Bowl Games ... Observations

OrangeByBirth

Old time Vol
I have been able to watch all or part of all of the games to this point. I'm now fully qualified to do official reviews from the booth after listening to all of the announcers show their ignorance. However, I have some observations:

The joy and fear surrounding Nike seems overstated. It doesn't matter which side you are on.

1. So far, Miami was hideous with their uniform choice.
2. Maryland's helmets remain at the bottom of the food chain.
3. Most Nike schools were apparent only by the swoosh and uniforms were "traditional."
4. The UGA uniforms must have been specially designed for the drooling fools from Athens. It looked like they all were wearing bibs!

It is also pretty apparent that teams that are on the move upward are very competitive in bowls. Perhaps it is hunger or maybe it is apathy on the other side. At any rate it seems to bode pretty well for the BIG ORANGE! If they aren't hungry they probably can't qualify for admission.

I can't wait! Bring on FRIDAY! GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 2 people
Maryland's uniforms looks like the uniforms of shock troops in some lame tween book Dystopian future where hair product and glitter is still readily available.

It seriously looks like a unicorn threw up and that's what they went with.

I have to say, so far, from what I've watched. The officiating has been pretty sad. Some of these games they seem to call a penalty on every stinkin play. Let the teams play for Pete's sake. I hate when they slow the game flow down.

Maryland's uniforms looks like the uniforms of shock troops in some lame tween book Dystopian future where hair product and glitter is still readily available.

First thing I thought of when I saw the maryland helmet....spray can street graffiti...while under the influence.

Reactions: 1 person

underrated post....like

I watch most games, but pay particular attention to teams UT will play next year. Bowling Green, GA, SC, and ARK have all won their games. All but SC return most of their players. ARK and GA dominated. It will be interesting to see how the Vols do in comparison. And yes, those uniforms MD has are the worst.

I forgot about OK. Not sure what to make of the beating Clemson put on them. They lose their OL, but still return Shepard, Perine, Knight, and Striker.

Last edited:
It is also pretty apparent that teams that are on the move upward are very competitive in bowls. Perhaps it is hunger or maybe it is apathy on the other side. At any rate it seems to bode pretty well for the BIG ORANGE! If they aren't hungry they probably can't qualify for admission.

Dobbs isn't hungry.

He ate 12 ribs yesterday.

Best game this year so far was BYU and Memphis. Unfortunately the thug mentality took over at the end and ruined it.

My observations..
1. Way to many bowls games... I know its fun for the kids but some of those bowls are atterrible locations and in a sux a$$ town.. not much fun for the fans or players

2. A ton of terrible football teams have played so far.. again at 6n6 you have to question do they really deserve to be there... I know that would put tn out but seriously tn was not a good team and at times looked terrible.

Six wins when you play 9 games yes but now you are up to 12 games move it to 7 or 8 min.
3. I'm so tired of at every halftime all they talk about are the playoff games.. they spend 2 mins on current teams playing and the rest on the 4 teams in playoff.. another reason to show that the other bowls mean nothing to ESPN.

Personally I have no clue on what tn team we get fri because they were so up and down the last part of the season.

LSU was robbed on the TD they scored at the end of the first half. I had seats with a clear view straight down the goal line. The ball broke the plane of the goal line well before the holder went down. I don't have a dog in this fight. I went just because I had a free ticket and I love football but the officials in this game, especially the replay official, really blew this call.

LSU was robbed on the TD they scored at the end of the first half. I had seats with a clear view straight down the goal line. The ball broke the plane of the goal line well before the holder went down. I don't have a dog in this fight. I went just because I had a free ticket and I love football but the officials in this game, especially the replay official, really blew this call.

That call blew my mind.

Watch controversial LSU fake field goal that was ruled no touchdown in Music City Bowl | AL.com

Watching the replay, again and again and again, there is no way his knee could have touched the ground before the ball broke the plane.

LSU deserves a public apology.

Last edited:
It was awful close, I can see missing the call live, but the replay clearly shows the ball breaking the plane before the knee is down. Assuming the replay official has the same replay and angles that we get to see....

I really don't care one way or the other, but just adds fire to the ESPN ND "love fest". The idiots on the radio were beside themselves after ND kicked the winning FG. Talking about ND being a "Championship caliber team"..."just wait until this team is healthy next season..." blah blah...sorry, I hate ND.

It was awful close, I can see missing the call live, but the replay clearly shows the ball breaking the plane before the knee is down. Assuming the replay official has the same replay and angles that we get to see....

I really don't care one way or the other, but just adds fire to the ESPN ND "love fest". The idiots on the radio were beside themselves after ND kicked the winning FG. Talking about ND being a "Championship caliber team"..."just wait until this team is healthy next season..." blah blah...sorry, I hate ND.
I hate nd. I've never really had a problem with LSU. I like watching them and usually pull for them until they play us. Then I hope they are crushed.

Best game this year so far was BYU and Memphis. Unfortunately the thug mentality took over at the end and ruined it.

I don't get it when people say this. I wish EVERY game ended in a fight lol. Show me a game between two teams that really hate each other, and I'll sign up for that every time.

If they had lost.. I could see it. But they won and they were still swinging fists and helmets.. All I'm saying is " act like you've been there."

If they had lost.. I could see it. But they won and they were still swinging fists and helmets.. All I'm saying is " act like you've been there."

And I guess you'd want the Vols to ignore another team starting a fight and hitting our guys with cheap shots? Riiight. Must be nice to be so perfect. If an Iowa player does anything like BYU did I hope we stomp them silly.

I watched the replay on you tube. I guess NACUA from BYU started it. They didn't say that on TV at the time. They really didn't know at the time of broadcast how it started. so if the BYU guy started it and Memphis reacted... then he got what he deserved. I stand corrected.

I've said it before and I'll say it again I HATE REPLAY. The only reason we have it in the first place is inept officials and now with replay they still can't even get it right! It's directly cost UT at least 3 games (LSU UNC Vandy) & probably GA last year. I saw that LSU play. They got hosed. I don't know how they could miss that either! EEEEEEEEEDIOTS!

VN Store

Back