Dustin Colquitt fakes the fake

I was thinking Colquitt just didn't see anyone open, but neither one of the gunners (or up-men) were running routes, so I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of that was. Someone messed up the play call or misheard somewhere.

Reactions: 1 person
I was thinking Colquitt just didn't see anyone open, but neither one of the gunners (or up-men) were running routes, so I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of that was. Someone messed up the play call or misheard somewhere.

Maybe the point is to get the return man to bite so he won't field the punt??

I watched it as it happened. The commentators said that he picked up that the right edge was going to block the punt so he stepped up and bought time and pinned them inside the 10. They called it a brilliant play. Colquiitt and De'anthony Thomas were the keys to that Chiefs win. Oakland had terrible field position all day thanks to Colquitt. Thomas had some great returns setting up the offense. With exception of about 3 plays, the Chiefs offense was pretty vanilla.

Maybe the point is to get the return man to bite so he won't field the punt??

Return man are taught to not react to fake punts unless a completion is made or the punter takes off running(at least, in my limited experience of being around coaches, so maybe I'm wrong). And anyway, most return men are also taught to not field inside the 10, as well, so that kinda goes out the window given I'm sure Dustin's purpose was to pin them inside the 10.

I watched it as it happened. The commentators said that he picked up that the right edge was going to block the punt so he stepped up and bought time and pinned them inside the 10. They called it a brilliant play. Colquiitt and De'anthony Thomas were the keys to that Chiefs win. Oakland had terrible field position all day thanks to Colquitt. Thomas had some great returns setting up the offense. With exception of about 3 plays, the Chiefs offense was pretty vanilla.

That's an interesting take on it, not sure I can buy it because he gripped the ball like he was getting ready to throw, and if he just goes through with the punt on usual timing he should get it off with ease, but who knows.

Return man are taught to not react to fake punts unless a completion is made or the punter takes off running(at least, in my limited experience of being around coaches, so maybe I'm wrong). And anyway, most return men are also taught to not field inside the 10, as well, so that kinda goes out the window given I'm sure Dustin's purpose was to pin them inside the 10.
thats what I've always thought.
I'm just trying to figure out what the possible point could have been.

It looked like a fake was on and it either blew up or just wasn't there so it turned into a weird kind of punter read/kick option.

thats what I've always thought.
I'm just trying to figure out what the possible point could have been.

It looked like a fake was on and it either blew up or just wasn't there so it turned into a weird kind of punter read/kick option.

Yeah. Either way, heck of a punt by Dustin under duress. Not many punters can pull off a punt that well under perfect circumstances.

A couple of thoughts:

1) There are probably certain reads from punt formation which call for an automatic switch to a pass. But if his teammate didn't read it the same way Dustin did, and kept going down field in punt coverage, Colquitt would have to pull the ball back and punt it.

2) If it was an intended fake, it did cause the defensive rushers in the middle to stop pushing forward and go vertical to block the pass. This allowed Colquitt to move up in the pocket, delay an extra second, then pull it down to safely punt the ball. The end result was the equivalent of adding another second or so to his punt's hang time. Better coverage.

Not surprised a punter would have time to think of something like that during the week. But impressed that a special teams coach would allow a punter to try it. Says a lot about Dustin, if that was the case.

He fakes the fake and punts it hoping the guys covering on the gunners saw him looking to pass and then start covering instead of blocking. When he punts it away, the guys covering see the ball in the air, knock it away, then its a live ball eligible to be recovered.

Ahhh hahaha! Look at number 12 on the Raiders after Colquitt kicked the ball! Bottom left of the screen.

Freaking priceless! :)

LegalShamefulBongo.gif

I watched the replay over and over, and I can't decide whether I think it was a designed "fake fake" or just a busted play the ended up going well for the Chiefs. Does anyone know what the coaches had to say about it in their press conferences?

He fakes to the left, no he fakes to the right, he doesn't fake. He thinks about faking, he pretends to fake.

Reactions: 5 people
Intentional or not, that's not an easy thing to do. I think it was a designed read fake, however he did not like the read so he pulled back to kick it instead. If ever there were any kickers to trust with a designed read on a fake punt, the Colquitt brothers would be it.

Last edited:
Intentional or not, that's not an easy thing to do. I think it was a designed read fake, however he did not like the read so he pulled back to kick it instead. If ever there were any kickers to trust with a designed read on a fake punt, the Colquitt brothers would be it.

Except for the 2005 Tennessee-Florida game :)

Last edited:

No, you're right...you're wrong. :)
Dustin= VFL. :rock:

GO VOLS!

Dustin Colquitt is a GENIUS! That whole family are great punters starting with Craig.

By doing that he allows the gunners to get down the field to down the ball. They must have seen something on film that made them think they would have plenty of time.

Spot on.

VN Store

Back