Dobbs can throw a good deep ball.

bhouston79

The one legitimate criticism that has been leveled against Josh Dobbs ever since he came in and jump started our offense in the Alabama game is that he hasn't been able to throw the deep ball successfully during football games. While this a legitimate criticism, I would also like to point out that he does have the capability of throwing the deep ball well. To prove my point that Dobbs has the capability of throwing the deep ball well, I have included a couple of links to videos. The first link is of Dobbs throwing a beautiful deep ball and hitting his WR in stride in last year's Orange and White game. The second video is of Dobbs hitting the goal post (allegedly on his first try) from the 50 yard line.

Link 1 (go to 4:09 on the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihrpVZp3gu8

Link 2:

Instagram

Let's face it, if Dobbs can hit the deep ball in 2015, teams are going to be hard pressed to stop our offense. With Dobbs getting most of the 1st team reps in the spring game, I think there is a good chance that he will be able to significantly improve this area of his game. I am so excited about next season! Go Vols!

Reactions: 3 people
Will be interesting to see if he works with Geo. Whitfield again this year. Also should get invite to the Manning camp this year I would think.

Reactions: 1 person
I've heard/seen several people say that he doesn't have a strong arm. I don't know why anyone who has watched the kid play would say that. His accuracy still leaves much to be desired, but the kid can rifle the ball in there. If he is able to work in the offseason and improve his accuracy, the deep balls will be completed more often.

Something to consider as well; by the time he was inserted into the lineup, defenses were keying in our only real deep threat in North, and then he got hurt and wasn't nearly 100%. Malone was supposed to be the other deep threat, but that didn't really pan out this past season. With another full offseason of work, a healthy North and an improved Malone, I suspect we will see a few more completions down the field next year.

Peyton Manning says you hope to complete 1/5 deep balls a game. so theres that. dobbs completed one in the bowl game for a td in a perfect corner throw to pearson.

I don't really consider that a deep ball.

Yeah, a 19 yard throw, albeit from the right hash to the left front corner of the end zone, IIRC, isn't truly a deep ball. More of a medium range pass, although it was a beautiful pass and catch.

Reactions: 2 people
The point really is: can he repeatedly throw a deep ball with that option considered a threat when opposing teams watch our film?

Dobbs played baseball in high school; he can throw a ball.

But, can he be a consistent "down the field" passer?

Still to be determined?

I agree. After the skills competition at the O&W game last spring, I was convinced Dobbs had the strongest arm of the four. The accuracy should come with practice. He will benefit greatly from taking all of the first reps now and working with the WRs in the off sesason.

I would prefer he learns how to check us into the right call against the def. Yes his passing is avg but in key 3rd downs checking us into the right play will win us more games.

Right now he looks at the def but just runs the play called. Hard to understand since he started NASA according to VN.

It ought to be pretty clear what he needs to work on in off season.
Intermediate to Deep routes.
He often floats the ball.
He missed a wide open Pearson in the bowl game on 3rd down floating it 5 feet over his head. It would have been a long gain.
The play resulted in a punt and Iowa's first TD.
Teams aren't going to be as generous as Iowa come September.

It's easier to throw an accurate deep ball when you have more than a half second to set your feet and throw it. With better offensive line play those deep ball will come. In the bowl game the OL play was a lot better.

Can we recruit some goal post to play WR for us? I haven't seen any rated higher than 2 stars. :)

Only kidding, I'm not worried about Dobbs at all. Nobody is going to be perfect. He runs the ball well enough to more than make up for any so called weakness he may or may not have throwing the deep ball. If I was worried about anything it would be his inconsistency throwing the short to intermediate routes. Those are much more important than the occasional deep ball completion imo. I got a feeling we'll see plenty of deep balls completed next year and wr's turning short and intermediate catches into big plays. I guess it could just be gas though.

Last edited:
quick, somebody name a time a deep pass, 25+ yards, was ever completed this season. and not a 5yrd catch and run for 25+.

*crickets*

yeah i couldn't remember one either.

Yeah, a 19 yard throw, albeit from the right hash to the left front corner of the end zone, IIRC, isn't truly a deep ball. More of a medium range pass, although it was a beautiful pass and catch.

26 yards as he dropped back to pass...plus the lateral yardage, probably close to 30 yards equals a 40 yard pass.

I'm not sure what a "deep pass" is in your world, but I'd say that's pretty darn close.

quick, somebody name a time a deep pass, 25+ yards, was ever completed this season. and not a 5yrd catch and run for 25+.

*crickets*

yeah i couldn't remember one either.

Since you weren't specific, how about.....Manning to Denarious Thomas several times?

That's not a criticism I threw his way. Consistently hitting deep passes requires him to have had time working with the WR's. I don't think he had a whole. Lot of first team reps and by the time he took over... Both Josh Smith and vp had been hurt. I don't think North was ever 100% while Dobbs was playing either. To have an entire off season to work with these guys should do wonders. Again...coulda woulda's are pointless but... What if Butch had just tabbed Dobbs to be the guy all along as many had suspected he'd do? How many more games do we win? No telling.
Oklahoma wasn't that great. Remember the play when worley tried to run it in. He took off from about the 7 and there wasn't a defense player in sight. Yet he gets caught at the one. Then throws a pick 6 on the next play.
Florida is definitely a win going away if Dobbs plays Imo.
And what if Dobbs comes in against uga when worley was out?
What if Dobbs plays the whole bama game? We outscored them from the time he came in the game

Last edited:
He threw a good deep ball in the bowl game that hit the reciever in the hands before being dropped.

The last few games of 2013, his accuracy was terrible. Even on fairly short routes and stationary targets and including swing passes to the flat. in 2014 he got MUCH better at these throws while still struggling on some deeper routes. This is without going into 2014 as the starter or getting starter reps in the preseason or first half of the year. Imagine the improvement going into 2015 as the starter with the confidence of the bowl game and all your teammates behind you. I don't it's unreasonable to think his accuracy will take another step forward in 2015.

The fact of the matter is, we are an 8 and maybe a 9 win team if Dobbs starts the season. With his running ability, its the best QB play we've had in a long time. His arm strength is fine, his accuracy will get better with more reps.

VN Store

Back