I've come to believe there is one way that Iowa can win this game

BrewHawk

Limit Dobbs.

I think it becomes that simple (but not easy to do).

If Iowa can keep him from being effective, the Hawks win the game. It's that simple and I think that much of Dobbs ability.

No offense to Hurd, who is one promising RB in his own right, but Iowa didn't really shut down Melvin Gordon completely and still had a great shot to win vs. Wisconsin.

Obviously, our offense will need to score a few points (17 oughta do it), but if we don't control Dobbs, the game is over and the Vols win.

I really think it's that simple (barring a rash of turnovers or other natural disasters).

UT's OL vs Iowa's front 7. IMO, the game will be decided there. UT doesn't need a dominating performance... they just can't collapse like they did in various games this year.

Reactions: 6 people
Obviously, our offense will need to score a few points (17 oughta do it), but if we don't control Dobbs, the game is over and the Vols win.

I disagree OP. Iowa will need to score more than 17 to win.

Reactions: 6 people
I think it will come down to our recievers against their db's.If the 0-line gives dobbs
time to throw or we can roll him out to throw,we'll win

The whole key to getting to Iowa's defense is spreading them out and making them defend in space and the entire field. We don't have the athletes to match up with your skill players man to man.

Draw plays and deep route plays where Dobbs scrambles after the LBs have dropped can be huge plays for the Vols.

Control Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers or any good QB and you increase your chances to win.

Did you come up with this theory about Dobbs on your own??

Go Vols

Reactions: 3 people
Control Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers or any good QB and you increase your chances to win.

Go Vols

Sorry, we don't rely on our QB to win games for us, so it's a bit foreign to me.

I just don't think we have any chance to win if we don't limit Dobbs. If we can limit him I think there's a great chance to win. He's the key. It's not often you can say a third-string QB is such an important factor.

Sorry, we don't rely on our QB to win games for us, so it's a bit foreign to me.

I just don't think we have any chance to win if we don't limit Dobbs. If we can limit him I think there's a great chance to win. He's the key. It's not often you can say a third-string QB is such an important factor.

:crazy:

There are definitely some ways for Iowa to win the game.

1. Massive case of flew and diarrhea hits the 1st and 2nd stringers 10 mins before the game.

2. Buses carrying the team to the game simultaneously roll over on the way to the game.

3. Armageddon happens and one Iowa player survives to accept the forfeit.

Just a few examples. Feel free to add if compelled.

Last edited:
Limit Dobbs.

I think it becomes that simple (but not easy to do).

If Iowa can keep him from being effective, the Hawks win the game. It's that simple and I think that much of Dobbs ability.

No offense to Hurd, who is one promising RB in his own right, but Iowa didn't really shut down Melvin Gordon completely and still had a great shot to win vs. Wisconsin.

I really think it's that simple (barring a rash of turnovers or other natural disasters).

Fair enough, that you project 17 will do it for you. In the last 4 games of your season, your D held Illinois to only 14, and Minnesota to only 51 -- I project Dobbs (or even Peterman) will lead UT to fall somewhere in between.

Fair enough, that you project 17 will do it for you. In the last 4 games of your season, your D held Illinois to only 14, and Minnesota to only 51 -- I project Dobbs (or even Peterman) will lead UT to fall somewhere in between.

I really don't see us scoring more than 21 (in a straight-up game with no turnover disparity), so I hope we can hold you guys to less than 17.

I definitely don't think we win a shootout if we don't slow you down.

In another thread I have my official prediction with the Vols winning 24-19.

I really don't see us scoring more than 21 (in a straight-up game with no turnover disparity), so I hope we can hold you guys to less than 17.

I definitely don't think we win a shootout if we don't slow you down.

In another thread I have my official prediction with the Vols winning 24-19.

Are you predicting 2 missed extra point attempts?

Go Vols

I'm not sure the OP's intent but I think he is right but to narrow it down a bit more clearly, IMO the key is to limit his scrambling and force him to be accurate.

In other words, force him to be a pocket passer.

The Iowa D under Norm Parker was designed around a simple concept. College QB's are generally not accurate enough to string together enough plays in a row to beat you consistently.

Gap control vs run, nothing over the top of the DB's and and keep everything in front of you. It's a recipe that worked very well for Iowa for many years.

I think that's kind of the formula Iowa will attempt to use against UT. Make Dobbs beat you with his arm....Not his legs. Not with big plays but with longer throws to underneath receivers.

I thought we would truck Candy but that turned into a game so everyone needs to slow their roll. I expect to win but we got no room to be cocky.

I'm not sure the OP's intent but I think he is right but to narrow it down a bit more clearly, IMO the key is to limit his scrambling and force him to be accurate.

In other words, force him to be a pocket passer.

The Iowa D under Norm Parker was designed around a simple concept. College QB's are generally not accurate enough to string together enough plays in a row to beat you consistently.

Gap control vs run, nothing over the top of the DB's and and keep everything in front of you. It's a recipe that worked very well for Iowa for many years.

I think that's kind of the formula Iowa will attempt to use against UT. Make Dobbs beat you with his arm....Not his legs. Not with big plays but with longer throws to underneath receivers.

Problem is that we can't set the edge the way we have in the past, both due to subpar DE play and physically underdeveloped/inexperienced LBs.

I just don't see us containing Dobbs. If we can, we have a great chance to win. Our DL is going to have to be great in this one (and maybe they can if the Vols OL is as bad as they say). They've just been serviceable all year (mostly due to poor DE play).

With Hurd and Lane back healthy, the Iowa defense can't focus solely on Dobbs. Vandy's defense got lucky when Hurd went down early. It allowed them to ignore the running game and focus solely on controlling Dobbs. The offense will be much better balanced against Iowa. A close game with the Vols winning by 10.

I've come to believe it's best to be pretty conservative when it comes to expectations with Tennessee football.....but I do think the Vol's are capable of beating the Hawkeyes.

The biggest problem with Dobbs' throwing is who is remaining that can catch. 3 of our top 5 receivers are on the shelf with injuries and our #2 TE left the team.

If I'm IA's DC I put a spy (probably the MLB) on Dobb's all day.

I agree with the OP. Sadly, our offense late in the year was pretty bad; Dobbs was pretty much our only weapon as there wasn't much running room for Hurd and our passing game, never great, went in the toilet. So, yes, if Iowa controls Dobbs, we probably won't score much and we probably lose. But it's also true that controlling an athletic QB isn't easily done. For 2+ years, almost every time florida faced a third and 3 or less, or maybe even 5 or less, they ran Tebow. Everybody knew Tebow was running and nobody could stop him from getting the first. Dobbs is not exactly like Tebow but the analogy is valid. Given the state of our offensive line, I cannot see us scoring a lot of points unless Iowa's defense is really weak.

VN Store

Back