The Phillip fulmer enigma

boxerpupsrcool

I'd like to point out how much coach butch reminds me of a young Phil fulmer in his prime. It's uncanny. that is all!!

Reactions: 6 people
I'd like to point out how much coach butch reminds me of a young Phil fulmer in his prime. It's uncanny. that is all!!

Then our job is to KEEP him motivated.

ONE of us stopped doing our job.

..............and I hate that......

Reactions: 2 people
I actually said that in a post earlier. It's a difficult thing to explain. If you were all VOL in the early 80s with Johnny, you'll know what your seeing with Butch. Fulmer was the up and comer. You could tell he was the energetic, win at all cost, do what's best for the program, and eat and sleep Vol football type of guy. He wanted the job and latched onto it with a vengeance. CPF was not the best X's and O's guy, but he surrounded himself with quality assistants and if they weren't they were replaced. I see the same thing in Butch. Time will tell if I'm right. i guess that's why I always get defensive when someone attacks him. I just think he needs time to do the right thing and make the right moves. Not that anyone on here controls his fate, I just want them to see what I see. Some will say his assistants are questionable, etc, but they will be gone IMO if they don't get the job done after next year. Butch is building a juggernaut. It's coming, you just need to be patient. If I'm wrong on this, I'll never defend another football coach on this site.

Reactions: 13 people
I actually said that in a post earlier. It's a difficult thing to explain. If you were all VOL in the early 80s with Johnny, you'll know what your seeing with Butch. Fulmer was the up and comer. You could tell he was the energetic, win at all cost, do what's best for the program, and eat and sleep Vol football type of guy. He wanted the job and latched onto it with a vengeance. CPF was not the best X's and O's guy, but he surrounded himself with quality assistants and if they weren't they were replaced. I see the same thing in Butch. Time will tell if I'm right. i guess that's why I always get defensive when someone attacks him. I just think he needs time to do the right thing and make the right moves. Not that anyone on here controls his fate, I just want them to see what I see. Some will say his assistants are questionable, etc, but they will be gone IMO if they don't get the job done after next year. Butch is building a juggernaut. It's coming, you just need to be patient. If I'm wrong on this, I'll never defend another football coach on this site.

That's not exactly accurate. Fulmer was not that energetic, had the same assistants for years at a time and when he did have to replace the one that left with the one he was later forced to fire he started to lose a lot. Phil was an average coach and a highly skilled recruiter who was lucky to have Coach Cut around. Good guy though. Your description sounds more like Majors. Butch is his own animal and reminds me of Butch

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

I respect that....... my problem is that I defend ALL of them initially.
I sang "when Johnny somes marching home again....." & I was ALL in.

I even defended COACH k. He was a PRICK, but he was OUR prick.( I did get tired of defending him in only one year)

p.s. I didn't burn any bedding material (because of him)

I admit that I will probably defend all of them (at least) initially.

That's not exactly accurate. Fulmer was not that energetic, had the same assistants for years at a time and when he did have to replace the one that left with the one he was later forced to fire he started to lose a lot. Phil was an average coach and a highly skilled recruiter who was lucky to have Coach Cut around. Good guy though. Your description sounds more like Majors. Butch is his own animal and reminds me of Butch

Phillip moved Chavis to DC in 1995. I actually thought Cutcliffe was the OC in his second year, my bad.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch has a widow's peak, just like General Neyland...

But so did Eddie Munster (Butch Patrick).
Not sure what to make of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

That's not exactly accurate either. Fulmer was incredibly football smart.

Reactions: 5 people
Yep, I believe Fulmer was a great football mind for his time. However the game dramatically changed over the course of the 90's and early 00's and sadly he just couldn't quite adjust. I hate it, because in the end, the guy is a class act all the way around. He was just too stubborn to change and adapt. I always wonder how different it would have been in 07 had Fulmer and the Tennessee AD promised Cut a raise and the Coach in Waiting title... maybe not much since I fully believe Cut does not want a high pressure job, but who knows? (unless it really happened and he turned it down)

Reactions: 1 person

152-52 and NC is not average.

Reactions: 11 people
Who hires the coordinators?

Who is ultimately in charge of recruiting?

Most of his coordinators were already there after the coup. The ones he hired well not so great.

I gave him credit as an exceptional recruiter during his prime

Last edited:
What was his record without Cutcliffe?

I believe that Fulmer lived and breathed UT football. He loved and still loves UT. I think he knew how to line up and run the ball down someone's throat. I also believe that he was smart enough to hire Cutcliffe and Chavis. Without Cutcliffe UT couldn't compete as highly as usual because Cutcliffe was an offensive genius. I believe Fulmer was a great recruiter but I also believe Fulmer got lazy the last few years. I've been watching UT football for a long time and Fulmer will always have my admiration and thanks for what he did. But I also know it was time for him to go. He did great for a while but I never saw the fire in him even in the great years like I see in Butch Jones. Having said that, I truly believe Butch will take us further than we have ever been. One side note, just like Bear Bryant, Joe Paterno, Bobby Bowden, etc. during Fulmer's time, football was easier to win than it is today because it is more competitive with any team capable of beating any team. Now finally, this thread is useless, Fulmer is gone, Jones is here. Let's move on! GBO

Reactions: 5 people
Expect Butch didn't stab his head coach in the back to get the job.

That is All

That is what most believe but do you know for sure or is this another rumor that the masses have always believed? Not saying it is true or not but really unless a person knows for sure, it is nothing more than a rumor.

VN Store

Back