Just a thought on all the recent transfers.......

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
With Joe Henderson, Derrell Scott, rumors of Daniel Helm, the (now squashed) rumors of Josh Malone being unhappy, and whoever else we have leaving the program (IIRC Dewayne Hendrix recently? Could be wrong about that one) it looks like it's drawing some concern among the fanbase. We also just had "Mr. All Vol" Cecil Cherry decommit.

Just a thought here, but I think as long as Butch is recruiting the way he is, we probably need to expect this around this time of year. Butch is recruiting the best of the best right now. When you are the best player on your team in High School, you are Mr. Football in the eyes of your peers. You hear talk about how you are going to make millions in the pros, you know you are getting a D-1 scholarship to an SEC school, and you expect to go there and get the same form of attention/praise you are used to getting in High School.

On the contrary, you come here to play with the big boys and you are not the star. You are not the starter. In most of the cases listed above you are not even the 2nd string. Kids that are thinking about their future millions they were "guaranteed" to make in High School start panicking, and they will do whatever it takes to get back to "football star" status. Even if it means transferring to a weaker team in a weaker conference.

I really don't think Derrell Scott was ever going to be the star here. I don't think Joe Henderson was ever going to be the stud-lineman he's probably used to being. We will see this when freshman high school studs come here, some are going to lose "star status" and they're going to bail. This is what you deal with when it comes to recruiting Top 10/ Top 5 classes.

In short, this isn't the fault of the coaching staff, this is the fault of the mental battle of some kids. Being a star in High School can be the worst enemy to a top recruit. So basically as fans don't panic, in fact, get used to this. This will probably be a reoccurring theme as we keep recruiting well.

Reactions: 33 people
Didn't read.

Today we have practice and we'll know who is actually leaving and who is staying. I wish threads would stop until we have a better grasp on the situations.

Reactions: 4 people
Didn't read.

Today we have practice and we'll know who is actually leaving and who is staying. I wish threads would stop until we have a better grasp on the situations.

Knowledge of the specifics, or lack thereof, wasn't really my point. My point was just saying we'll probably start seeing this happen more frequently due to all the talent we're recruiting.

But you didn't read. So you didn't know that.

Reactions: 20 people
Knowledge of the specifics, or lack thereof, wasn't really my point. My point was just saying we'll probably start seeing this.

But you didn't read. So you didn't know that.

Wasn't directed at you, Chatt. Someone will take what you said and make it into another post though. That's what's irritating. You bring good stuff though. Keep on keeping on.

Reactions: 2 people
Eh, IDK. I think it was Swain talking about how these freshmen kids are always unhappy the first year, always battling mental obstacles like being homesick and adjusting to the college social environment. We just hear a lot more now because of the access of social media.

I think we probably see the same attrition rate that most schools do in the end because some of these kids will adjust and be fine here. Still there are others that just do not fit in and that's not necessarily their fault; they just need to find the right situation for themselves. A few kids like Helm and Hendrix we're working to retain because I would guess the staff sees a future for them here; others a mutual parting of ways could be in both parties best interests.

Reactions: 3 people
Either way I am sure anyone leaving has the support of the coaches. With Barnett being a freshmen all American and Mac and Tuttle on the way there will not be much PT for Henderson or Hendrix. Scott will play special teams for the rest of his career (Hurd and Kumara). It is what it is. I wish them the best.

In short, this isn't the fault of the coaching staff, this is the fault of the mental battle of some kids. Being a star in High School can be the worst enemy to a top recruit. So basically as fans don't panic, in fact, get used to this. This will probably be a reoccurring theme as we keep recruiting well.

How many times has Jones himself cited depth as a reason UT cannot win at a high level? IIRC, Saban signed the #1 class a few years ago and RS'd them all.

We don't know how the fault breaks down. Henderson apparently had NCAA issues. Homesickness is sometimes a factor but I've personally never seen this many guys who got opportunities to play get "homesick".

Now... on more than one occasion we've heard that players didn't like the language the coaches use in practice. Jones has many times said that they have a "profile"... well, if you recruit high character kids and especially ones that are strong Christians then you need to coach them with a certain kind of respect.

All of this is rumors... but you have NO basis for saying that it isn't the fault of the coaching staff. Some of it undoubtedly is.

Reactions: 9 people
Wow, has this theory of the reasons players are leaving grown in a few days. Now it's a cuss word being heard on the practice field. If that is truly a reason that some of these guys are citing for leaving, then they need to leave. The chess circuit is a little more tame, although some of those Russians get pretty heated. But if you don't understand Russian, then it will be all good. Or I guess you could home school through that Phoenix University while wrapping yourself in bubble wrap.

Reactions: 1 person
Didn't read.

"A few pre-practice notes...

First, it is important to note that Tennessee moved up football practice today in order to get coaches out on the recruiting trail earlier before dead period hits. Specifically, look for the Vols to be in-home with Ugo Amadi this evening after, we were told, LSU was expected to visit earlier in the day.

As for Quinten Dormady, he will be at practice, but is not expected to be cleared for throwing for the next 2-4 weeks. We are told that it is not a structural issue, but perhaps some scar tissue not in his throwing shoulder. There is optimism that he will be cleared in a few weeks and will begin throwing then.

On Daniel Helm, we do not expect him to practice with the Vols, and indications are that he will likely return home.

We are also hearing that Drae Bowles is exploring a transfer to UTC.

We also hear that official visits went very well this weekend, with Chance Hall and Alvin Kamara looking particularly physically impressive."

- John Brice
Well, I guess that's a little conformation at least as much as we've had to this point.

Wow, has this theory of the reasons players are leaving grown in a few days. Now it's a cuss word being heard on the practice field. If that is truly a reason that some of these guys are citing for leaving, then they need to leave. The chess circuit is a little more tame, although some of those Russians get pretty heated. But if you don't understand Russian, then it will be all good. Or I guess you could home school through that Phoenix University while wrapping yourself in bubble wrap.
Awwww hell, get ready for your lack of sensitivity speech.

Reactions: 3 people

Yeah. Wouldn't want to come close to admitting that the coaches did anything wrong.... would we?

A cuss word? Probably not a big deal. But if it is pervasive then it runs contrary to Jones' public claims about wanting a "family environment" or going about things in a "business" sort of way.

Yeah. Wouldn't want to come close to admitting that the coaches did anything wrong.... would we?

A cuss word? Probably not a big deal. But if it is pervasive then it runs contrary to Jones' public claims about wanting a "family environment" or going about things in a "business" sort of way.
Fahr Butch!

Reports of coaches treating kids bad excessive cussing etc have no substance. There is No reliable source on this subject. I can't imagine this staff treating kids like Dooley and his staff.

Eh, IDK. I think it was Swain talking about how these freshmen kids are always unhappy the first year, always battling mental obstacles like being homesick and adjusting to the college social environment. We just hear a lot more now because of the access of social media.

I think we probably see the same attrition rate that most schools do in the end because some of these kids will adjust and be fine here. Still there are others that just do not fit in and that's not necessarily their fault; they just need to find the right situation for themselves. A few kids like Helm and Hendrix we're working to retain because I would guess the staff sees a future for them here; others a mutual parting of ways could be in both parties best interests.

This. Fans are going to speculate -- it's human nature. But none of this is particularly unusual.

Reports of coaches treating kids bad excessive cussing etc have no substance. There is No reliable source on this subject. I can't imagine this staff treating kids like Dooley and his staff.

I was beginning to wonder, hadn't seen one word about it anywhere! Besides, if their too soft to take some yelling....eh, never mind!

I think your probably right! No one knows how much this will, if at all, effect us!

With all the preseason practice footage with no cursing, it is amazing how the coaches are able to turn it on and off when the press is no longer filming.

I "heard" that the coaches also perform sacrificial rituals that some of the freshmen are not comfortable with.

Reactions: 4 people
With Joe Henderson, Derrell Scott, rumors of Daniel Helm, the (now squashed) rumors of Josh Malone being unhappy, and whoever else we have leaving the program (IIRC Dewayne Hendrix recently? Could be wrong about that one) it looks like it's drawing some concern among the fanbase. We also just had "Mr. All Vol" Cecil Cherry decommit.

Just a thought here, but I think as long as Butch is recruiting the way he is, we probably need to expect this around this time of year. Butch is recruiting the best of the best right now. When you are the best player on your team in High School, you are Mr. Football in the eyes of your peers. You hear talk about how you are going to make millions in the pros, you know you are getting a D-1 scholarship to an SEC school, and you expect to go there and get the same form of attention/praise you are used to getting in High School.

On the contrary, you come here to play with the big boys and you are not the star. You are not the starter. In most of the cases listed above you are not even the 2nd string. Kids that are thinking about their future millions they were "guaranteed" to make in High School start panicking, and they will do whatever it takes to get back to "football star" status. Even if it means transferring to a weaker team in a weaker conference.

I really don't think Derrell Scott was ever going to be the star here. I don't think Joe Henderson was ever going to be the stud-lineman he's probably used to being. We will see this when freshman high school studs come here, some are going to lose "star status" and they're going to bail. This is what you deal with when it comes to recruiting Top 10/ Top 5 classes.

Don't tell Catbone this. He thinks kids are leaving due to "culture shock" and cursing coaches.

VN Store

Back