Backup QB?

AdamT

We seem to have found a formula that is working for us here. The mobile QB aspect has completely opened up our run game and our WR's (when they're all healthy).

With that said, are any of the 15 or 16 recruits good, mobile QBs? I don't know that i've ever seen a mobile QB's longevity rival that of a pocket passer, and with Dobbs running as much as he currently is, It would be gut wrenching to see him go down with an injury and have Peterman come in as the back up.

Reactions: 1 person
Since both Jennings and Dormady have offers from Alabama, I would say they have great potential.

Sorry- I meant to say "HAD" since we have them on campus and signed!!!!

Since both Jennings and Dormady have offers from Alabama, I would say they have great potential.

wonder which one gets RS

wonder which one gets RS

Gets TO BE redshirted you mean?...Depending on whether Peterman transfers or not, my guess is Dormady backs up Dobbs and JJ gets to work on his game.

The freshman who learns the playbook the quickest and shows SEC level composure will be the backup. The other(s) will red-shirt. Hopefully, injuries will not derail that.

Reactions: 4 people
What a great problem to have! (2) 4-Star phenomenal HS QB's on an up trending team with a potentially game changing defense.

Wasn't the former Defensive Lineman from a couple of seasons ago a former Alabama player? He under performed here at U.T.
Just because Alabama recruited you or just because you wore the Alabama uniform but never saw the field does that make you a good player.

Sorta like Dooley being a good coach because he came from his dad's loins.

Reactions: 2 people
We seem to have found a formula that is working for us here. The mobile QB aspect has completely opened up our run game and our WR's (when they're all healthy).

With that said, are any of the 15 or 16 recruits good, mobile QBs? I don't know that i've ever seen a mobile QB's longevity rival that of a pocket passer, and with Dobbs running as much as he currently is, It would be gut wrenching to see him go down with an injury and have Peterman come in as the back up.

If I have a great offensive line, I will take a pocket passer all day long. If I have a horrible or average offensive line, I take a running q.b. who can escape trouble.

Notice that Pittsburgh lost the Superbowl in 2010 against Green Bay because Pittsburgh had no real depth on the line and they had many injuries on the line that season. Thus they lost to Green Bay because Ben could to scramble out of trouble. Sure Ben can run from sideline to sideline to buy time to throw the ball down field but he seldom runs past the line of scrimmage. That is why they lost the SuperBowl.

Look at all of the top NFL q.b.'s Manning, Brady, Rodgers. They are pocket passers. Of course, you have your second tier of top players such as Wilson & S.F. q.b. but the top q.b.'s are pocket passers.

Q.B. #1 is Vince Young. He can't read a defense so if his primary receiver is not open, he runs for it. He gains 4 yards and the clock continues to run and he risks injury with each run that he makes. Meanwhile, while he was running his second receiver was wide open in the end zone and he missed that because he was running.

Q.B. # 2 is a pocket passer. He knows that most d.b.'s can only cover a receiver for maybe 4 seconds, so he stands in the pocket and waits for one of his receivers to come open. then he completes a pass for the 1st down and more and the clock stops to move the chains and he does not risk injury.

Q.B. #2. got the 1st down. stopped the clock. & he kept himself healthy.

Q.B. #1. didn't get the 1st down. didn't stop the clock and risked injury....

Poor offensive line = running q.b. Great offensive line = pocket passer.

Jennings is going to be very exciting to watch. He needs to be on the field even if he is not qb.

Wasn't the former Defensive Lineman from a couple of seasons ago a former Alabama player? He under performed here at U.T.
Just because Alabama recruited you or just because you wore the Alabama uniform but never saw the field does that make you a good player.

Sorta like Dooley being a good coach because he came from his dad's loins.

It is good place to start though.

It is good place to start though.

When they have the past 5 or 6 #1 (not top 10) recruiting classes, they are probably not filling too many positions with projects. If Bama is on the offer list, then it's a better sign than another star given buy a few guys who played HS or got a journalism degree IMO. Notwithstanding the fact that our systems are somewhat different.

BTW, the DT was named Darrington Sentimore. He did a good job for us and started. Would have been pretty good his SR year IMO, but bad grades iirc caused him to make a premature NFL draft declaration. Not All-American, but neither were the other 84 scholly players on our roster.

An offer from Alabama means nothing on Vol Nation. If I read it once, I read a thousand times on here that Scott McCarron was a no talent and merely a game manager.

If I have a great offensive line, I will take a pocket passer all day long. If I have a horrible or average offensive line, I take a running q.b. who can escape trouble.

Notice that Pittsburgh lost the Superbowl in 2010 against Green Bay because Pittsburgh had no real depth on the line and they had many injuries on the line that season. Thus they lost to Green Bay because Ben could to scramble out of trouble. Sure Ben can run from sideline to sideline to buy time to throw the ball down field but he seldom runs past the line of scrimmage. That is why they lost the SuperBowl.

Look at all of the top NFL q.b.'s Manning, Brady, Rodgers. They are pocket passers. Of course, you have your second tier of top players such as Wilson & S.F. q.b. but the top q.b.'s are pocket passers.

Q.B. #1 is Vince Young. He can't read a defense so if his primary receiver is not open, he runs for it. He gains 4 yards and the clock continues to run and he risks injury with each run that he makes. Meanwhile, while he was running his second receiver was wide open in the end zone and he missed that because he was running.

Q.B. # 2 is a pocket passer. He knows that most d.b.'s can only cover a receiver for maybe 4 seconds, so he stands in the pocket and waits for one of his receivers to come open. then he completes a pass for the 1st down and more and the clock stops to move the chains and he does not risk injury.

Q.B. #2. got the 1st down. stopped the clock. & he kept himself healthy.

Q.B. #1. didn't get the 1st down. didn't stop the clock and risked injury....

Poor offensive line = running q.b. Great offensive line = pocket passer.
Makes sense to me.

You guys see where Everett Golson is looking to transfer and has reached out to LSU? Bet he would be successful in Jones system...

With the weapons we have at WR, if healthy, a pocket passer will work better than one who runs before throwing. A pocket passer has the whole field to throw to whereas the runner only one side of the field. WRs prefer a pocket passer. Problem is our OL is subpar and the QB must be mobile. If Dobbs can improve his accuracy and the OL blocks for him, we will be awesome next year. The backup will be determined not only who performs best, but could possibly depend on how good or bad the OL is next year.

A.J. McCarron maybe?? I think Scott McCarron was a PGA tour player out of UCLA. He won 3 PGA Tour events, and 4 other team events like the Franklin Templeton Shark Shootout (Greg Norman's old tournament).

Last edited:
I would say Dormady will be ahead of Jennings, seems coaches sons grasp concepts quicker, I guess they may be more students of the game.

Good question since most think Peterman transfers and if indeed he does transfer, it will be a true frosh backing up Dobb's..........heaven forbid injury to Dobb's.....but this is big boy football and injuries will and do happen
Go Vol's

It's way too early for this question, but this will be a most talked about question: who's backing up Dobb's?
Could this be one of the more important questions to be answered this spring/fall? Yes most definately
Now, there is different feeling in the air, concerning the future of Tennessee football and rightly so
Go Vol's

Probably one of the freshman quarterbacks,I think Peterman will transfer.
Why? He is one play away from being the qb when the season starts. He was 2nd on the depth chart, behind Worley. He was ahead of Dobbs and Ferguson earlier in the Spring. Dobbs has passed him, but the coaches thought that he and Worley were about even, going into the season.

If he can get some meaningful playing time behind an improved line, against a team that is not a dominant defense, he can get some confidence, and play football.

They're not going to UTC with him.

What is your source for Peterman going to UTC ?

Peterman has been in Jones' system for 2 years now. It is doubtful that a freshman who has never played a down of SEC football is going to beat out Peterman for the back-up role. Jennings needs a lot of work on his throwing mechanics and Dormady has problems with torn tissue in his labrum.

VN Store

Back