Vol football earns highest term gpa ever

Volstylexx

TN football posted a collective team gpa of 2.75 this semester- the highest ever in the history of the program.

While wins and losses are what any coach are ultimately judged on, it's great to see Butch succeeding in all the small, often overlooked facets. It's the small things that will result in the successful rebuilding of this program.

Reactions: 36 people
It really is to Dooley's credit!

I know you're being sarcastic, but people don't realize how close this team was to getting hit with penalties from the NCAA for the gpa not meeting requirements under Dooley. I'm sure other programs used that against us in recruiting.

So let's hear it from all the Vandy folks saying their football players have such a tough academics program.

Last edited:
This really is a great reason to be proud of our team. Way to go 118!

Reactions: 1 person
I know you're being sarcastic, but people don't realize how close this team was to getting hit with penalties from the NCAA for the gpa not meeting requirements under Dooley. I'm sure other programs used that against us in recruiting.

It wasn't the team's GPA per se that was the problem; it was the APR score, which was largely due to the attrition which the program suffered as a result of the Fulmer-Kiffin-Dooley transition. Having said that, your point is still germane. Butch is definitely making academic success a major point of emphasis and it should be.

Really impressive considering how young this team was and the demands they faced on and off the field. Most freshmen only have to adjust to the social and academic environment of college instead of being counted on to win football games week in and out versus the toughest schedule in college football.

For what I see, CBJ & Staff excel in every aspect of detail and organization. The words "academic" and "achievement" have not been able to be used in the same sentence relative to the football team very often until CBJ arrived. One has to be impressed with 46 players earning at GPA of 3.0 or higher this semester. For many of these young men, this statistic will be the most important one for their future and will reap lifetime benefits. Way to go Team 118!!

TN football posted a collective team gpa of 2.75 this semester- the highest ever in the history of the program.

While wins and losses are what any coach are ultimately judged on, it's great to see Butch succeeding in all the small, often overlooked facets. It's the small things that will result in the successful rebuilding of this program.

I don't think it is "small" at all. While it is praiseworthy in and of itself... it will also help offset the impact to UT's academic standing by the players who left the program. Is it the "API"? Anyway, my understanding is that players who leave before they graduate count against that score while a strong GPA helps.

Can someone who knows more flesh that out?

Either way... very, very good job.

I don't think it is "small" at all. While it is praiseworthy in and of itself... it will also help offset the impact to UT's academic standing by the players who left the program. Is it the "API"? Anyway, my understanding is that players who leave before they graduate count against that score while a strong GPA helps.

Can someone who knows more flesh that out?

Either way... very, very good job.

APR:

"Teams that fail to achieve an APR score of 925 - equivalent to a 50% graduation rate - may be penalized. A perfect score is 1000. The scores are calculated as follows:

Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one retention point for staying in school and one eligibility point for being academically eligible. A team’s total points are divided by the points possible and then multiplied by one thousand to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate score."

"The NCAA does adjust APR, on a student-by-student basis, in two circumstances. One exception that can be made, is for student-athletes who leave prior to graduation, while in good academic standing, to pursue a professional career. Another is for student-athletes who transfer to another school while meeting minimum academic requirements and student-athletes who return to graduate at a later date."

Hope this curriculum is not full of underwater basket weaving like the North Carolina BB team was taking for 14 yrs.. But I'm sure since Roy is so popular, nothing will happen to the Tarheels. Anyway.. Kudos to the football team and staff.

VN Store

Back