Thursday practice notes 12/18

Fingers

Patrick Brown
From #Vols practice: Freshman D-tackle Michael Sawyers was practicing today, and the team appears to be taking it easy with Curt Maggitt.

Josh Dobbs said a few linemen ran scared out of a haunted house during team's trip to Gatlinburg yestetday. Declined to name names, though.

The Vols still did not have Jaylen Miller along the defensive front, but in a surprise return to the practice field, Michael Sawyers made his first appearance of the bowl season. Sources had previously indicated that Sawyers was not expected to return next semester, and Sawyers' future with the team remains unclear at this time.

All running backs remained in green, non-contact jerseys. The Vols also worked some intense goal-line, two-point plays. The defense held on the first play, but Nathan Peterman rolled out and threw to Alex Ellis for the conversion. Von Pearson might have scored in a full-live situation on the next snap, but he was ruled down at the 1 by contact as the Vols worked in shorts and uppers.

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1716961

COLEMAN: these practices have been like camp. But they have been physical.

COLEMAN: Iowa is very physical. They have their own way playing. They are old school, play downhill a lot.

DOBBS: Iowa is a physical team and a disciplined team. It shows in their record.

DOBBS: With the young guys getting more reps it really helps us towards our bowl of winning a bowl game.

DOBBS: going to Gatlinburg was fun. It was good to see the Ripley's attractions. It was to hang out with the guys.

DOBBS: I am just trying to improve. My goal is to be a bowl champion and that's what I am focused on.

DOBBS: @vwharton4 and @RyanJenkinsTV have stepped up. All of the receivers have been playing well knowing they have more responsibility.

DOBBS: I am able to stay after practice and watch more film. We are able to put extra work in the weight room after practice.

JONES: Welcome Alvin Kamara to our football family.

JONES: We had 55 Vol Scholars with a 3.0 or better and a 2.75 GPA, which is a program record.

JONES: There's a lot of hard work that goes into that. It starts with our student athletes.

JONES: We'll take tomorrow as a recovery day and resume practice on Saturday.

JONES: I'd like to thank Jim Ogle and everyone in Gatlinburg for making last night a memorable experience for our team.

JONES: Our Thornton Center has done a great job since day one. You just have to look at the results.

JONES: @vwharton4 continues to get better and better.

JONES: I think Jalen (Hurd) and Kamara will compliment each other very well. As we know, you need two quality backs in this league.

JONES: There has been great spirit, great energy in preparing for the bowl game.

JONES: We have some messages from our players in the NFL. Peyton Manning set the tone this morning with his message.

JONES: Practice has been very physical because it's going to be a very physical football game.

JONES: We take great pride and spend an inordinate amount of time on personal development. We take that very seriously.

JONES: Justus Pickett was a walk-on and some academic things have occurred and when you're paying for school, you have to make decisions

JONES: He (Pickett) is no longer a part of our football team.

JONES: (Michael) Sawyers has been back out there and has moved around a little bit. It's been good to have him back.

Matt Slovin: Butch Jones on Hurd underage drinking charge: "We've handled that internally. ... We have good character kids in this program."

The Vols rarely do 11-on-11 work during the periods of practice open to the media, but Thursday’s practice was one of those rare occasions. The most interesting lineup development was the insertion of freshman Vic Wharton into the starting spot that had been occupied by sophomore Jason Croom, who will miss the bowl game with an injured left knee. Wharton caught four passes this season for 15 yards in eight appearances.

Redshirt junior Curt Maggitt dressed out for practice in helmet, shoulder pads and shorts like the rest of the Vols, but did not participate in the 11-on-11 drills and mostly worked with a trainer during individual drills with the defensive line.

Junior wide receiver Von Pearson dropped a touchdown pass from quarterback Joshua Dobbs on the first play, but tight end Alex Ellis caught a touchdown pass from Nathan Peterman on the second. Pearson took a jet sweep handoff for a touchdown on the third play to win the drill for the offense.

Freshman tailback Jalen Hurd, whose Dec. 3 arrest on underage drinking charges was first reported on Wednesday, was present at practice and has not been held out of any practice open to the media since the incident. He and fellow tailbacks Marlin Lane and Devrin Young continue to wear green no-contact jerseys because of various ailments and low depth at the position.

Vols practice report: Vic Wharton runs with first team in Croom

WILLIAMS: Having a winning season would be a great accomplishment for the program. http://t.co/ZtdK5FKeO2

Jordan Williams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAY_AjAWMsw
Joshua Dobbs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2oGtY5b0ls

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_eV6PbJfaM[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
Tired of hearing that he got arrested. He didn't get put in handcuffs and hauled off. He got a citation much like the ones tons of underage students get at UT every year.

Reactions: 9 people
Tired of hearing that he got arrested. He didn't get put in handcuffs and hauled off. He got a citation much like the ones tons of underage students get at UT every year.

Are you sure he was only cited? I know when I got caught for underage drinking I got to spend a few hours at the jail until my parents came to bail me out.

Are you sure he was only cited? I know when I got caught for underage drinking I got to spend a few hours at the jail until my parents came to bail me out.

One of my friends did get arrested and cited(his parents live in Canada. Awkward). One didn't get arrested, but got cited.

Case by case, I suppose. Maybe they were in a bad mood.

Whether you're cited or put in jail you are arrested. One releases you with a citation (promise to appear at a later date or pay fine) and the other is a custodial arrest. Either way you're arrested.

Reactions: 4 people
Thanks for the photo CBJ!!! Remember, Rocky Top was written at the Gatlinburg Inn!!!! Hahahaha

Attachments

• IMG_20141217_200032532.jpg
    IMG_20141217_200032532.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: 2 people
Was Hurd arrested or cited for underage drinking?

Cited. No DUI, no resisting arrest (no arrest was attempted) no bad attitude. The "arrested by citation" nonsense was an attempt to make a big deal of this.

Misdemeanor underage consumption citation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Okay for those that do not understand. A citation is the same as an arrest only it is ror meaning as long as you show for court date you are not taken to jail right then. Citations can be issued for any misdemeanor crime even simple assault. So yes essentially he was arrested but was not "jailed"

Reactions: 1 person
Josh Dobbs said a few linemen ran scared out of a haunted house during team's trip to Gatlinburg yestetday. Declined to name names, though.

I absolutely love it. Big ole lineman showing they're kids/kids at heart like anyone else. But what I love most is Dobbs felt free to mention it and without naming names tease them a bit over it. Speaks volumes about the relationships/brotherhood this team has.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back