My official Hawkeye Manifesto

BrewHawk

So after watching a few of your games and pondering our matchup, I wanted to pass on some thoughts about what I see happening come gametime in Jacksonville.

I'll keep this in bullet points to try to keep the reading-challenged from getting intimidated by the excessive verbiage:)

- If Iowa wins the coin-toss, they will take the ball. This has often lead to a three-and-out and then an ineffective punt which gives the opponent great starting field position.

- Iowa historically has had a problem defending mobile QBs. Tennessee's offense looks a whole lot like Minnesota's, which doesn't bode well after the ass-whipping they gave us.

- Dobbs' running ability really worries me. I think he could have his biggest plays when dropping back to pass and then taking off on the run after Iowa's LBs have made their drops. QB draws likely will be effective for the same reason. I'd like to see more blitzing to force the action, but not sure this will happen due to the risk of giving up the big play.

- When facing mobile QBs, the DL typically plays to fill lanes and keep the LBs free rather than forcing the issue with penetration. This was seen vs. Iowa St. and was a large part of the reason they beat us. Very conservative and had to be frustrating for the LBs and DBs as they were left covering receivers for way too long.

- Iowa replaced both the OC and DC three years ago with multiple position coaching changes as well. This transition has not gone smoothly whatsoever. The Hawks had returning starters at QB, RB, WR and 3/5 OL. For whatever reason, the offense really stunk earlier in the year. We have a Texas OC without the Texas skill-player talent.

- Typically Iowa's DL leads the way in the success of the defense. The lack of an edge rusher and three brand new LBs have been a lot to overcome. This unit has played better and better as the season has gone on, but has been placed in tough positions due to poor STs play and lack of offensive proficiency.

- Iowa has been at their best when they go back to the previous OCs schemes with downhill running coupled with play-action passing. The horizontal passing game has failed miserably mostly due to lack of quickness on the perimeter and the ability of defenses to man up on the outside and load up the box.

- QB Jake Rudock has been coached to be risk-averse and won't throw to a receiver unless he's wide open. Because of our receivers not being wide open much, the passing game is also very inconsistent. We came out vs. Wisconsin very conservative and trailed by 16 before coming out of their proverbial collective shells to open up the passing game with great success.

- We run Mark Weisman, a 240 lb. tailback on outside zone stretches with alarming regularity. He's a strong runner with decent speed for his size, but has no change of direction ability and misses cutback lanes over and over. Behind him on the depth chart is some quickness, but they don't get to play enough.

- Tevaun Smith is a darn good receiver who isn't thrown to nearly enough. Iowa's offense lets the defense dictate where the ball goes rather than dictating to the defense what they need to cover. Everything is done with sight-reads on the LOS, which forces the QB and receivers to be on the same page or the play fails.

- Special teams had been a strength in the past and won Iowa several games along the way. This year, punt coverage and the return game has been a liability. FG kicking has improved as the season has gone on. PK has a very strong leg and is fourth in the nation in touchback percentage.

- To win this game Iowa will need to avoid multiple turnovers, keep the penalty count down, stay on schedule and in front of the chains, have some semblance of a running game and avoid giving up the big play both defensively and on special teams.

- If Iowa doesn't do the above and Tennessee plays a relatively clean game I don't think we have a chance.

- My unbiased opinion of your team is very optimistic and I think you have great things ahead of you, starting as early as next year by winning the SEC East. Dobbs, Hurd, Sutton and Barnett are outstanding. Getting your OL healthy will probably be your biggest key to success.

- I'm as optimistic as they come regarding the Hawkeyes, but I just don't know which team is going to show up. If the Hawks are ready to play and do the above, which is entirely possible, I could see Iowa winning by 2-3 TDs. My confidence level for this is about 10%.

- Ferentz typically has Iowa ready to go for bowl games and scouts the opponents very well. I'm just not sure we have an answer for Dobbs. I don't see a blowout happening and am more confident about a convincing Iowa win over us getting drubbed. The real answer probably rests somewhere in the middle, so I will say Tennessee wins 24-19. Iowa has had trouble scoring TDs in the red zone with alarming regularity and has to settle for four FGs and only one TD.

I'll tell you what I'd like to see Iowa do if I were OC vs. what I think they'll do in a later post.

Reactions: 11 people
fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Nice write up OP. One thing that may help your chances... Our D isn't great in the red zone. Your TD/FG ratio might be better than you expect to our detriment...

So here is a bit more about our offense and a few things I would do differently.

Iowa has actually been pretty multiple in their approach, ranging from a 13 set (three TE and one RB) to going empty with five wides and everything in-between including your typical pro-set I formation and plenty of shotgun.

What we saw early in the season was Greg Davis' horizontal offense in full effect. Problem is, when our receivers catch the ball on the LOS, they just don't have the short area quickness to break big plays. Also, teams were manning up and daring the Hawks to throw the ball downfield with 8-9 in the box and it was not attempted.

So, at some point that was ditched and we went back to a power run game with play action deep shots and voila! the offense looked a whole lot better. There is still quite a bit of room for improvement as we still continued to see our converted FB, Weisman, trying to make it to the perimeter when he just doesn't have the footspeed to be able to do that. There are cutback lanes, but once he gets a head of steam up, he's not changing direction.

Canzeri and Wadley have much more shiftiness, but also go down pretty easily with first contact. Wadley has put the ball on the ground a few times as well. They just aren't strong enough to break tackles. Defenses have just been stringing plays out to the sideline and are now getting penetration from LBs initially that often blows the play up before it has a chance to get going.

So, what I would like to see more of that we've only done on a novelty basis is a complete jet sweep package with another one of our quicker RBs Parker (#10). This provides some constraint for the LBs to not just crash to the play side as he is coming from the opposite direction and has good enough speed to play in the SEC:dance2: We could also run some play action off this as well and run him on a wheel route after faking to Weisman.

I also really like our 3 TE package as it makes the defense really respect the power run game, while at the same time getting some really athletic players out in the passing game. Duzey (#87) and Kittle (#46) in particular are future NFL TEs. Last year we kicked Ohio State's ass for a half with this formation alone, until Braxton Miller and Carlos Hyde starting running all over the field and exposed the lack of athleticism on our defense. Those guys are special players though.

Then there's the backup QB CJ Beathard that you guys fear so very much. The guy just doesn't have enough of a grasp on the offense yet to beat out Rudock, but he has everything else including a great release, strong arm, great play-action fake as well as the ability to run the read option very well also. I really like Rudock as an individual, but Beathard could really allow our offense to take the next step forward if he could just get the mental side of the game down. I think it could happen in the off-season.

I doubt he plays in the bowl game unless things just aren't going well at all or if Rudock gets hurt. He is capable, but just hasn't been consistent enough to earn more playing time.

Reactions: 2 people
We don't fear beathard personally, we have a fear of second string QB's in general. It is an insider thing.

Reactions: 4 people
We don't fear beathard personally, we have a fear of second string QB's in general. It is an insider thing.

Understand. It's why I threw that in there. So many Iowa fans have been clamoring for him to start all year as Rudock just isn't a big playmaker.

The odds of Beathard playing without Rudock being injured or in the case of a blowout are slim to none.

Reactions: 1 person
Interesting write up BrewHawk thanks for your thoughts. On the other hand, glad that LoLo is one of yours.

Nice post Brewhawk. Weisman reminds me of a young Mike Alstott. Tennessee's D needs to get many 3 and outs or their D line will be battered by the second half. If the Vols get up by 14+ points and force Iowa to become one-dimensional in the passing game Tennessee has a very good shot to win. Bowl season can't get here fast enough.

OP... I actually appreciate the detailed personal analysis from someone familiar with the Iowa program. I appreciate your willingness to do so.

Note to VN: When someone takes the time to give us good info, don't be a dick. If you don't like to read, go to YouTube.

That is all...

Reactions: 3 people
OP... I actually appreciate the detailed personal analysis from someone familiar with the Iowa program. I appreciate your willingness to do so.

Note to VN: When someone takes the time to give us good info, don't be a dick. If you don't like to read, go to YouTube.

That is all...
Thought you were a pastor

Understand. It's why I threw that in there. So many Iowa fans have been clamoring for him to start all year as Rudock just isn't a big playmaker.

The odds of Beathard playing without Rudock being injured or in the case of a blowout are slim to none.

From reports I have heard Mr. Beathard will be starting this game.

From reports I have heard Mr. Beathard will be starting this game.

These reports are currently inaccurate, unless something happens between now and the bowl game.

Ferentz has come out and reiterated that Rudock will start, just to clear the air.

Nice post. Do you think that Iowa will try to stack the box to dare Dobbs to throw?

Doubtful. Iowa typically plays a base 4-3 cover six with some occasional blitzing. The DL will play contain and try to keep the OL off the LBs to let them run free and make tackles.

We do have one very good corner and one that is athletic, but inexperienced, so you might see some man, but typically the m.o. of the Hawkeye defense is to keep everything in front and prevent the big play. We have given up more big plays than usual this year, mostly due to the inexperience of the LBs

The safeties have been good in run support this year, but can be exploited through the air (especially Lowdermilk).

VN Store

Back