The 3 Inevitables of Recruiting While Rebuilding

skasper06

The fact that multiple kids are looking at possibly transferring is unfortunate (especially Helm because I really like the kid), but if a powerhouse team is properly rebuilding, it shouldn't be a surprise.

The way I see it, when you are rebuilding a powerhouse team as Tennessee is, it all starts with recruiting. And one of three things will happen if you are recruiting well:

1. The incoming player will do well, beat out other competition, and be happy with their status on the team.

2. They will see that they are physically getting beat on the field by other teammates and will not likely have the role they wanted on the team.

3. They are mentally being effected by things like being homesick, college culture shock, or simply not being worshiped as the Mr. Football they were used to being in High School.

It hurts to see guys go, but it's honestly a very smart strategy to building a strong foundation for the future of our program. While other schools get 20-25 recruits, Butch realizes we need as much top notch physical and mental talent as possible. So he reels in 30+ guys and lets highly competitive football take its natural course. It's inevitable and unfortunate that some kids will transfer, but it shouldn't surprise anyone. And for the record, I am fine with it in a very positive way. I don't blame any kid for leaving UT if they feel it's not where they need to be. No hard feelings. And I wish Scott, Henderson, and if the rumors are true, Hendrix and Helm the best of luck.

Reactions: 10 people
You also left out the one intangible that coaches cant control. Girls. Either a girl at home, or at another school or one at his school but messing with his head.. That happens a lot!

I see what you are saying OP, and I am generally excited about the direction of the program, but its hard not to wonder why these players want out. While none of them will be likely starters there is likely playing time available next year for all of them.

Reactions: 2 people
I see what you are saying OP, and I am generally excited about the direction of the program, but its hard not to wonder why these players want out. While none of them will be likely starters there is likely playing time available next year for all of them.

My best guess for each one... (yes, trolls.... just a guess so don't freak out)

Scott is homesick. He is from North Carolina and wants to be a little closer to home. If I remember reading correctly, he would try to enroll at NC State, but who knows...Either way, that puts him in category #3.

Hendrix is probably in the same boat. He is from Missouri if I remember correctly and is probably just struggling to live life away from his family as many kids do when they leave home for the first time. Hendrix could be really good at UT with plenty of playing time in the years to come (especially after Maggitt leaves), but mentally struggling while missing your family trumps playing time. He could get that at Mizzou most likely. So again, category #3.

Henderson is a little tricky because his issues were pre-college with his grades from HS apparently. Personally I liked the kid and thought he could do well after putting on some weight, but the NCAA is a B!@# and sometimes they screw a kid over. This doesn't put him in any of the 3 categories, but he is a special circumstance. However, my guess is he tries to transfer somewhere closer to home like Cincy, Ohio, or Miami (OH).

Helm is another category #3. Mentally he is far from home (Illinois) and if the rumors are true, he was pretty sheltered in his Christian home. The culture shock of college football vulgarity and graphic nature has been a mental challenge for him. Personally, as a Christian myself I feel like Christians are called to be around the lost and non-believers so we can show them Christ. Tebow is a good example of that. Not judging Helm though. I've already said I love the kid and hope he stays. Either way, #3.

Reactions: 3 people
Also, I think kids are being mentally challenged by not being home for the holidays. These are 19 year old kids that likely haven't ever missed Christmas with their family. Butch even just said Tennessee football isn't about being home for the holidays, it's about preparing for a bowl game. It's kind of sad really. I admit I would be mentally challenged by that.

As a side note, the NCAA sucks for allowing college football bowl games to occur during the holiday season. For an organization that says being a student comes first and calls the athletes "amateurs," it sure does make me sick the way they manipulate and monopolize these kid's lives and futures.

Also, I think kids are being mentally challenged by not being home for the holidays. These are 19 year old kids that likely haven't ever missed Christmas with their family. Butch even just said Tennessee football isn't about being home for the holidays, it's about preparing for a bowl game. It's kind of sad really. I admit I would be mentally challenged by that.

As a side note, the NCAA sucks for allowing college football bowl games to occur during the holiday season. For an organization that says being a student comes first and calls the athletes "amateurs," it sure does make me sick the way they manipulate and monopolize these kid's lives and futures.

I agree. But I do love stuffing my face around the holidays watching bowl games

It is amazing the extent some will go to rationalize everything as "good".

This is bad. It ain't good in any way, shape, or form. A team that NEEDS depth loses players who WERE NOT beaten out. They played. Helm was playing as much as Wolf by the end of the season. Hendrix was getting PT. Only injuries kept Scott from playing.

I don't know why they left and neither do most here. There have been many rumors and SOME OF THEM do not reflect well on the coaches.

You can believe whatever you like but please stop pretending this is somehow another "brick". It isn't. They lost some bricks with this.

Reactions: 9 people

This is bad. It ain't good in any way, shape, or form. A team that NEEDS depth loses players who WERE NOT beaten out. They played. Helm was playing as much as Wolf by the end of the season. Hendrix was getting PT. Only injuries kept Scott from playing.

I don't know why they left and neither do most here. There have been many rumors and SOME OF THEM do not reflect well on the coaches.

You can believe whatever you like but please stop pretending this is somehow another "brick". It isn't. They lost some bricks with this.

We don't want soft bricks at TN. Time to bring in some new ones.

Soft bricks? Stop blaming the kids. They're still talented. These are NOT the kinds of players the OP is imagining. Hendrix and Helm earned PT as freshmen. They were going to be contributors.

Henderson and possibly Sawyer could have been good players. Losing 3 young and talented DL's from a part of your team that isn't deep AND is difficult to recruit... is NOT a good thing.

OK. I'll leave you alone now so you can put your head back in the sand.

Reactions: 7 people
Soft bricks? Stop blaming the kids. They're still talented. These are NOT the kinds of players the OP is imagining. Hendrix and Helm earned PT as freshmen. They were going to be contributors.

Henderson and possibly Sawyer could have been good players. Losing 3 young and talented DL's from a part of your team that isn't deep AND is difficult to recruit... is NOT a good thing.

OK. I'll leave you alone now so you can put your head back in the sand.

My point is if they can't handle the competition they should leave. We do not want kids who do not want to be here. It is not a big deal. If you want to go back to mediocrity where kids aren't challenged call Dooley he will gladly come back.

Nobody, at least on this thread, said they were leaving because of lack of playing time. They all would have played and added important depth. Especially Helm. In this case, it is definitely not playing time. But it is personal. Being personal means we don't get to know and we don't need to know. It's their business. Football isn't everything people.

Reactions: 1 person
This happens at every school pretty much every year. Not a new thing nor one that is limited to this staff.

OP, We can't sign 30+ every class...dey got rules for that sort of thing ya know.

My point is if they can't handle the competition they should leave.
There is NO evidence that being unable to handle competition was a major factor. In fact, the 3 confirmed transfers had all earned PT as Fr. Helms role had expanded.

We've heard that they were homesick and that they didn't like the language directed at them by coaches. There each undoubtedly have multi-faceted reasons.

But acting is if they just couldn't cut it is a ridiculous, defensive reaction. Blame the kid so you don't have to think about anything else being wrong.

We do not want kids who do not want to be here. It is not a big deal.
No. We don't... but YES it is. Jones has boasted about having a "profile" they use for selecting recruits. When you lose 5 of 16 of your four star players.... then at a bare minimum there's something wrong with the "profile".

If you want to go back to mediocrity where kids aren't challenged call Dooley he will gladly come back.[/QUOTE]

Or we can go back to Fulmer's mediocrity where we felt great on NSD but then saw most of the 4/5* players from those classes gone before contributing?

That hasn't happened yet but you can stop pretending this is "not a big deal". It is a VERY big deal. This is another thing the staff better figure out in a hurry.

According to the reasons/excuses for UT not winning now... the Vols don't have depth. Well, you just saw a DT and two DE's leave the team.... That is NOT good for depth.

Reactions: 3 people
Ok, I get it...No more Bowl Games...we are not going to miss Christmas for a Stinkin' Bowl Game!
boycott-college-football-bcs-300x268.jpg

If this is OK then you can stop using the "no depth, no talent, and too young" excuses.

If you lose talented Fr then you aren't going to develop depth or experience very fast.

OP, We can't sign 30+ every class...dey got rules for that sort of thing ya know.

I understand that. But signing as many highly talented kids as possible to fill your scholarship roster is reasonable. This past year it just happened to be 32. This year it might be 25-30 (especially with the release of these guys from scholarship).

does anyone have the exact number of scholarships we will have to offer after the seniors and transfers leave?

I wonder how many in this thread who are automatically blaming the players and declaring that this is all part of building a program will be crying "Attrition!" during the season when we get beat again by a team (like Missouri) who hasn't recruited as well as we have.

Reactions: 4 people
I understand that. But signing as many highly talented kids as possible to fill your scholarship roster is reasonable. This past year it just happened to be 32. This year it might be 25-30 (especially with the release of these guys from scholarship).

There are folks in the recruiting forum that understand how this all works. But the NCAA has a limit then the SEC has one on top of that. I think the cap is 25 but then they have rules for back counting certain players to the last class if it wasn't full. UT's last class WAS full but iirc there might have been a caveat that would have allowed them to sign a couple more than 25... but players leaving the way these are do not allow you to recruit more in the next class.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back