Story for Butch...

chattavol420

I've been thrilled at how Butch works (recruits) and represents our program. But we could be way more successful if he just had a little more courage on game day. I heard a telling story this morning. Espn was doing a profile on urban Meyer. As a high school baseball player his dad once made him walk home from a game because he struck out looking. I think that helped urban understand how important it is to take chances and leave it all in the field. I also listened to a press conference earlier this year in which Nick Saban used the word aggressive about 15 times in 5 minutes.
So my question is how many times has Butch struck out looking the past two seasons? Certainly he did against Florida. Muschamp made decisions that Butch was too scared to make and won the game. I believe against Mizzou again Butch was just way too conservative to win that game. I mean we could have had a possession at the end of the half with excellent field position and nearly three minutes left, yet we basically took a knee. And against uga we were ultra conservative. Last year we totally blew the Vandy game that we were firmly in control of by deciding to shift what we had been doing to try to run out the clock and play field position.
Maybe Butch's dad should have made him walk home from a baseball game as a teenager. We just can't win big at this level without being aggressive. On fourth and short inside our opponents territory we have to make aggressive decisions. And with regard to personell the same applies. We need our best players on the field even if they are not the most experienced.

Reactions: 9 people
I've been thrilled at how Butch works (recruits) and represents our program. But we could be way more successful if he just had a little more courage on game day. I heard a telling story this morning. Espn was doing a profile on urban Meyer. As a high school baseball player his dad once made him walk home from a game because he struck out looking. I think that helped urban understand how important it is to take chances and leave it all in the field. I also listened to a press conference earlier this year in which Nick Saban used the word aggressive about 15 times in 5 minutes.
So my question is how many times has Butch struck out looking the past two seasons? Certainly he did against Florida. Muschamp made decisions that Butch was too scared to make and won the game. I believe against Mizzou again Butch was just way too conservative to win that game. I mean we could have had a possession at the end of the half with excellent field position and nearly three minutes left, yet we basically took a knee. And against uga we were ultra conservative. Last year we totally blew the Vandy game that we were firmly in control of by deciding to shift what we had been doing to try to run out the clock and play field position.
Maybe Butch's dad should have made him walk home from a baseball game as a teenager. We just can't win big at this level without being aggressive. On fourth and short inside our opponents territory we have to make aggressive decisions. And with regard to personell the same applies. We need our best players on the field even if they are not the most experienced.

Fake field goal for a TD is textbook sign of conservative playcalling.

Let's find original reasons to bash the coaching staff! Like...maybe his diet is affecting his decision making? Or perhaps his fashion sense needs a little work to connect with young recruits. Anything but a tired old refrain that nosebleed fans yell from the top row.

THROW 'ER DEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Can we make enough negative comments about this amazingly stupid post that someone will delete it? Dad should have made him walk home from baseball games? Really?

Reactions: 1 person

Let's find original reasons to bash the coaching staff! Like...maybe his diet is affecting his decision making? Or perhaps his fashion sense needs a little work to connect with young recruits. Anything but a tired old refrain that nosebleed fans yellow from the top row.

Butch needs to wear more sunscreen, IMO.

Looks a little sunburned at times and melanoma is no joke.

Reactions: 2 people

Then if you like Urban Meyer so much go pull for Ohio St. Meyer can take more chances because of the jobs he takes on. Florida had a lot of talent when he took over. So did Ohio St. Tressel left him a lot of talent. Dooley and Kiffin left Butch Jones not very much SEC talent. If you got the talent you can take more chances.

I'm guessing you never even stepped up to the plate. You probably have a room full of participation trophies.

Reactions: 8 people

Let's find original reasons to bash the coaching staff! Like...maybe his diet is affecting his decision making? Or perhaps his fashion sense needs a little work to connect with young recruits. Anything but a tired old refrain that nosebleed fans yellow from the top row.

Yes. The entire season he made one gutsy call. And it worked. So what does he do five minutes later. He takes a knee with three minutes remaining. People can hate all they want but...Butch has got to freaking grow a pair if We are ever going to win big.

I'm guessing you never even stepped up to the plate. You probably have a room full of participation trophies.

Lol. Me calling him out on it means I've never taken any chances. That makes no sense. Yes I definitely stepped up to the plate. Are rarely stuck out looking. That's not to say I was good or anything. Haha. But at least I wasn't afraid to try.

making a kid walk home because he struck out in a game, sounds like a real @sshole thing to do IMO

Reactions: 11 people
It's funny how the OP makes a valid argument that many of us have said on gamedays when we lose, but instead of having actual discussion most people just make fun of him or resort to name calling.

Legions of the miserable.

Reactions: 4 people
Remember back in the 90's when Phil was winning all those games and we all called him the "riverboat gambler"? Oh wait nevermind............

At some point a team should get tired of losing. notre dame lost their last four games going into the music city bowl vs. lsu as an underdog . They played tough , physical, and aggressive on both sides of the ball and had a young defense. Yet they scored 30+ on the SEC's #1 D.
Who cares about nd. Just thought they were an example of a team fed up with losing. :yes:

VN Store

Back