Most Loyal Vol Fans

Cletus P Fulmer

I've lived all over the state and I know this will surprise many because of the great distance to Knoxville but there are no more rabid and loyal fans anywhere than are found in West Tennessee...and I'm telling you Shelby Co is a huge Tennessee bastion. Middle Tennessee is not the hotbed of Big Orange support you might think it is.

Reactions: 3 people
Count me as loyal.

Its 351 miles to Neyland Stadium and worth the drive.

I have worn ORANGE in some really crappy years.

Not sure what this thread is about, but...... GBO??

Reactions: 1 person
I've lived all over the state and I know this will surprise many because of the great distance to Knoxville but there are no more rabid and loyal fans anywhere than are found in West Tennessee...and I'm telling you Shelby Co is a huge Tennessee bastion. Middle Tennessee is not the hotbed of Big Orange support you might think it is.

Where'd that come from Cletus??? Nobody questioned yours or anyone else in west tn loyalty from the big orange, but thanks for the support.... Go vols!!!!

Count me as loyal.

Its 351 miles to Neyland Stadium and worth the drive.

I have worn ORANGE in some really crappy years.

Not sure what this thread is about, but...... GBO??

I saw this topic discussed on another Vol site and thought it might make for some good discussion here. I know West Tennesseans are often neglected as far as fan support and loyalty goes. You can stop in any convenience store anywhere in the west part of the state and see Tennessee shirts and caps for sale...some hard core fans in that part of the state...too many Bammers in Middle Tennessee.

I'm with ya.Cletus

Yep... we bleed orange here too... Me and my girls make the drive 2 or 3 times a year...

I've got a cool story bro...

Me and my boss were eating in bbq joint (imagine that) just outside of Memphis a couple of years ago. A guy walks in wearing an Alabama pullover. My boss started acting weird like he was pissed at something. We get up to leave and he walks over to the guy and asks him what part of Alabama he was from. The guy tells him, I'm not; I was born and raised in Ripley, TN. My boss fires back and says "Then why in the hell are you wearing that D*** pullover!?!" Guy sets there stunned, my boss walks off, and gets out the door and says; "sorry about that, but my God that felt good.":rock:

Reactions: 6 people
I saw this topic discussed on another Vol site and thought it might make for some good discussion here. I know West Tennesseans are often neglected as far as fan support and loyalty goes. You can stop in any convenience store anywhere in the west part of the state and see Tennessee shirts and caps for sale...some hard core fans in that part of the state...too many Bammers in Middle Tennessee.

Let's be honest, there is too many bammers period. That bandwagon is crazy full no matter what state your in, excluding bama.

Reactions: 2 people
Let's be honest, there is too many bammers period. That bandwagon is crazy full no matter what state your in, excluding bama.

Just like any other fan base that is winning national championships... This frat kid was in neyland this year when they were playing the old videos of us curb stomping bama in the 90s and he said to me in a smartAss way, you remember when tn was good in the 90s? And I replied you remember when you probably weren't even a bama fan... It pisses me off but whatever... Vol fans are without a doubt- die hard!!!!!

Reactions: 2 people
Fortunately I've never had to deal with that at a game, but I def see your point. No doubt all Vols today bleed orange. FTR truevol one of my coworkers is a bammer, you should also know he's from Chicago and grew up ,later, in Florida. Better believe I give him grief for that every chance I get.

Last edited:

I lived in Memphis for 2 years, (Bartlett and Cordova) I did not see much orange while I was there and the local radio stations were not especially friendly to the Big Orange. I grew up in Hendersonville and I can remember few that weren't UT fans growing up. In my experience, it is the exact opposite of what you are stating.

I spent my first 46 years in Memphis. I've spent the last 12 in middle TN. Great fans in both but in Memphis a Vol fan REALLY has to stand up for the Vols because all of the hate from the Tiger fans. I don't think the rest of the state realizes the hate the Tigers have for the Vols.

I live in a small town northeast of Nashville. I never saw anyone wearing bammer gear until 2 years ago. When I see one of these posers in our mall (walmart) I just ask them to spell Tuscaloosa. Friggin hilarious.

Reactions: 3 people
Lived in East Tennessee my whole life. I've met Vols all over the country, I'm drinking not sure what first thought was. Go Vols!

Lived in central Florida my whole life.. Family from Oliver springs. I was a vol since day 1 and wear tennessee stuff 2-3 times a week

I spent my first 46 years in Memphis. I've spent the last 12 in middle TN. Great fans in both but in Memphis a Vol fan REALLY has to stand up for the Vols because all of the hate from the Tiger fans. I don't think the rest of the state realizes the hate the Tigers have for the Vols.

We are talking about college teams. Bye, bye, Tiger High!

Due to its location and diverse population, Memphis has a blend of fans from pretty much everywhere. UT, Memphis State, Ole Miss, Arky, Bama, and even Miss State all have a decent contingent of fans here. The rest of West TN is Vol country, or at least my hometown of Paris is. There might be a Vandy fan or two sprinkled in along with your standard handful of bandwagon jumpers, but it's mostly orange country.

Middle tennessee loves their VOLS too!! Born and raised in clarksville, tn. It definately sickens me to see some of the bandwagon bammer fans in the state. Hell being in the military you see them in ohio as well even with osu... Cant wait to see them finally fall and then watch those same fans jump on a different bandwagon.

GO VOLS!!!

My parents grew up in Clarksville. Moved to E TN in the late 60's.
We grew up in Lenoir City. My 2 older brothers and I graduated from UT.

We bleed Arnge!

Yep... we bleed orange here too... Me and my girls make the drive 2 or 3 times a year...

I've got a cool story bro...

Me and my boss were eating in bbq joint (imagine that) just outside of Memphis a couple of years ago. A guy walks in wearing an Alabama pullover. My boss started acting weird like he was pissed at something. We get up to leave and he walks over to the guy and asks him what part of Alabama he was from. The guy tells him, I'm not; I was born and raised in Ripley, TN. My boss fires back and says "Then why in the hell are you wearing that D*** pullover!?!" Guy sets there stunned, my boss walks off, and gets out the door and says; "sorry about that, but my God that felt good.":rock:
Tell your boss he is now my hero.

I know that this was true when I lived in the area back in the mid '90's.

VN Store

Back