Best prepared bowl team

btate

The Vols were one of the best prepared bowl teams I have seen , maybe since the 1998 championship game with FSU. Give Butch Jones credit.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree. We have a tendency to either look really well prepared, or really uninterested/unprepared. This was a case of the former. It was good to see. One of the more resounding victories I've seen us have in a bowl. In addition to those mentioned above. I'll also throw in a really old school one. Beat BC pretty soundly in the early-mid '90's. I wanna say that was even before Peyton. I think it was Heath Shuler? Man, maybe even Andy Kelly.

The final score was in no way indicative of how much better we were than Iowa. That game was over in the second quarter.

Reactions: 19 people
I agree. We have a tendency to either look really well prepared, or really uninterested/unprepared. This was a case of the former. It was good to see. One of the more resounding victories I've seen us have in a bowl. In addition to those mentioned above. I'll also throw in a really old school one. Beat BC pretty soundly in the early-mid '90's. I wanna say that was even before Peyton. I think it was Heath Shuler? Man, maybe even Andy Kelly.

Shuler

Tennessee obviously were well-prepared and it showed. Iowa's team was on the grind it out mentality with their big boys and that works well if the other team can't stop you but when they faced us we just got out to a big lead so fast the grind-it-out team just couldn't hang. The VOLS looked really unstoppable--a far cry from the You-know-who's philosophy of get ahead by 3 pts and try to run the clock out. THIS is the coach and team philosophy I've been waiting years for--we finally got it right! Next year will definitely be better but watch out 2016--BOOM!

I don't have concrete statistical evidence. But, I believe that this is the case for all college football teams. A lot changes routine and distraction wise from the last season game to the bowl game. Often one team is highly motivated by the "big bowl opportunity", while the other is sometimes on a downer due to a season disappointment etc.

Plus these are not seasoned professional athletes all in a sudden death playoff game with a max of a one week layoff. Unfortunately IMO, fans seem to put too much weight on how teams fare and how conferences compare.

not sure anyone could beat TCU right now....they looked unstoppable on New Year's Eve and most of the year. I know Baylor beat them earlier and Oregon may be the only team with a chance right now....came into their prime at the end of the season.

Reactions: 1 person
The final score was in no way indicative of how much better we were than Iowa. That game was over in the second quarter.
No doubt about it. We were in complete control from the opening kickoff. We could have put up 70 if we had wanted to.

The Vols were one of the best prepared bowl teams I have seen , maybe since the 1998 championship game with FSU. Give Butch Jones credit.

The year we curbstomped Michigan was a year we were well prepared.

not sure anyone could beat TCU right now....they looked unstoppable on New Year's Eve and most of the year. I know Baylor beat them earlier and Oregon may be the only team with a chance right now....came into their prime at the end of the season.

I watched that.game. On 4th down Baylor got a phantom PI call that led them to scoring thenon 4th down for TCU obvious PI but the refs must have covered their eyes. TCU should have won.

Last edited:
Reminded me of that beating we put on the Aggies 10 years ago in the Cotton Bowl. Except we could have hung 70 on Iowa. They came out flat and we came at full speed. Once they botched that ridiculous kickoff return, the game was over. Iowa was too deflated to even manage a fight.

I don't have concrete statistical evidence. But, I believe that this is the case for all college football teams. A lot changes routine and distraction wise from the last season game to the bowl game. Often one team is highly motivated by the "big bowl opportunity", while the other is sometimes on a downer due to a season disappointment etc.

Plus these are not seasoned professional athletes all in a sudden death playoff game with a max of a one week layoff. Unfortunately IMO, fans seem to put too much weight on how teams fare and how conferences compare.

Agree. I also see this pattern anecdotally with other teams. Posted on this topic in the "What bowl practice can achieve.." thread. The hit or miss nature of the bowl performances.

If you have a team of upper classmen that failed to meet expectations, then odds are they're going to mail it in for a 3rd tier bowl game. If you have a team like UT that was starving for a bowl bid and young then...you see what happens when 1 team is motivated and 1 isn't.

Now, that doesn't take away from UT's performance AT ALL. UT still had to go out and execute the game plan, which they did to near perfection. Great job by the staff and players.

No team in any bowl I watched this season were better prepared for a bowl game than the Vols. CBJ had his team fired up and prepared to play on both sides of the ball and special teams from the first second of game
Butch gets it.

VN Store

Back