Transfers defectors and numbers.

jason3713

For the sky is falling group. We knew we would and we need defectors from our classes.

We sign 32 in 2014 , 28 in 2015 and 25 in 2016. Well there's 85 scholarship players and you can't sign a freshman in 2017.

Loosing players is part of the game. It happens every where, every year.

Reactions: 37 people
Agree and another poster hit the nail on the head yesterday regarding the fact that Butch was playing any true freshman that could contribute as evidenced by Hurd, Barnett, Wolfe, TKjr, etc. and yet these transfers couldn't hardly get on the field. They either didn't have it in them to compete at this level, or we're maybe a bit overrated in the recruiting process. Time to move along, best of luck to them in their futures.

Reactions: 16 people
Fade,

I think you make a good point. We often talk about how a "3 star" or "2 star" we get is underrated and is gonna rock the world when he gets here. I think its also reasonable to assume that some of the "4 star" recruits we get in are overrated. I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons this could happen.

The point being, I think Butch has pretty much proven he is a pretty good evaluator or talent. But at this level, dealing with this many kids, you're going to have some who outperform expectations and some who underperform.

It seems in the past there was a pride issue involved with some of the coaches. They would hold on to underperforming players because they had recruited them and they didn't want to look like they had made a mistake. Whereas, Butch seems a bit more results driven. Not advocating one or the other, just laying out the facts.

Reactions: 5 people
Generally an attrition rate of 30 to 45% is common with most major program's classes. All the defections are shocking to some but we had to make space for 8 to 9 more players just to get a full signing class. Early defections open up early enrollee spaces if a player can qualify to EE. All the people panicking now are going to be losing their minds because we still need more space.

Reactions: 3 people
Fade,

I think you make a good point. We often talk about how a "3 star" or "2 star" we get is underrated and is gonna rock the world when he gets here. I think its also reasonable to assume that some of the "4 star" recruits we get in are overrated. I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons this could happen.

The point being, I think Butch has pretty much proven he is a pretty good evaluator or talent. But at this level, dealing with this many kids, you're going to have some who outperform expectations and some who underperform.

It seems in the past there was a pride issue involved with some of the coaches. They would hold on to underperforming players because they had recruited them and they didn't want to look like they had made a mistake. Whereas, Butch seems a bit more results driven. Not advocating one or the other, just laying out the facts.

Butch is following the same model as Saban did when he rebuilt Bama.

One teams loss is another gain..
Kamara former Bama player
Ellis-Uconn
Gamble- UVA

Be more concerned if Barnett or Wolf wanted to leave

Reactions: 13 people
Ellis-Uconn
Gamble- UVA

We're about to add another Wolf to the pack. Ethan's brother will walkon for us next year most likely.

Reactions: 8 people
Ellis-Uconn
Gamble- UVA

This. If we had starters or standouts cleaning out lockers, i could see it. I knew there would be some attrition just bc of the idea of the previous class. Everybody saw a chance to come in and play early.

Helm needed weight, Scott got hurt, and Hendrix needed weight too i believe. These kids competed for a spot and didnt get it this season.

They either saw the writing on the wall, that with the lvl of competition they werent going to play or they dont want to work hard enough for it.

I hope all these kids go on to be great somewhere, glad they were part of this 1st group of the "rebuilding" recruits.

NEXT MAN UP! GO VOLS!

Isn't it funny how starters don't appear to get as "homesick" as others?

Hendrix was one that I thought could've been a good player for us. Scott and Helm I think would've been recruited over quickly anyways.

Reactions: 2 people
Isn't it funny how starters don't appear to get as "homesick" as others?

Hendrix was one that I thought could've been a good player for us. Scott and Helm I think would've been recruited over quickly anyways.

Yep. Starters do not get the homesick need to go home bug.:good!:

Reactions: 1 person
Fade,

Dools was all about recruiting the overrated 4*s.

These players are freshmen. It's too early to tell if they have it in them to compete at this level. Barnett is the exeption, not the rule. It takes most freshmen a couple of years to develop before they make a significant impact. That doesn't mean they won't be good players.

Having said that, I hate to see them go but attrition is just the nature of the beast. It happens everywhere, best of luck to them.

It says something about the talent level of our starters here when really good, young players think they can start elsewhere. But it sucks when trying to build depth.

Yep. Starters do not get the homesick need to go home bug.:good!:

I think all freshmen get it to a degree.

I guess it's a shocker that you go from all these coaches signing your praises and telling you how great you are to going to them grinding you and pushing you to be the best you can.

I went from a recruiter promising me all these things to a drill sergeant kicking my sorry behind every day when I was about their age. College football and boot camp aren't completely the same but both prepare you for the not so sheltered part of life.

These players are freshmen. It's too early to tell if they have it in them to compete at this level. Barnett is the exeption, not the rule. It takes most freshmen a couple of years to develop before they make a significant impact. That doesn't mean they won't be good players.

Having said that, I hate to see them go but attrition is just the nature of the beast. It happens everywhere, best of luck to them.

This post is accurate.

You know if you were to work at a job for 15 years or so.....there's probably going to come a time when you want to work elsewhere...or do something else completely different.

These kids (20 years old) have probably been playing football since they were 5-6 years of age. It could be that some of these 4* are just tired....tired of strapping on the pads and getting hit time after time after time......

or

They realize that their chance at the "brass ring" in life comes through football and they've realized that their chance at UT is slimming down dramatically. For this group, its a business decision. They want to go somewhere and start or at least be in the 2-deep to get further development, attention, etc. I would do the same thing in I were in this group.

I think being homesick is kind of a weak reason to leave. Now I'm not saying that you're not allowed to be homesick, but you gotta stick it out. Let's say some of these kids go pro eventually and end up in Seattle or some place far away. They just gonna pack up and leave?

If a bear wants to eat he has to leave the cave.

Reactions: 2 people
I would imagine that in their one-on-one meetings with coaches, the players are being told very plainly what it will take for them to get snaps. You have to understand that some of these kids have a strong sense of entitlement from the environment they grew up in and if they feel like they are fighting an uphill battle for snaps rather than being coddled, they're going to shut down. If there's one thing CBJ and the coaches have proven, it's that you will earn your snaps no matter how many stars were beside your name on the recruiting sites.

Reactions: 4 people
Agree and another poster hit the nail on the head yesterday regarding the fact that Butch was playing any true freshman that could contribute as evidenced by Hurd, Barnett, Wolfe, TKjr, etc. and yet these transfers couldn't hardly get on the field. They either didn't have it in them to compete at this level, or we're maybe a bit overrated in the recruiting process. Time to move along, best of luck to them in their futures.

You only get one year to contribute or see if you can play at this level? Lol

By far most need at least a year to develop.

Ellis-Uconn
Gamble- UVA

Be more concerned if Barnett or Wolf
wanted to leave

Ellis-Uconn? Not Alex. Gamble is a walk on wr who couldn't get playing time at UVA. Rationalize all you want but losing Hendrix, Scott, Helm and maybe Sawyers is a big deal.

A lot of growing up to do in a short time. Give'em a break, not everyone is meant to play at Tennessee. An old saying..."Only the strong Survive".

Does anyone know the rules about signing players? For instance with Hendrix, Helm & Henderson gone, does that mean we can sign three more players that we didn't think we could before they left?

Does anyone know the rules about signing players? For instance with Hendrix, Helm & Henderson gone, does that mean we can sign three more players that we didn't think we could before they left?

No. It affects the 85 scholarship limit, though. After graduation and attrition, we still have a few more to lose to take a full class and hit that number.

VN Store

Back