Team #118 MVP

ItsAllVols

Go Vols
I am interested what everyone thoughts are.

My pick would be Pig Howard, because of the clutch catches he gave us this year. It just seem when we needed to continue the drive he is the player that made it happen from Jet sweeps to receptions.

QB really didn't give a years worth of production, although Dobbs help the process of getting to a Bowl game, without him we don't make it.

Defense could receive it as a group, to flip the scrip of a weakness to a strength was amazing.

What would be your pick?

#Team 117 MVP was Michael Palardy

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I know everyone else will hit the flashy players so I will cover a couple that gave those players the chance to be flashy.
Gilliam - Crowder.

Maggitt. Not just because of his on the field play, but also because of his leadership and attitude that I think inspired the guys around him to play harder.

Reactions: 8 people
Gilliam is a good pick....just wow what that kid did for UT

Yeah, he had to have made it difficult for other players to hit the bench because their shoulder was a little sore.lol

I gave Crowder a bump for the difference in total ol play with/without him. He has faults but leadership does not appear to be one of them.

Reactions: 2 people
Whomever sprinkled the "magic dust" on our special teams.
Like free throw shooting in BB, being not so good will get you beat most days.

Reactions: 3 people
It might be a cop-out but I am going with the entire defensive line. Out of that group it is easy to point to Barnett and Maggitt but the way Jordan Williams and Danny O'Brien held up at DT with not much help or depth behind them was really remarkable. Yes, they had a tendency to tire out late in games which led to a few long runs (see: UGA) but overall they did well.

Before the season we all talked about replacing both lines and I personally was much more worried about the D line... but those guys really stepped up. The great thing as a UT fan is I know what sort of talent is being brought in to add depth and competition.

It is a group that could be SCARY GOOD very very soon.

Reactions: 1 person
Instead of MVP why don't we call it, perserverence award. If we do this we can honor more then one or two players. I think first and foremost is Jacob Gilliam, the guy truly gave his all for Tennessee. He will be remembered by this team and fan base. True grit and passion for this team. Jalen Hurd, not many guys come in and take over for sr RBs. The guy is the best blocker on this team, not to mention receiving, running. Josh Dobbs, good leader for this team, running skills, passing ability, and was relatively protective of the football. Calm, cool, and focused could be used to describe him. Pig Howard played his rear off this season. The guy has an it factor. Clutch.
Curt Maggitt, has been a true leader for the defense, 11 sacks. Dereck Barnett, dudes a beastly animal, future all-American plays with intensity, Jalen Reeves-Maybin quietly has lead this LB core. Especially after all the mess with AJ. Cam Sutton has been a shut down guy for us. He hasn't been real flashy but teams tend to mostly stay away.

And I would also say our entire Special Teams Units. Every player.

Reactions: 2 people
I am interested what everyone thoughts are.

My pick would be Pig Howard, because of the clutch catches he gave us this year. It just seem when we needed to continue the drive he is the player that made it happen from Jet sweeps to receptions.

QB really didn't give a years worth of production, although Dobbs help the process of getting to a Bowl game, without him we don't make it.

Defense could receive it as a group, to flip the scrip of \weakness to a strength was amazing.

What would be your pick?

#Team 117 MVP was Michael Palardy

MVP Joshua Dobbs
Without Josh Dobbs we would not have went to a bowl game. If Josh would have started all year we might have won 8 or 9 games

My pick on D is Barnett
Added a huge spark to the Defense
20 TFL and 10 sacks
had to win us a couple games

Instead of MVP why don't we call it, perserverence award. If we do this we can honor more then one or two players. I think first and foremost is Jacob Gilliam, the guy truly gave his all for Tennessee. He will be remembered by this team and fan base. True grit and passion for this team. Jalen Hurd, not many guys come in and take over for sr RBs. The guy is the best blocker on this team, not to mention receiving, running. Josh Dobbs, good leader for this team, running skills, passing ability, and was relatively protective of the football. Calm, cool, and focused could be used to describe him. Pig Howard played his rear off this season. The guy has an it factor. Clutch.
Curt Maggitt, has been a true leader for the defense, 11 sacks. Dereck Barnett, dudes a beastly animal, future all-American plays with intensity, Jalen Reeves-Maybin quietly has lead this LB core. Especially after all the mess with AJ. Cam Sutton has been a shut down guy for us. He hasn't been real flashy but teams tend to mostly stay away.

And I would also say our entire Special Teams Units. Every player.

This is nice and all, but if we are talking about the "most valuable player" that person is unquestionably Josh Dobbs. Yes, he only played half a season, but if he didn't single-handedly carry the team on his back to a win over South Carolina we wouldn't be bowling. He saved our season. No other player was more important to the team in the games they played, and no other player was so clearly superior to their backups.

This is nice and all, but if we are talking about the "most valuable player" that person is unquestionably Josh Dobbs. Yes, he only played half a season, but if he didn't single-handedly carry the team on his back to a win over South Carolina we wouldn't be bowling. He saved our season. No other player was more important to the team in the games they played, and no other player was so clearly superior to their backups.

This entire post is completely accurate, nough said

It might be a cop-out but I am going with the entire defensive line. Out of that group it is easy to point to Barnett and Maggitt but the way Jordan Williams and Danny O'Brien held up at DT with not much help or depth behind them was really remarkable. Yes, they had a tendency to tire out late in games which led to a few long runs (see: UGA) but overall they did well.

Before the season we all talked about replacing both lines and I personally was much more worried about the D line... but those guys really stepped up. The great thing as a UT fan is I know what sort of talent is being brought in to add depth and competition.

It is a group that could be SCARY GOOD very very soon.

I don't think this is a cop out at all. A good d-line makes everyone behind them better as well. Just like a good o-line makes everyone else able to perform better.
My vote is also on the d-line. I don't think we expected them to perform at the level that they did, and not only did they hold up but became a foundation for our much improved D.

Jordan Williams. As a senior, he is asked to and does change positions to help the defense-the defense overachieved and he was one of the main reasons. That's valuable.

VN Store

Back