ones in the 90's but I am just excited to see where CBJ can take us.

Reactions: 1 person
We have a chance to start 4 great linemen. Stars don't matter once they're on campus.

Edit: Also I'm assuming Maggitt will start opposite Barnett unless he moves back to linebacker.

Yes the Head Liners - Tuttle, KMac , Barnett , Phillips will most likely be shoe ins for starts.

Don't forget the other players as well.. Got big hopes for Butcher- His spin move his epic. Derrell Taylor.. a lot of potential there. Ford is a beast as well. Picou is an excellent DT prospect as well..

Depth is a beautiful thing ...

Defensive line will be solid but the secondary may be a question mark. Cameron Sutton will be gone after 2015.

As I sit here wishing Big Orange Football was still here I was looking at our recruiting this year. Kyle Phillips just got a bump to 5* on 247 and it got me thinking. In 2016 we have the potential to start 4 5* DL.

Barnett - I know he was a 4* but lets face it rerankings he is a 5*.

KMAC
Tuttle

Phillips

I know KMAC and Tuttle haven't played a down yet but if they play to their potential and ranking then watch out SEC.

Have we ever had that much talent on the DL. I know we have had some good ones in the 90's but I am just excited to see where CBJ can take us.

2001 with Haynesworth, Henderson, Ritzmann, and Overstreet comes to mind.

Right now this (2015) line is half proven and half potential, but it does look mighty good on paper.

I'm excited about this DL, but I am a little less enthusiastic after looking at UGA's DL class they have coming in.

Kahlil McKenzie - DT - 5* - 100
Kyle Phillips - DE - 5* - 98
Shy Tuttle - DT 4* - 97
Darrel Taylor - DE - 4* - 92
Quay Picou - DT - 4* -90
Andrew Butcher - DE - 4* - 90
Marques Ford - DE - 3* - 89

UGA:

Trent Thompson - DT - 5* - 101
Johnathan Ledbetter - 4* - 95
D'Andre Walker - DE - 4* - 94
Natrez Patrick - DE - 4* - 94
Michael Barnett - DE - 4* - 93
Chauncey Rivers - DE - 4* - 91
Justin Young - DT - 3* - 86

Both have 7 players

Average ranking for UGA - 93.43
Average ranking for TN - 93.71

2001 with Haynesworth, Henderson, Ritzmann, and Overstreet comes to mind.

Right now this (2015) line is half proven and half potential, but it does look mighty good on paper.

It would be nice if the defense rose up like the 1983 defense did when they led the SEC in total defense.

Defensive line will be solid but the secondary may be a question mark. Cameron Sutton will be gone after 2015.

Yes, but a great defensive line can make a weak secondary look good. We should still have TKjr and Mosley back there who both seem to be solid players.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm excited about this DL, but I am a little less enthusiastic after looking at UGA's DL class they have coming in.

Shy Tuttle - DT 4* - 97
Quay Picou - DT - 4* -90

UGA:

Both have 7 players

They're both equal as far as numbers. It comes down to how big a boy you wanna be once the pads start poppin. I think we have the staff to motivate and drive our guys o be better than they are now on paper.

Shy Tuttle - DT 4* - 97
Quay Picou - DT - 4* -90

UGA:

Both have 7 players

Thanks for the breakdown. I'm sure both of our DL's are going to be top in the nation. Hopefully as a team we are better

I know people are not going to want to hear this but Shy Tuttle needs a redshirt year. Doubt he will though.

I know people are not going to want to hear this but Shy Tuttle needs a redshirt year. Doubt he will though.

Probably right and prob Picou too. DT is a difficult place to make a big impact as a FR. Now, McKenzie looks SEC ready right now IMO.
OTOH, we are still not really in a position to RS that many new players. Our depth is not to "reloading" levels yet.

Fantasy legacy DL:

DT,Reggie White Jr.

NG, John Henderson Jr.

DT, Darwin Walker JR.

DE, Leonard Little Jr,

Wow, yeah.

The best DL that I have ever seen at UT was in 2001. Two NFL pro-bowlers(One MVP Another the Outland Trophy winner), another Sr & NFL starter and a Sr DE. They destroyed entire game plans.

UGA won that year while our 1st rnd draft picks at WR and DT were injured. Should have played the U for NAtty that year. That could have been an epic game.

The 2016 group, if developed, could rival this.

Shy Tuttle - DT 4* - 97
Quay Picou - DT - 4* -90

UGA:

Both have 7 players

They are very similar but keep in mind that Tuttle was a 5* until recently and how well McKenzie showed at The Opening (which Thompson ducked) and what Phillips just did at the AA game. I am biased but I think Tennessee's is better.

Remember, they don't all pan out; remember that Samoan guy who was supposed to be awesome, that took a year off to do the Mormon mission trip? Exactly, I don't remember his name either, and there is a reason for that.

J.T. Mapu....he looked great before mission trip of two years and was very average after that.

He was a good one. He was just doing what he had to do when he went out on Mission.

Completely agree he did what was in his heart to do. Can't fault a man for that. Just saw where he was living in China now. He has had an interesting life.

VN Store

Back