TN: Increasingly Fertile Recruiting Grounds

turambar85

To celebrate my 1,000th post, I thought that I would bring up some info. that I came across after a conversation with a friend of mine.

I was at Barleys and talking about the improvements in TN's recruiting. It seemed as if we went from a middle of the pack state (and a bottom of the pack SEC state) to having close to a top-tier collection of talent. To verify this I did a bit of looking around.

To begin with, I found this list from Athlon, which ranked states by the number of players that they produced who ranked in the top 200 each year. Recruiting: Ranking the Most Talented States in the Country | AthlonSports.com.

From 2008-2012 Tennessee was tied for 18th in the country with roughly 2.4 top 200 prospects per year. However, even within this period, we improved as time went on. From 2008-2010 we averaged 1.7 per year. From 2011-2012 we averaged 3.3 per year. Taking our 2008-10 average and stretching it over 5 years, it would have been good for 22nd in the country. Taking our 2011-12 average and stretching it over five years puts us just below 16th in the country.

I then went to 247 and looked at the top 200 prospects that our state produced (or is producing) from 2013-2017.

In 2013 we had 4 top 200 players: Ramsey, Herron, Carr, and Elder.

In 2014 we had 5: Malone, Hurd, Kelly Jr., Bars, and Barnett.

In 2015 we have 7: Richmond, Phillips, Jefferson, Jones, McGraw, Jennings, and Jackson Harris.

In 2016 we have 5: Williams, Gooden, Bituli, Vaughn, and Oden.

In 2017 they have only ranked the top 116, and we have 6 (all in the top 90). If we assume that the bottom part of the list is roughly the same as the top, we will have roughly 10 top 200 recruits in 2017. At present, those in the top 200 are: Gray, Chandler, Higgins, Stokes, Stevens, and Smith.

Assuming that we have 10 in 2017, that gives TN 31 in 5 year period (compared to 12 in the previous 5 years). 31 would have, in the Athlon rankings, put us at 8th, 1 below Pennsylvania. Not to mention, only 6 states (from 2008-12) had at least 10 top 200 recruits in any given year, and only 5 did it more than once.

Tennessee is definitely improving when it comes to the quality of players that it produces. We went from a top 18-22 state from 2008-2012, to a top 7-8 state from 2013-2017. And, three of our best years are the last three that I considered. Not only is Tennessee *not* looking to be an outlier when it comes to SEC states, our state is on its way to becoming a national recruiting power.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 people
To celebrate my 1,000th post, I thought that I would bring up some info. that I came across after a conversation with a friend of mine.

I was at Barleys and talking about the improvements in TN's recruiting. It seemed as if we went from a middle of the pack state (and a bottom of the pack SEC state) to having close to a top-tier collection of talent. To verify this I did a bit of looking around.

To begin with, I found this list from Athlon, which ranked states by the number of players that they produced who ranked in the top 200 each year. Recruiting: Ranking the Most Talented States in the Country | AthlonSports.com.

From 2008-2012 UT was tied for 18th in the country with roughly 2.4 top 200 prospects per year. However, even within this period, we improved as time went on. From 2008-2010 we averaged 1.7 per year. From 2011-2012 we averaged 3.3 per year. Taking our 2008-10 average and stretching it over 5 years, it would have been good for 22nd in the country. Taking our 2011-12 average and stretching it over five years puts us just below 16th in the country.

I then went to 247 and looked at the top 200 prospects that our state produced (or is producing) from 2013-2017.

In 2015 we have 7: Richmond, Phillips, Jefferson, Jones, McGraw, Jennings, and Jackson Harris.

In 2017 they have only ranked the top 116, and we have 6 (all in the top 90). If we assume that the bottom part of the list is roughly the same as the top, we will have roughly 10 top 200 recruits in 2017: Gray, Chandler, Higgins, Stokes, Stevens, and Smith.

Assuming that we have 10 in 2017, that gives TN 31 in 5 year period (compared to 12 in the previous 5 years). 31 would have, in the Athlon rankings, put us at 8th, 1 below Pennsylvania. Not to mention, only 6 states (from 2008-12) had at least 10 top 200 recruits in any given year, and only 5 did it more than once.

Tennessee is definitely improving when it comes to the quality of players that it produces. We went from a top 18-22 state from 2008-2012, to a top 7-8 state from 2013-2017. And, three of our best years are the last three that I considered. Not only is Tennessee *not* looking to be an outlier when it comes to SEC states, our state is on its way to becoming a national recruiting power.

In short we should basically get 20% of our class each year from the state of TN!

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

Reactions: 1 person
In short we should basically get 20% of our class each year from the state of TN!

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

Couldn't agree more! Lock down the state, continue pilfering from GA and the Carolinas, and we will be pulling in top recruiting classes every year going forward.

Reactions: 2 people
Great post. I noticed the trend that you're referring to and I can agree, Tennessee is becoming a state that actually produced athletes, and not just football players, basketball players too. I think the resources and facilities are becoming better and better around the state.

Reactions: 2 people
Tbar really nice post, with lot's of informative data. Thanks for the info, I had kind of thought that in my own mind, but I also realized I could have been biased. But if the recruiting agencies are placing the states players as some of the best in the country then it was not just my imagination.

GBO, LOCK DOWN THE STATE. BUTCH GONNA BUTCH!!!!!!

From 2008-2012 UT was tied for 18th in the country with roughly 2.4 top 200 prospects per year. However, even within this period, we improved as time went on. From 2008-2010 we averaged 1.7 per year. From 2011-2012 we averaged 3.3 per year. Taking our 2008-10 average and stretching it over 5 years, it would have been good for 22nd in the country. Taking our 2011-12 average and stretching it over five years puts us just below 16th in the country.

In 2017 they have only ranked the top 116, and we have 6 (all in the top 90). If we assume that the bottom part of the list is roughly the same as the top, we will have roughly 10 top 200 recruits in 2017: Gray, Chandler, Higgins, Stokes, Stevens, and Smith.

Quality information, why is the rest of VN not like this?

NASHVILLE is growing at a rapid pace right now. Once I65 is finished it will only grow faster as rural areas like Springfield and white house begin to boom. Just a lot more kids.

We need to get at lest 75% of thee player every year.

this has been a trend that has been on the uptick for quite some time now. Really two decades. The fact is, half of the talent goes elsewhere. Randall Cobb to Kentucky, Victor Ellis to Alabama, etc, etc. Tennessee has been producing top-flight talent for years, they just dispersed and go to different out of state schools.

Winning will only improve our in-state recruiting and with the numbers you're giving, that could mean really good things. Recruits see early playing time (...b/c they're all going to be in the NFL....right?) and a program on the upswing. If either of those suffer, we'll be lamenting "the one(s) that got away...". Winning and the program's perception are key.

Coaching, strength and conditioning, etc have improved so much since the 80s. I recall like Brentwood academy and mus being the elite, and really none of those could compete against the mississippi, ala, ga hs elite teams. Now, you can't even mention all the great programs without leaving some of them out. Several of those HSs could whip several other highly ranked state teams and have recently. Ensworth, maryville, Alcoa, cak, mba, mus, Ba, fca, cpa, just to name a few can compete with neighboring states.

Reactions: 1 person
Good post. All three regions of the state are producing D1 athletes. Watching my son go through as a middle school player I think there are a couple of things that can advance both the state talent level overall as well as UT's recruiting system:

1. Creating the feeder system model where middle school runs the same system as the high school. Other states like GA and FL have this in place at least in the bigger cities.
2. UT amping up their annual coaches clinic to develop the coaching skills at high school level while continuing to strengthen relationships across the state.

In 2017 they have only ranked the top 116, and we have 6 (all in the top 90). If we assume that the bottom part of the list is roughly the same as the top, we will have roughly 10 top 200 recruits in 2017. At present, those in the top 200 are: Gray, Chandler, Higgins, Stokes, Stevens, and Smith.

I believe TN improving has much to do with the quality of high school coaching being improved significantly. The quality of hs coaches in the state is night & day overall better than it was 20 years ago.

With Tennessee being one of the cheapest states to live, I can see why people are migrating here. The area I reside(Greenback) I can remember before the late 90's to early 00's that it was just straight farmland with small communities. Now, Maryville city, Loudon and Monroe county are overflowing into my area.

With the uptick in population, it only makes sense that the state as a whole is producing more talent. This is a trend that I see continuing.

Go Vols!

Good post. All three regions of the state are producing D1 athletes. Watching my son go through as a middle school player I think there are a couple of things that can advance both the state talent level overall as well as UT's recruiting system:

1. Creating the feeder system model where middle school runs the same system as the high school. Other states like GA and FL have this in place at least in the bigger cities.
2. UT amping up their annual coaches clinic to develop the coaching skills at high school level while continuing to strengthen relationships across the state.

In FL this is more common in the smaller towns. It's how an area like the Glades can produce 4 state championship participants in 1 year from a combined population of less than 30k.

IMO

more people influx
more cornbread consumption

friend in Raleigh sent info the other day that showed where the top 20 NC players in 2013 signed (might have been whatever most recent year tallied) anyway, most stayed in state with some breakdown among those state schools, 2 signed with TN.

so, increase recruitment from some of those contiguous states plus I believe CBJ does a good job with presenting the "state pride" angle of remaining "at home".

State density does have a lot to do with it; NFL records show most of their players come from CA, TX and FL. Big states in lots of ways.

I'm happy that the growth is centered in the middle part of the state. For every Memphis recruit that the Vols landed, it seemed like we missed out on a dozen or so. Circle Knoxville with a 200 mile radius and we have a recruiting base that ranks near the top.

VN Store

Back