Hendrix opens up about transfer

He tweeted something out along the lines of don't believe everything you read. Idk what he is getting at but this will hurt some recruiting. I think he didn't like the town either. Either way if they don't like it here then exit stage right. Wish you could've stayed but he's a young man and will choose what's best for him.

SIAP.
Says he wasn't happy and things got bad with the coaches. Hope his comments don't effect our recruiting with and parents.

Hendrix 'just wasn't happy' at Tennessee

If Josh Dobbs, AJ, Jacob Carter, Vic Wharton, and Pig Howard can all get along with this staff (WIDE range of personalities there), the staff/school ain't the issue.

I wish him well. Next man up.

Reactions: 51 people
He tweeted something out along the lines of don't believe everything you read. Idk what he is getting at but this will hurt some recruiting. I think he didn't like the town either. Either way if they don't like it here then exit stage right. Wish you could've stayed but he's a young man and will choose what's best for him.

I don't think it hurts recruiting. For every one guys that's not happy in Knoxville and with the coaches, there about 80 more that are 100% sold on CBJ, and are playing their guts out for the guy.

Reactions: 26 people
I don't hold anything against the kid. Butch and Co are very vocal and intense. Some players just don't respond well to intense coaching. Got to have thick skin if you want to play for Butch.

Butch is the HC at UT. He doesn't run a Daisy Farm.

Reactions: 33 people
I don't hold anything against the kid. Butch and Co are very vocal and intense. Some players just don't respond well to intense coaching. Got to have thick skin if you want to play for Butch.

But if he did, those daisies would get screamed at over a microphone on a daily basis, and that's ok.

Reactions: 10 people

You got that right! The one's who don't need to be here will transfer!

Reactions: 2 people
He's what, 18 or 19 years old? Have you ever known a teenager to be be "happy" unless everything was going exactly the way they want it to. Give the kid a tampon and send him on his way.

Reactions: 24 people
Some freshmen such as Hendrix come to big boy D1 football expecting the notoriety and stardom they experienced in high school and when the coaches hold them to the higher standards of playing SEC football, they don't take the tough coaching so well. Some embrace it, some crumble. Sounds like a lack of heart to me. 80+ other players are fighting with all they have for Butch. Butch is the man, Hendrix is hardly irreplaceable anyway .

No it won't. One kid saying he didn't like it won't hurt. Doesn't hurt bama, ga, or any other school that has tranfers. He stated the main reason transfers leave.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't believe a word of that from Hendrix. He thought he could just walk in and be a star. What he found was that everything in the SEC is earned. What? I need to work hard? I need to focus? It's easier to walk away, quit, than bust your butt and compete. And also blame everyone else. No way it's his fault. Winning is an attitude. Sadly, I've seen this so many times with athletes I've coached. It is so frustrating. I'm afraid that Sawyers may have the same problem. Hope not.

I have noticed these days that the younger generation seems to be a little soft. Being in the military and going through basic training you get yelled at and broken down on the daily. I hope he does well where he goes but you gotta be kidding me if your leaving because you didnt like to be yelled at....

Reactions: 3 people
Funny that Barnett has nothing but praise for our staff while Hendrix didn't appreciate the way the coaches spoke to him.

Won't effect recruiting a bit. No way he was happy with his PT. If he truely was happy about playing 7 games and having two tackles he doesn't belong here. It's called tough love and you can't baby them.

So the article sourced by 247 now omits the following quote:

Just my relationship with the coaches and how they talk to people. It just kept getting worse as the season went on.

Some freshmen such as Hendrix come to big boy D1 football expecting the notoriety and stardom they experienced in high school and when the coaches hold them to the higher standards of playing SEC football, they don't take the tough coaching so well. Some embrace it, some crumble. Sounds like a lack of heart to me. 80+ other players are fighting with all they have for Butch. Butch is the man, Hendrix is hardly irreplaceable anyway .

Exactly. And if he doesn't want intensity and having to work his a$$ off daily, getting your a$$ chewed when you do horrible but shown love when you do it right then the SEC isn't for him. He may be better suited in a lesser conference and at a school where football isn't on our minds 24/7 365.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought Hendrix would be a little thicker skinned. I am sure that the coaches are hard on these guys. But so are the coaches at every other D-1 program. If they don't get in your grill, they consider you a practice player who only sees playing time when the game is all but decided. Hopefully, he lands somewhere that makes him happier.

VN Store

Back