Pardon my venting...

BrewHawk

My sentiments that I posted on the Iowa board. Thought I'd share here since you guys have been such good sports. Tennessee will be SEC East champs (at minimum) next year. Don't prove me wrong.

No fun.

When you're playing football at Iowa you'd better win, because other than success, there isn't much other to be excited about or enjoy.

Our players have been coached into being professional, emotionless automatons who don't get a variety of uniforms to choose from (that's fun), don't get to run an offense that showcases their abilities and/or deceive the opponent (that's fun) and don't get to speak their minds as developing adults (that's important).

When you play football at Iowa, you are lead by a man who expects you to become one and hopes you will fulfill your dreams to become an NFL player (or graduate with a degree). He does this with the hopes that his utopian approach will attract recruits who want to accomplish the same things through hard work, discipline and levelheadedness.

Unfortunately, many recruits who came to Iowa not realizing this path would need to be followed didn't like it and left, placing underdeveloped and underprepared players to compete against guys with who they had no business being on the same field. This lead to poor performance by the team as a whole and less and less fun for the program, because as mentioned before, at Iowa winning is the only way a player can truly have fun.

What we're left with at this point is a program devoid of difference making athletes. They've all gone the way of the flashy glitter that other programs provide, while we at Iowa continue to stay the course, work hard, be professional and now at this point, be incredibly boring. We expect players who don't have the athletic ability of their opponents to execute plays to perfection, with anything less by any single player leading to the failure of a play. After all, if every one of our players can't execute on a professional level every single play for an entire drive, they don't deserve to succeed anyway.

I've been one who has been a staunch supporter of Kirk Ferentz because I see what he's trying to accomplish and appreciate the means he uses to achieve the ends. However, at this point I am extremely concerned because this year was supposed to be a successful one and it wasn't, not by any definition. Fans are unhappy, ticket sales/gate attendance will be down next year (significantly) and the money is going to start to dry up if success doesn't return.

Iowa needs an injection of fun. It doesn't hurt anything to get the guys excited about what they're doing, rather than have them excited purely for the perfect execution of the game of football. It might even attract some players we might not have otherwise gotten, which will allow Ferentz to continue to pursue his right way of doing things that I appreciate so much. In the meantime, he's a victim of his own no-fun atmosphere/perception that he has created.

Reactions: 25 people
It's almost like when we had Derek dooley as coach. I understand your frustration, trust me. Hopefully yall will hire a proven winner if ferenz is fired because yall have a great fanbase and deserve a winning program. Good luck to yall and thank you for being a very classy opponent, go vols go!

Reactions: 5 people
Best of luck to you guys in the future. I had nothing but good interactions with your fans at the stadium today.

Reactions: 2 people
Brew,
Enjoyed your posts the past month. I feel for you bro. We got caught in a similar morass at the end of the Fulmer era, but unfortunately went from the pan into the fire.

Better fortune next year.

Reactions: 6 people
It's almost like when we had Derek dooley as coach. I understand your frustration, trust me. Hopefully yall will hire a proven winner if ferenz is fired because yall have a great fanbase and deserve a winning program. Good luck to yall and thank you for being a very classy opponent, go vols go!

Well Ferentz >>> Fooley

at least he can win some

Reactions: 1 person
Best of luck Brew.

We've been through the ringer several times the past 10 seasons - the past 6 being extremely tough - finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Hopefully you've got a good AD to make the right decisions for Hawkeyes football.

Wouldn't mind seeing you guys win your conference and division - there is no love lost for tOSU, Michigan, Nebraska or Penn State down here.

Reactions: 3 people
My sentiments that I posted on the Iowa board. Thought I'd share here since you guys have been such good sports. Tennessee will be SEC East champs (at minimum) next year. Don't prove me wrong.

No fun.

When you're playing football at Iowa you'd better win, because other than success, there isn't much other to be excited about or enjoy.

Our players have been coached into being professional, emotionless automatons who don't get a variety of uniforms to choose from (that's fun), don't get to run an offense that showcases their abilities and/or deceive the opponent (that's fun) and don't get to speak their minds as developing adults (that's important).

When you play football at Iowa, you are lead by a man who expects you to become one and hopes you will fulfill your dreams to become an NFL player (or graduate with a degree). He does this with the hopes that his utopian approach will attract recruits who want to accomplish the same things through hard work, discipline and levelheadedness.

Unfortunately, many recruits who came to Iowa not realizing this path would need to be followed didn't like it and left, placing underdeveloped and underprepared players to compete against guys with who they had no business being on the same field. This lead to poor performance by the team as a whole and less and less fun for the program, because as mentioned before, at Iowa winning is the only way a player can truly have fun.

What we're left with at this point is a program devoid of difference making athletes. They've all gone the way of the flashy glitter that other programs provide, while we at Iowa continue to stay the course, work hard, be professional and now at this point, be incredibly boring. We expect players who don't have the athletic ability of their opponents to execute plays to perfection, with anything less by any single player leading to the failure of a play. After all, if every one of our players can't execute on a professional level every single play for an entire drive, they don't deserve to succeed anyway.

I've been one who has been a staunch supporter of Kirk Ferentz because I see what he's trying to accomplish and appreciate the means he uses to achieve the ends. However, at this point I am extremely concerned because this year was supposed to be a successful one and it wasn't, not by any definition. Fans are unhappy, ticket sales/gate attendance will be down next year (significantly) and the money is going to start to dry up if success doesn't return.

Iowa needs an injection of fun. It doesn't hurt anything to get the guys excited about what they're doing, rather than have them excited purely for the perfect execution of the game of football. It might even attract some players we might not have otherwise gotten, which will allow Ferentz to continue to pursue his right way of doing things that I appreciate so much. In the meantime, he's a victim of his own no-fun atmosphere/perception that he has created.

Hey Brewhawk..your insightful and a credit to the Hawkeyes fan base ..your a true fan. I wish nothing but the best for the program you represent.

Reactions: 4 people

No fun.

Nice post. Ya'll got crushed.

and we thought Derek Dooley's payout for getting fired was insane.....well it was but it's chicken scratch compared to Ferentz 13.3 million. If I was him I would ask to be fired.

87877-the-world-needs-ditch-diggers-RO6L.jpeg

I for one will be pulling for Iowa going forward. The fanbase has shown for the most part to be very classy and deserves a winner. Hopefully we can play you guys again sometime in the CFB playoff.

VN Store

Back