I have always heard people talk about Jimmy Cheek

SpeedyVOL

and his obsession with academics. I found out first hand at the UT Pep Rally at Jacksonville Landing. I spoke with him for probably 10 minutes about the football team and Butch Jones. Every time (and I do mean EVERY time) I would talk about our on field or recruiting success, he would mention academics. Don't get me wrong, I am proud that we are getting better academically, but seriously, academics is all he wanted to talk about. Sorry if this is a "cool story bro."

He's the chancellor of the university, not the chancellor of the football team. The University of Tennessee is an academic institution and if it surprises you that he talks about academics, that's your own problem.

His entire mission as chancellor has been improving the school in academic rankings. (And it has become a significantly better institution since the 80s and 90s).

Reactions: 27 people
He's the chancellor of the university, not the chancellor of the football team. The University of Tennessee is an academic institution and if it surprises you that he talks about academics, that's your own problem.

His entire mission as chancellor has been improving the school in academic rankings. (And it has become a significantly better institution since the 80s and 90s).

I understand this but I'm sure he realizes that football is a huge moneymaker for the university.

If I am a student not on athletic scholarship(aka almost all of them), or a parent of a student, I should hope the president cares more about academics than Athletics.

Doesn't mean he can't also have the best interest of the athletics in mind.

The successes of each are not mutually exclusive

Reactions: 8 people
I understand this but I'm sure he realizes that football is a huge moneymaker for the university.

A university that can still exist without a football team.

UT is still a place of higher learning first and his responsibility is to raise that as best he can

Reactions: 6 people
That conversation with someone like Dave Hart would go a lot more toward what you're looking for and it makes sense.

Reactions: 3 people
How dare he, we have all seen the guy, I hate to pre judge someone but im guessing he isnt all that into sports.
as much as I love my Vols, he IS making the state university better, which in turn would make the state better and maybe a better society. Not sure beating Iowa is quite as important.

Good for him.

Reactions: 3 people
We aint come here to cheer for CLASSES! We came here to cheer for FOOTBALL! Classes are POINTLESS

Reactions: 5 people
The man is at a UT PEP RALLY.

If there is one place that Cheek acknowledging the football team would be appropriate, it would be there.

Reactions: 4 people
Sometimes I think some fans truly believe the university exists solely for athletics.

Reactions: 4 people
Sometimes I think some fans truly believe the university exists solely for athletics.

yeah, not sure why the handed me a piece of paper with my name on it after crossing a stage, i was just trying to better wifi to watch more hype videos. weird.

some people are too much like Forest Gump
"And after only four years I was a college graduate"

He hasn't hurt recruiting yet. In he case of Dobbs, you could argue academics helped.

I have given Butch a fair amount of criticism, but I love seeing guys commit that are offered by both Bama and Duke. You know that guy:

1- will qualify

2 has talent

3- will understand schemes

yeah, not sure why the handed me a piece of paper with my name on it after crossing a stage, i was just trying to better wifi to watch more hype videos. weird.

some people are too much like Forest Gump
"And after only four years I was a college graduate"
Its not

This would be the exact same thing as accusing Hart of being overly concerned with sports. Hopefully you took something away from that conversation. If you didn't, sounds like it might be your fault

I see both sides of this fence. I'd love for him to be very supportive of athletics, but understand his primary responsibility is and should be to elevate the academic status of UT.
Lets meet in the middle. Perhaps if the OP had broached the subject of the team's record GPA, he may have been more inclined to "cave" into applauding athletic endeavors. That's my theory for what it's worth. Probably not much use and I'm okay with that.

I love seeing guys commit that are offered by both Bama and Duke. You know that guy:

1- will qualify

2 has talent

3- will understand schemes

^this^
I've used a similar matrix to assess recruits' projections over the years.

and his obsession with academics. I found out first hand at the UT Pep Rally at Jacksonville Landing. I spoke with him for probably 10 minutes about the football team and Butch Jones. Every time (and I do mean EVERY time) I would talk about our on field or recruiting success, he would mention academics. Don't get me wrong, I am proud that we are getting better academically, but seriously, academics is all he wanted to talk about. Sorry if this is a "cool story bro."

Did you actually expect anything but the party line?

Serious question, what exactly has he done that has raised the ire of so many UT fans? The kids who didn't make in the last few years were pretty much all clearinghouse cases. So, I'm totally lost as to why he gets so much hate.

VN Store

Back