Football version of NIT........

Advol

With the final 4 NCS going to 8 in the near future, Bowl games are becoming a version of the NIT in Basketball.

Picking between reruns of Vanderpump Rules or the latest version of a 2 - 6-6 Teams playing in front of packed stadium of 22k is getting tougher.

As much as they try, even the "major" bowls unless they get in the playoff season, will be left with less than enthusiastic teams coming to meaningless bowl game with the players leaving with a new t shirt and ipad.

Coaches say they need the additional practice and it gives the Fanz a reason to feel good. Hey Sooner Fanz, how does your bowl experience feel this AM! :hi:

I tend to agree....it's been ridiculous for some time now and is getting worse....but money is going to drive this train. I'd like to see it return to the days when a bowl game really matters and don't think a 6-6 team deserves or has earned a bowl birth. I'd even go further and say that if you're not in the top 25 or so probably shouldn't be playing after regular season. Where does that leave the Marshall's, UCF's, NIU's and other smaller conference teams with great years? Some would say they deserve a chance to prove themselves....but life isn't fair and everyone doesn't deserve a trophy for every thing they do.

Reactions: 1 person
This really started with the BCS. Even the BCS was watered down when they added the 5th game. Just look at some of the BCS matchups in the past. It was a joke.

Before the BCS and the Bowl Coalition, winning your conference meant something. The winner of the SEC played in the Sugar Bowl and that represented the top of the conference. The winner of the Big 8 played in the Orange Bowl. The Pac 10/ Big 10 winners played in the Rose Bowl. Those games meant something with the conference tie ins. Now, not so much.

This thread is a downer. I enjoy bowl season. Take TN for example, this game really means something to our program, and it gives me an excuse to take trip to Florida this week. 6-6 team v a 7-5 team is still college football and we won't have that in a month. I'll take a mid level bowl any day over some boaring NBA or MLB game any day!

Reactions: 16 people
People that complain about too many bowls make no sense to me. Whether there are 10, 20 or 30 bowls, the vast majority have no impact on the national title and never have. I've never understood what the harm was. I like seeing match ups like Tennessee/Iowa, OU/Clemson etc. and the exposure means a ton to the mid majors and their fans.

They're exhibitions. Stop worrying about who "deserves" what in your mind. They raise money. The bring in tourist dollars. They promote places and causes. They excite fanbases.

Reactions: 18 people
6-6 is not deserving of a bowl game, be it Tennessee or any other team. (Remember only 5 of the wins were against FBS opponents). Move the bar up to 7 or better yet, 8 wins. You can still have your 30 bowls.

Dont be such a debbie downer :cray:

Sure its not the same as going to compete for an NC - but lets face it, as a fan, if your team was good that year but not quite able to get to the final 4/8 - who wouldn't want to watch another game of football that season? :number1:

Its often a great reward/experience for the players and for serious programs, bowl games represent more practices and opportunity to train and recruit for next year.

6-6 is not deserving of a bowl game, be it Tennessee or any other team. (Remember only 5 of the wins were against FBS opponents). Move the bar up to 7 or better yet, 8 wins. You can still have your 30 bowls.

Why?! If there are sponsors willing to put up money, what's the harm?

Reactions: 6 people
Ok, so why require a .500 record? If the sponsors are willing to put up the $, why not have bowls for every FBS team?

Why?! If there are sponsors willing to put up money, what's the harm?

in the grand scheme of things I guess there may not be any harm....but it does water down the concept of accomplishment, at least they way I recall learning what that meant. There can only be one MVP...but when everyone gets a trophy only the guys who played at a higher level but not quite the MVP can attest to how much their trophy means.

That's fine with me as well...if the NCAA is not going to require a winning record for bowl eligibility, then they should just get as many bowls as possible and invite every team.

If you don't like bowl games then don't watch them. I try to catch all I can because I know I'll have to wait till the end of august to catch any football. Its also meant to reward the players for their time and effort. They put in countless hours and this is their time to enjoy it.

Reactions: 5 people
Hey if I were still in college I would be geeked to get a free t shirt and an iPad

I wish I had gotten an ipad in college. We still had dial up with our big white box monitors and 4 foot tall computer towers. Everyone would have been amazed at the technological marvel I held in my hands.

I really don't understand the *****ing and moaning about the bowl games.

So you really don't want to watch UT play against Iowa in Jacksonville? Because I'm absolutely thrilled to get to watch my Vols play and have a beach weekend.

Or you feel like it diminishes the bowl experience? Do you really think Bama fans are complaining that their playoff berth doesn't feel as special because UT and South Carolina get to go to a bowl too?

Or are you just upset that we weren't very good this year? Why don't you ***** about that, instead of a bowl game. There are a lot of teams that don't have the resources that we do, and getting to 6-6 and going to a bowl is the highlight of their season.

I really haven't heard a valid argument for why bowl games are anything but positive.

Reactions: 4 people
I really don't understand the *****ing and moaning about the bowl games.

So you really don't want to watch UT play against Iowa in Jacksonville? Because I'm absolutely thrilled to get to watch my Vols play and have a beach weekend.

Or you feel like it diminishes the bowl experience? Do you really think Bama fans are complaining that their playoff berth doesn't feel as special because UT and South Carolina get to go to a bowl too?

Or are you just upset that we weren't very good this year? Why don't you ***** about that, instead of a bowl game. There are a lot of teams that don't have the resources that we do, and getting to 6-6 and going to a bowl is the highlight of their season.

I really haven't heard a valid argument for why bowl games are anything but positive.

Those that whine about bowl games are couch potatoes that have never gone to a bowl game

I'd watch 2 teams that are 0-12 play against each other in a pig pen. It's football. I love football. I'm not ready to go through several months without football again, so I'm going to enjoy every second of every game that I possibly can. We're not guaranteed tomorrow, and we're definitely not guaranteed another football season. Just take a breath, smile, and enjoy it.

Reactions: 2 people
I really enjoyed the games last night. I don't understand why it matters. The kids work their tail off, let them get some swag and go on a trip- especially if it's to a warm weather state.

I think you all are missing the point. Bowl games are fine. We like them. The discussion is whether or not the eligibility requirements are to soft. I think they are. You can disagree and I am ok with that. I think bowl games are a reward and teams should have at least a winning record to be eligible.

I won't name call, accuse you of being a troll, or just be rude if you don't agree with my opinion. This is a message board for sharing opinions, and it is ok to disagree. It is not ok to be rude.

This thread is a downer. I enjoy bowl season. Take TN for example, this game really means something to our program, and it gives me an excuse to take trip to Florida this week. 6-6 team v a 7-5 team is still college football and we won't have that in a month. I'll take a mid level bowl any day over some boaring NBA or MLB game any day!

Agreed (minus your NBA jab, lol). I don't care how many people are at the game. I will tune in to most bowl games, at least for a little while, because I love college football.

This really started with the BCS. Even the BCS was watered down when they added the 5th game. Just look at some of the BCS matchups in the past. It was a joke.

Before the BCS and the Bowl Coalition, winning your conference meant something. The winner of the SEC played in the Sugar Bowl and that represented the top of the conference. The winner of the Big 8 played in the Orange Bowl. The Pac 10/ Big 10 winners played in the Rose Bowl. Those games meant something with the conference tie ins. Now, not so much.

The problem was though that those contractual ties and/or preferences were often so strong that the top ranked teams never actually played each other.

You would still have your many many bowl games if a winning record was required:

I count 70 FBS schools with winning records. That is 35 bowls. How many do you need?

Wouldn't work.

8 would drop you down into around the low 20s.

Plus OOC scheduling would like begin to suffer again with a lot of the mid to lower level members of power 5 conferences.

VN Store

Back