Offensive Progress in 2014

Ericvol2096

Quiz'N'Vol
I love to lay out clearly defined progress and not get caught up in how something looks or what it seems like is happening. I like seeing numbers on paper and seeing if the numbers say it got better or worse.

The team had clear lines of progress this year.

-one more win
-a bowl appearance
-1 more SEC win
-2 Road SEC wins
Ect.

But many on here talk about how bad the offense was. How poor the OC is and that this side of the staff should be "in trouble".

Well the facts lay out in a very different way. We accomplished better numbers this year having to face the following adversities.

-Started 7 different Freshman
-44 total freshman starts JUST on O
-Replacing all 5 OL
-Many significant injuries to the WR unit
-Losing our starting QB and having to play with our 3rd string QB the last third of the season.

2014 Offensive Improvement Numbers**

-66 More Points in 2014
-100 More Plays
-76 More First Downs
-9 More Passing TD's
-4 Less INT's
-Redzone Efficiency up 15%

**These numbers from CMB press conference today**

Think about how much those numbers are going to go up next year with the following notes about what is coming back for this offense.

-Return our entire WR core
-Return our starting QB for the first time in years
-Return our entire OL 3 deep but 1 walk on with one ACL (Thank you Jacob Gilliam)
-Return one of the top freshman RB's in the country
-Another year to develop the OL after they've had a year of playing together adding talented freshman and getting Blair ready
-Add uber talented JUCO Kamara at RB and Williams at WR

I think a lot of people are down on the O for no reason, when you look at the circumstances and the results I think the offensive staff did a HELL of a coaching job in 2014.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 29 people
What about 3rd down eff? What about opposing teams def ranking vs last yr?

My biggest issue

1. We r very predictable on what we r going to run from a formation.

2. We run the same plays on the same down way to much.

3. Week to week off plan n plays never change regardless of the opp teams weakness..

4. In game n halftime off adj were suspect most of the yr.

Good to see progress but need to see against def level of competition to really make a statement.

Reactions: 1 person
Nice Post OP! :hi:

-66 More Points in 2014
-100 More Plays
-76 More First Downs
-9 More Passing TD's

-4 Less INT's

Bold numbers are nice to see and nobody beat the crap out of us, like several teams did last year!
Look for much continued improvement next year!

And our D may be Unscored Upon like the 1939 team next year!!
JK Don't Tazer me.

Last edited:
The thing is, if you thought 2013 was a good year, then you should probably feel positive about 2014. To me, going from the 106th total offense to the 100th total offense is nothing to really get excited about. I mean, technically that's "improvement", but not enough improvement to really matter.

Reactions: 3 people
The thing is, if you thought 2013 was a good year, then you should probably feel positive about 2014. To me, going from the 106th total offense to the 100th total offense is nothing to really get excited about. I mean, technically that's "improvement", but not enough improvement to really matter.

People need to get over this "we are Tennessee" ****.

We were 5-7 three seasons in a row. It's not going to magically go back to what it was.

Reactions: 19 people

Good point, but does the data not show that there should be a sizable jump in 2015 with the returning players?

I certainly am expecting it and am excited about it.

What about 3rd down eff? What about opposing teams def ranking vs last yr?

My biggest issue

1. We r very predictable on what we r going to run from a formation.

2. We run the same plays on the same down way to much.

3. Week to week off plan n plays never change regardless of the opp teams weakness..

4. In game n halftime off adj were suspect most of the yr.

Good to see progress but need to see against def level of competition to really make a statement.

This is what I referenced in my post.

I love to lay out clearly defined progress and not get caught up in how something looks or what it seems like is happening. I like seeing numbers on paper and seeing if the numbers say it got better or worse.

You may feel like they are repetitive or what not but the fact is we are improving and we improved this season with a severely younger group of players.

Reactions: 3 people
No excuses next year please! We better beat Iowa or this place will be in an uproar!

People need to get over this "we are Tennessee" ****.

We were 5-7 three seasons in a row. It's not going to magically go back to what it was.

It's got nothing to do with that.

At some point, you have to make more than the bare minimum progress. You have to do more than simply meeting expectations.

Let's say the offense makes the same "improvement" it did this year (going from 106 to 100) and goes from the 100th offense to the 94th offense and then again the next year, to the 88th offense, and so on...you still have a really bad offense for the next decade.

Expecting significant improvement isn't some matter of "we're Tennessee", like you suggest. It is simply acknowledging the reality that programs are rarely successfully rebuilt at such a snail's pace.

6-6 (regular season) and a bowl. What else do you need to know about progress? :)
Now, next season will be a whole different animal. The natives are getting restless. :whistling:

GO VOLS!

Good point, but does the data not show that there should be a sizable jump in 2015 with the returning players?

I certainly am expecting it and am excited about it.

We'll see. Would you say you saw alot of improvement this year out of the guys who returned from 2013? Worley? North? Lane? I saw some improvement here and there, but were huge strides made?

It's got nothing to do with that.

At some point, you have to make more than the bare minimum progress. You have to do more than simply meeting expectations.

Let's say the offense makes the same "improvement" it did this year (going from 106 to 100) and goes from the 100th offense to the 94th offense and then again the next year, to the 88th offense, and so on...you still have a really bad offense for the next decade.

Expecting significant improvement isn't some matter of "we're Tennessee", like you suggest. It is simply acknowledging the reality that programs are rarely successfully rebuilt at such a snail's pace.

Snail's pace? He literally just passed 2 years being here. I know it feels like an eternity because Dooley was here and it's been so long since we were relevant. The clock didn't start on CBJ in 2008. It started when he was hired and people need to remember that.

We'll see. Would you say you saw alot of improvement this year out of the guys who returned from 2013? Worley? North? Lane? I saw some improvement here and there, but were huge strides made?

Well there weren't many and almost all of them I'd say yes.

Worley - Certainly, significant improvement IMO.
North - I think he was improved for sure, his production was up in a lot less action while on the field.
Lane - I think he stayed about the same
Pig - Huge improvement and great improvement
Josh Smith - Huge improvement in only 3 games

Crazy to think those are really the only guys that returned with any significant experience.

Funny you use 3 guys that were hurt 75% of the season. Worley looked really sharp up until he was injured at UGA.

What about Maggitt? AJ? Sutton? JRM? Dobbs?

They all made huge strides.

Reactions: 4 people
Snail's pace? He literally just passed 2 years being here. I know it feels like an eternity because Dooley was here and it's been so long since we were relevant. The clock didn't start on CBJ in 2008. It started when he was hired and people need to remember that.

The fact of the matter is, most coaches who successfully rebuild a program make a greater impact over their predecessor by year two than a single win.

Where was Ole Miss when Hugh Freeze took over? Where were they after year two?

Where was Vanderbilt before James Franklin? Where were they in year two?

Miss State and Dan Mullen?

I won't even get into Alabama with Saban or Auburn with Malzahn, because then the excuses will really fly.

Funny you use 3 guys that were hurt 75% of the season. Worley looked really sharp up until he was injured at UGA.

What about Maggitt? AJ? Sutton? JRM? Dobbs?

They all made huge strides.

Haha, you criticize me and then cite a player who was injured for all of 2013 as your evidence for making a huge improvement?

Sutton certainly reached another level. I don't know about the others. I'd say they improved, but I don't know if it was a huge leap.

Dobbs (the only offensive guy you listed) is the most frustrating. On one hand, he certainly had better highs and certainly looked like he had reached a whole new level against South Carolina. But by the end of the year, he looked to be having the same struggles he did in 2013. It's kind of sad that we go into Butch's 3rd year still unclear as to whether he has yet developed a dependable playmaker at QB.

Clearly you guys don't realize that we lost our 2nd or 3rd string TE and most likely our 3rd or 4th string RB. The bench is what wins games, regardless if they play or not. Plus Butch is trying to convert DTs into OLinemen. That clearly can't work, those guys never achieve anything. I see us regressing next year since our talented bench players, who never see the field, won't be able to push us in practice, and our lowly rated DL recruits get converted into AA OLinemen.

-one more win
-a bowl appearance
-1 more SEC win
-2 Road SEC wins
Ect.

But many on here talk about how bad the offense was. How poor the OC is and that this side of the staff should be "in trouble".

Well the facts lay out in a very different way. We accomplished better numbers this year having to face the following adversities.

-Replacing all 5 OL
-Losing our starting QB and having to play with our 3rd string QB the last third of the season.

-66 More Points in 2014
-100 More Plays
-76 More First Downs
-9 More Passing TD's
-4 Less INT's

Think about how much those numbers are going to go up next year with the following notes about what is coming back for this offense.

-Return our entire OL 3 deep but 1 walk on with one ACL (Thank you Jacob Gilliam)
-Another year to develop the OL after they've had a year of playing together adding talented freshman and getting Blair ready

I think a lot of people are down on the O for no reason, when you look at the circumstances and the results I think the offensive staff did a HELL of a coaching job in 2014.

Go Vols!

44 freshman starts? BUT WE JUST LOST 3!!! :cray::cray:

The fact of the matter is, most coaches who successfully rebuild a program make a greater impact over their predecessor by year two than a single win.

Where was Ole Miss when Hugh Freeze took over? Where were they after year two?

Where was Vanderbilt before James Franklin? Where were they in year two?

Miss State and Dan Mullen?

I won't even get into Alabama with Saban or Auburn with Malzahn, because then the excuses will really fly.

I'm in the car, so I can't speak to all of them right now. But naming Malzahn is a joke. They won a NC in 2010.

These are some of my thoughts as well. You have to ask yourself - do you believe this staff can go toe to toe with Saban? That is the goal right? To beat the Bama's of the world? The jury is obviously still out, but I haven't been overly thrilled with what I've seen so far. We were a bigger dumpster fire than most rebuilds though, easily.

Clearly you guys don't realize that we lost our 2nd or 3rd string TE and most likely our 3rd or 4th string RB. The bench is what wins games, regardless if they play or not. Plus Butch is trying to convert DTs into OLinemen. That clearly can't work, those guys never achieve anything. I see us regressing next year since our talented bench players, who never see the field, won't be able to push us in practice, and our lowly rated DL recruits get converted into AA OLinemen.

I know of at least a couple of exceptions to this statement. Charles McCrea went from a very mediocre DE to an All American OT in only one year in the 80's while I was there. We also have the conversion of one Jason Witten from DE to TE and the results of that are...well you know.

So we replace an entire NFL roster worthy O-line...that was missing one recruiting class worth of depth thanks to Dooley....and how did you expect a massive jump in improvement out of those names mentioned in the passing game with no time to have an effective passing game?

Hurd was a beast all year as a true freshman---174 attempts 816 rushing yards 4.5 yd per carry average....with that O-line. Add Kamara to the back field with Dobbs and Hurd....bowl practices and another season of S&C....this O-line gets better....the rest will take care of itself with the talent on this roster and about to sign with us.

Come on man....it kills you to admit it.

Last edited:

-one more win
-a bowl appearance
-1 more SEC win
-2 Road SEC wins
Ect.

-Replacing all 5 OL

-66 More Points in 2014
-100 More Plays
-76 More First Downs
-9 More Passing TD's
-4 Less INT's

Go Vols!

The bowl game was the most important thing. But honestly we can't compare stats like that based on the yr before. Opponents change yr to yr as does players. SEC defenses were much better last yr as a whole. Even Ala had issues on D this yr as did GA and S.Carol. Not taking away anything, we are a better team as a whole this yr, especially our defense. The D couldn't get off the field last yr and that side of the ball significantly improved. As far as receivers and QB's it was just as bad last yr as far as injuries. We had better depth this yr with Pearson, Malone, Wolf and Ellis. Think we used Hurd more than they wanted to but with Lane hurt a lot of the yr, Scott stayed hurt, Young hurt we had a transfer and walkon backing up Hurd. Then probably running Dobbs more than they wanted but you do what you gotta do. I'm really proud of our Vols with how they battled and never gave up at any point. And Worley showed how much of a tough SOB he is. We did return our starting QB this yr and receivers too plus added more talent at WR and TE. Next yr is the yr we really should show improvement and have depth at most positions and not Dooley bring in anyone type depth but battle for the SEC in a yr or 2 type depth. The biggest question will be at QB. How well does Dobbs develop now knowing it's his job and can he take the steps to be a good SEC QB, then who backs him up. Ideally we get a Braxton Miller type transfer come in and someone mentioned Keaton the other day. Don't know if that is internet BS or whatever. Good QB play will be the difference in a 5-6 win season or an 8+ win season.

There was hugh improvement in the offence in 2014 and if the o-line would have held
up there would have been more.Next year will be exciting to watch.

ps,beating iowa is NOT a must,this year,mission accomplished

VN Store

Back