Jesse Palmer predicts that UT will contend for SEC East title in 2015

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
In one of the rare, substantive pieces published by the Tennessean on Tennessee football, Matt Slovin interviewed ESPN's Jesse Palmer extensively (see ESPN's Jesse Palmer: 2015 'perfect storm' for Vols). In assessing Tennessee's prospects for 2015, Palmer states that "I really think Tennessee could be that team in the SEC, especially in the SEC East, that really takes the biggest steps next season. . . . When you look around that division, Florida has a new coaching staff, Georgia's going to have a new quarterback, South Carolina's going to have a new quarterback. . . . [Tennessee has found] a guy in Joshua Dobbs that really gives them an opportunity. The offense looked completely different when he took over late this season. If he's able to stay healthy next year — with the receiving corps they have, everybody on the offensive line coming back, a young talent in Jalen Hurd, I think they'll continue to play phenomenal defense — I think next year could really be a special year."

In remarks pertaining to our receiver corps, Palmer states that "if this is a team that's able to stay healthy next year, this has a chance to be one of the best receiving groups not only in the SEC, but in the country.

Palmer is very, very high on Derek Barnett, whom he refers to as the Boy Wonder and whom he characterizes as working, at this point, off of pure talent. "From a fundamental standpoint — hand placement, footwork, not even the physical stuff, just mechanics I think [he] can get a lot better. When that happens with the leverage he plays with and the strength he has and the natural quickness, the speed he has — he's one of these guys that could potentially become an unblockable guy. He's already 6-foot-3, 270. When he gets stronger and learns to become fundamentally better, this guy's going to be an absolute terror."

In critiquing Neyland Stadium vis-à-vis other SEC venues, Palmer described Neyland as "my favorite [opposing] stadium to play in in the SEC. It reminded me of The Coliseum in Rome. It's very vertical. Everybody just felt like they were on top of you. . . . That to me was kind of the definition of going into a lion's den. . . . We played there in 1998 and lost in overtime when Tennessee went on to win the national championship. That was an environment that I will never forget. We went back two years later and won on a touchdown pass with about seven seconds to go.

We always had tremendous games there, dog fights. It wasn't just the football team and the defense we were playing that made it difficult. It was the environment and the fans are just tremendous. It's one of the great SEC environments."

Reactions: 46 people
In one of the rare, substantive pieces published by the Tennessean on Tennessee football, Matt Slovin interviewed ESPN's Jesse Palmer extensively (see ESPN's Jesse Palmer: 2015 'perfect storm' for Vols). In assessing Tennessee's prospects for 2015, Palmer states that "I really think Tennessee could be that team in the SEC, especially in the SEC East, that really takes the biggest steps next season. . . . When you look around that division, Florida has a new coaching staff, Georgia's going to have a new quarterback, South Carolina's going to have a new quarterback. . . . [Tennessee has found] a guy in Joshua Dobbs that really gives them an opportunity. The offense looked completely different when he took over late this season. If he's able to stay healthy next year — with the receiving corps they have, everybody on the offensive line coming back, a young talent in Jalen Hurd, I think they'll continue to play phenomenal defense — I think next year could really be a special year."

In remarks pertaining to our receiver corps, Palmer states that "if this is a team that's able to stay healthy next year, this has a chance to be one of the best receiving groups not only in the SEC, but in the country.

Palmer is very, very high on Derek Barnett, whom he refers to as the Boy Wonder and whom he characterizes as working, at this point, off of pure talent. "From a fundamental standpoint — hand placement, footwork, not even the physical stuff, just mechanics I think [he] can get a lot better. When that happens with the leverage he plays with and the strength he has and the natural quickness, the speed he has — he's one of these guys that could potentially become an unblockable guy. He's already 6-foot-3, 270. When he gets stronger and learns to become fundamentally better, this guy's going to be an absolute terror."

In critiquing Neyland Stadium vis-à-vis other SEC venues, Palmer described Neyland as "my favorite [opposing] stadium to play in in the SEC. It reminded me of The Coliseum in Rome. It's very vertical. Everybody just felt like they were on top of you. . . . That to me was kind of the definition of going into a lion's den. . . . We played there in 1998 and lost in overtime when Tennessee went on to win the national championship. That was an environment that I will never forget. We went back two years later and won on a touchdown pass with about seven seconds to go.

We always had tremendous games there, dog fights. It wasn't just the football team and the defense we were playing that made it difficult. It was the environment and the fans are just tremendous. It's one of the great SEC environments."

This guy is quickly becoming one of my favorites on ESPN. Never thought I could like a Gator, but the guy knows football and he is objective in his assessments. :hi:

Reactions: 15 people
Jesse seems like a good guy and is one of the best college football analyst, saying that I can't stand listening to him call a game.

This guy is quickly becoming one of my favorites on ESPN. Never thought I could like a Gator, but the guy knows football and he is objective in his assessments. :hi:

He along with McElroy are both excellent with analysis and unbiased opinions! Fwiw, McElroy thinks we will compete for SEC title next year as well.

Reactions: 3 people
We may contend but with Florida getting a new coach, they will likely make a 4 game improvement.
I see us losing to Alabama & Florida. ( We can never beat Florida even when they have a horrible coach & a horrible team) Then the Missouri & Arkansas games will be toss ups. I predict we win one and lose to the other.
So, in the S.E.C., we lose 3 games and win 5 games. We beat Ky., Vandy, UGA, USC & either Missouri or Arkansas.
That is not good enough to win the East or even to really challenge for an East title.

Should Dobbs get injured, it will be worse than a 5 - 3 S.E.C. record.

Reactions: 1 person
Clearly no one heard him during the Florida game. Tennessee could do nothing right in his eyes, even when we were up. Then florida would get a first down. And he made comments like they had just won the entire thing. I don't care for Jesse Palmer or anything he has to say

Georgia having a new QB is not that big of a deal. Doesn't take a lot to turn around and hand it to the next heisman quality RB.

Reactions: 4 people
Clearly no one heard him during the Florida game. Tennessee could do nothing right in his eyes, even when we were up. Then florida would get a first down. And he made comments like they had just won the entire thing. I don't care for Jesse Palmer or anything he has to say

to be fair, Tennessee could do nothing right in that game, period. We looked dreadful.

Reactions: 13 people
He along with McElroy are both excellent with analysis and unbiased opinions! Fwiw, McElroy thinks we will compete for SEC title next year as well.

McElroy surprised me. I expected him to be a Bama homer and rip on UT, but he does a really good job.

Clearly no one heard him during the Florida game. Tennessee could do nothing right in his eyes, even when we were up. Then florida would get a first down. And he made comments like they had just won the entire thing.

Did you watch that game? We were clearly the better team, but we screwed up in just about every way possible. False starts on short distance plays. Dropped passes, mainly the one by Malone. Settling for field goals. And the Worley turnovers. We were up, but we should have been killing them. He knew that and his comments reflected it

Reactions: 7 people
Palmer called the FL UT game this year, and he did a great job. It'd be hard not to be biased towards a team you played for, but he did a great job of being objective. I'm a big fan of his. I think he calls games objectively and accurately.

Reactions: 5 people
to be fair, Tennessee could do nothing right in that game, period. We looked dreadful.

In terms of offensive execution, I agree completely, but let's give the defense due credit for holding the Lizards to 10 points, something that we have done only once (2003) since 1990. Granted, Florida's offense was abysmal by their standards but our defense played very, very well that day.

McElroy surprised me. I expected him to be a Bama homer and rip on UT, but he does a really good job.

Agree. The first time I saw him he already looked comfortable and confident on air. Usually it takes those guys a while if they're going to be good like Collingsworth or Aikman, but he looks like he's already there.

IMO, all of the pieces are there. We will get to see how much horsepower the coaches have. The inhibitors cited in the first two years are mostly gone.

No way we win the East with UGA. Second place is best case but first we would need to knock off FL who owns us and/or Missouri which we can't seem to do.

Last edited:
No way we win the East with UGA. Second place is best case but first we would need to knock off FL who owns us and Missouri which we can't seem to do.

The UGA hosting a new QB and us with a spiffy looking team next year? The same UGA we have lost by 3 points to for the last two years, without our new running qb playing? I'm not saying we slay them, I'm saying, we play georgia extremely well, and their time is coming

With some breaks, UT can win the east. USC, Ga and Missouri will be down after losing a ton of talent. Fla has a new coach and no talent on offense. UK will suck again.

With some breaks, UT can win the east. USC, Ga and Missouri will be down after losing a ton of talent. Fla has a new coach and no talent on offense. UK will suck again.

All true. The schedule is also a tad lighter than before. While Arkansas will be better than they have been, they probably won't be as good as Ole Miss was this past year. Bama isn't as scary as they used to be either.

The door is wide, wide open if the Vols can step through it. There is a vacuum at the top of the SEC East and someone will fill it. UT can. UF can. Someone will.

Beat Florida and the East will be yours.

Still UGAs to lose with Chubb and Michel. I don't care if they're breaking in a new QB, QBs aren't the playmakers in that offense. That said, Richt sure is consistent in losing games he shouldn't.

VN Store

Back