an offensive line away

joevol33

1st official VN BB bracket winner
VN Pick Champion
We are gonna be so stacked on defense and skill post ions, all we need is a decent offensive line. That's all its gonna take to be playing in championship games. I'm just excited about our direction, its been a long time coming!

Reactions: 6 people
Doesn't even need to be a great OL. Just a decent one and we should be back in the double digit win category on a yearly basis if CBJ keeps up this recruiting.

And just wait till he does win, we will have 5* talent fighting over us..

I think CFB fans around the country are extremely tired of Bama, they are hungry for someone, anyone to take over.. FSU would have a lot more support around the country if Winston and their discipline practices were not such a joke.

So it is ripe for the taking, if we can win 9-10 games next year and show the country the vols are truly back. Recruits will not be able to say no to CBJ and staff :)

Reactions: 11 people
8+ wins would be huge for this program next year. Dobbs will need to stay healthy and yeah, the OL needs to be serviceable

yep! back to the good ole days, when UT recruters showed up and put the other guys on the bus home!

I agree that they wouldn't have to be great. Our defense will be great enough to keep us in every game. I know they were good this year, but our defense is on the verge of being awesome.

CBJ is building this team according to the old maxim "Defense wins Games, Offense fills Seats". The biggest challange next year will be replacing AJ. We have talent coming in, but we lost a lot of experience when we lost AJ.

Reactions: 1 person
Agree about the OL but I'm still not 100% convinced that Dobbs is the guy to get us to that next level. I love the kid but he's got to be able to throw down field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Agree about the OL but I'm still not 100% convinced that Dobbs is the guy to get us to that next level. I love the kid but he's got to be able to throw down field.

The downfield throw also depends on the Oline. Mr Manning couldn't throw behind the line this year. I hope Dobbs gets more protection then we can judge.

Reactions: 3 people
Agree with the OP. Only problem is the importance of the OL.
It's like saying our car is set up for speed..... except for the engine.

The 2010 offensive line was nearly as bad as this year's and they improved dramatically by 2011.

Not saying we have a James, Fulton, or Stone on this Oline, but I expect a jump from nearly dead last in sacks given up to somewhere around 60th-70th nationally. No miracles, but it would be good enough to not be a huge liability.

Reactions: 2 people
The 2010 offensive line was nearly as bad as this year's and they improved dramatically by 2011.

Not saying we have a James, Fulton, or Stone on this Oline, but I expect a jump from nearly dead last in sacks given up to somewhere around 60th-70th nationally. No miracles, but it would be good enough to not be a huge liability.

The 2010 OL was Wayyyyyy more athletic and they didn't have guys playing out of position. If we start the same front 5 in the first game next year as we did this year (minus Gilliam of course) then we are in trouble!

Reactions: 2 people
Nevermind god ******

LOL, I started to qoute your original post.
It's ok. in the modern sec, 8 is like 10 from a decade ago.
Not where we need to be but a temporary reality.
( and dam* well better be just a stepping stone)

I think the line will be a surprise next year ,they all heard it all about being the weak link
and will work their butts off in the off season.Dobbs will be the man to take us there but
your right about throwing the ball down field got to get the ball to our play makers

I don't think anyone really is, too many tangibles this year! But I will wait until we have a decent o-line and that he has at least 3 seconds before he has to chuck it or run for his life!

I'm afraid your right. A bad line will make these RB's look like 1 star recruits.

Maybe someone can enlighten me ( That's right, not everyone on here knows everything ) but, most of us with any sense know the reasons for the issues with the offense. You know, terrible line dealt, injuries, etc.! We are getting highly touted RB's to commit as we speak! If I am a running back I wouldn't want to run behind the line we have! Now, i know we will be better, and maybe a RB recruit believes we will be much better at o-line, but it surprises me that we can recruit good RB's even though the o-line struggled so much and was obviously the reason for lack of production!

Don't get me wrong, I am ecstatic over our recruiting!

Where is everyone that said "last year's line sucked" and "this one will be better?"

Maybe someone can enlighten me ( That's right, not everyone on here knows everything ) but, most of us with any sense know the reasons for the issues with the offense. You know, terrible line dealt, injuries, etc.! We are getting highly touted RB's to commit as we speak! If I am a running back I wouldn't want to run behind the line we have! Now, i know we will be better, and maybe a RB recruit believes we will be much better at o-line, but it surprises me that we can recruit good RB's even though the o-line struggled so much and was obviously the reason for lack of production!

Don't get me wrong, I am ecstatic over our recruiting!

You may get some grief for this but it makes perfect sense. One would think that they would want a line that increases their stats yet, they keep signing.
Nobody doubts the staffs recruiting ability but this is noteworthy.

The "war in the trenches" is what usually separates average teams and championship caliber teams. Yes....the o line/d line are that important. (Especially in the SEC!)

You may get some grief for this but it makes perfect sense. One would think that they would want a line that increases their stats yet, they keep signing.

I think they realize it won't be like that for four years. I imagine in two years we will forget all our line problems. These kids can see that CBJ is on a quest for a NC. They believe in it and want to be a part of it. It's a mission, full steam ahead, and all aboard!

Reactions: 5 people

I really don't know.....i just don't know how a RB recruit thinks!

VN Store

Back