Time for Coach Mathews 9 AM EST

BigOrangeD

Got Bitcoin?
104.5 The Zone

Probably 10 EEs.

Coach Mathews spoke to someone on the inside and heard we take 25 to 29 new bodies for next year to include all RS, GS, Transfers, etc.

Mathews:

Lots of Fundamental Improvement in the Bowl Game.

Outstanding Kick Coverage.

Great momentum going into next year.

Lots of improvement this season.

Really helped recruiting.

Based on his experience: May lose some non core coaches at Coaches Convention within a week or so.

Last edited:
I have a hard time listening to any sports station that covers UT. Theyre all so dry and boring.

The sports shows we have in Raleigh blow this out of the water. Especially Steve Logan.

I think our kick coverage was the best I've seen since I don't know when. Special teams played very good all around.

Reactions: 2 people
I have a hard time listening to any sports station that covers UT. Theyre all so dry and boring.

The sports shows we have in Raleigh blow this out of the water. Especially Steve Logan.

Mathews has very good info. Only reason I listen.

Reactions: 3 people
Mathews on Recruiting:

Much better talent and deph.

Kyle Phillips: A little lighter than D Barnett. Will be EE.
Played some LB in HS.

Justin Martin: Come in after Spring Semester. Must graduate first. Huge get at CB. Great, Great player.
Reminds him of Mosley. 3 years to play. Will be Soph.

Great recruiting out of Middle TN. Lots of high quality players being produced.

About 10 EEs: 2 QBs coming in is huge. Kamara will be very, very good. Tuttle, Jack Jones, Chance Hall, Griffin, Butcher, Phillips, Kirkland.

Position Eval: Every position needs depth upgrade.
2nd full recruiting class for Jones. Will be very, very close in depth need after 2015 class.
Kicker will be very good. Current LS may come back.
Darr leaving and Townsend probable replacement at punter. Brother punts for gators.

Kicking game should be excellent next year and be a winning edge next year.

Easier to find and evaluate kickers now days.

Need to get better at return game but still will be good.

Reactions: 5 people
Mathews:

Only 2 seniors will really be missed.

Where most improvement is needed next year. 4 key areas:

Middle LB:

Biggest question mark on defense. Jakob Johnson could be very good but very inexperieinced. Really needs a RS year but probably will not RS.

Bates probably be starter at MLB.

Gavin Bryant: Will be in mix

Kirkland: EE will be in mix. Firstt true MLB in 4-3 we have recruited.

Offensive Tackle:

Biggest need on Offense.
Blair will be the key here. Is getting better.

Kendrick and Sander could compete.

Jack Jones and Chance Hall could compete for tackle. Likes Jones nastiness.

Have enough quality players to be good at center and guard.

When you can RS at every position, then you have the depth needed. Olineman should almost never play as freshman.

Defensive Tackle:

Owen Williams, D Obrien, Mixon: will be serviceable.
In good shape with Tuttle and KMAC.

Corner Back:

Really need to add talent. 2 Quality CBs in Mosley and Sutton but nothing behind them. Will be addressed this recruiting class.

Mathews:

Middle LB:

Biggest question mark on defense. Jakob Johnson could be very good but very inexperieinced. Really needs a RS year but probably will not RS.

Offensive Tackle:

Biggest need on Offense.

When you can RS at every position, then you have the depth needed. Olineman should almost never play as freshman.

Defensive Tackle:

Corner Back:

Really need to add talent. 2 Quality CBs in Mosley and Sutton but nothing behind them. Will be addressed this recruiting class.

Now you dont have to type the rest of it :) Rest your fingers!

Reactions: 1 person

Nashville sports talk is way different than Knoxville sports talk. As much I love my Vols, I'd jump out a window if I had to listen to the non stop Vols radio in Knoxville. Doug Matthews gives us "one hour" of Vols talk every Sunday morning.

Reactions: 1 person
More on Recruiting:

Still looking for RB and OT. Only 2 they are really looking at. If a great player comes along, will def take him.

2 areas must be strong in:
LOS: 5 Olinemen and 4 Dlinemen.

7 Dlinemen committed is huge.

Good CB recruiting.

2 good QBs coming in. Nothing said about Jones.

2 OTs coming in as EE. Need at least one to be good for next season.

Need to get where we can RS Olinemen.

Good teams have many RS players in their 2 deep. Mizzou has 30 to 36 players.

Recruiting going extremely well. Some players will not be kept and some others we have not heard about may commit. Fluid.

I think he said we would sign 25. But it could go to 28 or 29 with gray shirt and people leaving.

Mathews:

Middle LB:

Offensive Tackle:

Biggest need on Offense.

Defensive Tackle:

Corner Back:

I think Bryant or Weathered will start at MLB. We will finally have a hand full of DT's to rotate in and out.

Weathered isnt a MLB... and we only play 2 LB's most of the time in the nickel... and JRM has his spot on lock down, so Bates,Bryant,Johnson and Kirkland will compete for the MLB job... this may give JJ the opprotunity to RS and get more experience

Why no love for Kenny Bynum? I thought he played a decent game and apparently kept the defense in the right calls. I know he made plenty of errors but thats not suprising considering it was his first start. A few bad reads here and there and a few missed taclkes but an overall solid performance with potential IMO. Possibly a little slow?

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
Why no love for Kenny Bynum? I thought he played a decent game and apparently kept the defense in the right calls.

This! I don't see how Bynum wouldn't at the very least be Bate's back up and perhaps in on certain defensive packages. Barring injury (I know, a big if considering our luck), I don't see why Jacob COULDN'T redshirt.

VN Store

Back