Adjusting

keckjm

IMO, this bowl win was a must for Butch and this team. However, we had a lot of circumstances not fall in our favor leading up to this game such as injuries, transfers, AJ situation, etc..

I was really anxious to see how Butch and staff handled these problems over the last month. Would it cause distractions? Would we come out flat due to the lack of focus after New Years? Would we lose focus during the game if it didn't go our way at first? A lot of questions needed to be answered today.

IMO, there are a few things we KNOW to be facts as of now in terms of Butch Jones:

1. Butch DOES NOT PLAY AROUND. He will cut guys every year. He understands what the needs are here, and if you don't meet those needs you will be replaced. This creates competition from the get go. From now on, players will earn their scholarship here.

2. Butch knows how to adjust. Ellis looked great at TE today. We didn't miss Helm at all. When Barnett went down, Mixon, a DT all year, stepped in and did a fine job. This staff simply doesn't get caught with their pants down during games.

3. Butch is a conservative risk taker. We will take risk in games only when we feel the odds of completing a trick play are very high. Don't expect Butch to go wild on crazy calls. He has a few tricks up his sleeve, but he will only show them when the conditions are in his liking.

4. Butch knows how to recruit and develop talent. When Hurd went out of the game, our offense went flat. Dobbs saved our season, and Barnett is a monster. A lot of Butch's players are winning these games for us. That's a good sign moving forward.

5. Butch doesn't accept "half-time accomplishments". I, to this day, cringe at the start of every 3rd quarter after watching Dooley's teams for 3 years. Luckily, we don't come out flat in the second half anymore under Butch. Adjustments are made during the half, and the focus and energy is always there no matter the final outcome. It's a nice change compared to the Dooley days...

6. Finally, yet most importantly, Butch, is a leader of men. His confidence and energy is contagious. Our teams under Butch won't give up no matter what.

So, in close, great win today! Next agenda, closing strong on NSD. Go VOLS :rock:

Reactions: 9 people
Glad to see you figured it out after 2 years. Nothing gets by you.

FYI - I live near Tuscaloosa- I am a loner but have a way of getting under Bammers skin even when we are bad.

Texted them early saying UT would have to salvage some SEC respect. They said it would be a bad year if it comes to that! so later in first half texted them saying damn our offense looks like Ohio State running wild. And just think it all started in 2nd half of Alabama game. THANKS!

I think they unfriended me on there "wall".

Now I've got this to hold them up with for a year now😘😬

Reactions: 2 people
4. Butch knows how to recruit and develop talent. When Hurd went out of the game, our offense went flat. Dobbs saved our season, and Barnett is a monster. A lot of Butch's players are winning these games for us. That's a good sign moving forward.

He indeed is a monster. He plays like he hates QB's. Some times he scares me with his hits on them after they have clearly gotten rid of the ball. Love the fire he plays with but I hope he learns to keep it under control. I would hate for one of these hits to cost us a close game late in the 4th quarter.

But I do love his fire!!!:good!:

I agree with must win but the rest of your post is well.. wearing orange colored glasses.. they did great today but against sec talent this staff has struggled. Recruiting well and need to keep that up..

I agree with must win but the rest of your post is well.. wearing orange colored glasses.. they did great today but against sec talent this staff has struggled. Recruiting well and need to keep that up..

We played a walkon and a guard at LT this year. We have the worst o-line I've ever seen. That's not on Butch at the moment. Now, come 2016, if the OL still sucks, well, that won't be good news for this staff, especially Mahoney. As of now, I have no reason to doubt Butch's ability to get the job done here, but the OT recruiting has to get better.
Allen/St. Louis would go a long way to helping this issue.

VN Store

Back