Question about Hurd

I liked the Marcus Allen comparison during the Iowa game.

Agreed. Always hear the Eddie George comparisons for Hurd, but I think Marcus Allen is a better comparison as Hurd seems a little more shifty like Allen was and less pure north and south like George, although he can get you the tough yards, if necessary. Obviously, still a long way from either of these backs, but off to a promising start.

Reactions: 5 people
He said in his post-game presser (after the annihilation of Iowa) that his goal for the offseason is to put on weight.

Reactions: 3 people
A bit more weight may be bad for defenders. I saw several times guys trying to tackle him get shook up.

Reactions: 4 people
Add more muscle and the weight will take care of itself. His frame can hold more and it should give him added durability.

Reactions: 1 person
With his tall frame he honestly is or "looks" a little thin. I know he's listed in the 225lb range but I doubt he weighed that at season'a end...just hard to keep weight on during season. He could carry 235/240 on his frame and still keep explosiveness with proper speed work.

He said in his post-game presser (after the annihilation of Iowa) that his goal for the offseason is to put on weight.

I heard that too. I think he could put on another 10 to maybe 15 lbs and his frame could handle it well. He is going to dominate the SEC really soon. He completely took over the Iowa game and they called off the hogs halfway through the 3rd.

Big difference if he can add 5-10 pounds of muscle. If he can eat right in the off season and hit the weights he could do that easily. He also needs to stay lose and not get too big too fast or he could lose some agility. Kinda like a baseball player getting bigger, you don't want to sacrifice that bat speed.

During the season, he hovered around 220 lbs. From a just-got-over-the-flu 215lbs against Alabama, to a more solid 225 lbs against Iowa.

His goal is to be at 235 lbs (in season weight) next fall. He should hold that weight well without any loss in speed.

He will be also be able to lift on his upper body this off-season (what he could not do last year), so I expect some pretty nice gains.

Reactions: 4 people
Big difference if he can add 5-10 pounds of muscle. If he can eat right in the off season and hit the weights he could do that easily. He also needs to stay lose and not get too big too fast or he could lose some agility. Kinda like a baseball player getting bigger, you don't want to sacrifice that bat speed.

Speed for a football player is dependent upon two factors: stride length and stride frequency. Appears he has the natural ability/agility to "avoid" rather than having to run over defenders. Learn an effective stiff-arm technique; lifting weights will not give him flexibility; hope the trainers stay on top of maximizing his natural stride speed: length and frequency.

I liked the Marcus Allen comparison during the Iowa game.

Agreed. Always hear the Eddie George comparisons for Hurd, but I think Marcus Allen is a better comparison as Hurd seems a little more shifty like Allen was and less pure north and south like George, although he can get you the tough yards, if necessary. Obviously, still a long way from either of these backs, but off to a promising start.

He runs like this guy:

eric-dickerson_pg_600.jpg

(That is Eric Dickerson for those who don't recognize him)

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back