Your expectations for UT Football

What do you believe should be the standard for the Vol football program?

• Total voters

sjt18

We tend to argue around each other at times filling page after page before realizing that we do not have the same expectations.

Make it to the SECCG at least once every 5 years. That shouldn't be impossible seeing how there are really only 4 teams in the East.

Never have less than 8 wins in a season.

Beat Florida.

Beat Florida badly.

Never lose to KY, Vandy, or SC.

Reactions: 1 person
That one day the team gets good enough to quit rehashing the same points in new threads all offseason.

Reactions: 6 people
Competence, nuance, skill, flexibility, consistency, composure, and wins over UF, Bama, and UGA once in a blue moon.

Sometimes you know who started a thread without even clicking on it.

Reactions: 2 people
Make it to the SECCG at least once every 5 years. That shouldn't be impossible seeing how there are really only 4 teams in the East.

Never have less than 8 wins in a season.

Beat Florida.

Beat Florida badly.

Never lose to KY, Vandy, or SC.

Coach Fulmer was in the championship game every three years. I expect three or four trips to atlanta every ten years. Breaking in a new qb or new coordinator changing systems might result in a 5 to 7 win season at some point, but don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water. We should compete for championships in most seasons, again, depending on the qb position.
But I realize our roster and program were so pathetic when Jones got here, I'm willing to give him five years to start attaining goals. I do expect 8 wins next year, expect us to fix the Florida,Uga,Missouri or Bama problem, and expect us to compete for the east. 7 wins will make me become a little uneasy. The oline problem needs to be fixed.

I'd be happy with number 1. I know that don't make everybody happy, but win 9+ and always in the hunt for the sec is pretty good to me considering the quality of teams we play.

What's wrong with this thread?

High expectations make some of our Vol brethren uncomfortable. In the abstract, sure they'd like to see UT win championships. But when it comes down to real, concrete, objective expectations... they don't have the stomach for it.

High expectations make some of our Vol brethren uncomfortable. In the abstract, sure they'd like to see UT win championships. But when it comes down to real, concrete, objective expectations... they don't have the stomach for it.

I'll also add that part of some people's problem with laying their expectations on the line and out there for the world to see is if they are not met, they might have to admit they were wrong about certain things.

Coach Fulmer was in the championship game every three years. I expect three or four trips to atlanta every ten years. Breaking in a new qb or new coordinator changing systems might result in a 5 to 7 win season at some point, but don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water. We should compete for championships in most seasons, again, depending on the qb position.
But I realize our roster and program were so pathetic when Jones got here, I'm willing to give him five years to start attaining goals. I do expect 8 wins next year, expect us to fix the Florida,Uga,Missouri or Bama problem, and expect us to compete for the east. 7 wins will make me become a little uneasy. The oline problem needs to be fixed.

Case in point. First, YEAH championships!... then rationalization... then "well, maybe sometime in the distant future after all roster issues are resolved and the stars align perfectly". But even then it is OK to backslide to a losing program every once in awhile (though that's pretty much contrary to the whole notion of being a championship program).

Truth is... there will ALWAYS be some weakness, some new player, some injury, some coaching change, etc that will be an excuse for not winning.

Bama handles those things as does every other great program... but somehow it is too much to expect the UT coach to do it.

The overall expectation/standard is 9 wins or more each season with the SECCG always realistically on the radar throughout the season.

Reactions: 5 people
Championships are great and must be a goal. I like to see championships built with champions on and off the field. Bringing in quality student athletes and building them into men who will be future leaders. Along this path, you win championships. This said, I'd rather see a team that graduates 100% of the class with strong leaders and wins 9+ games yearly than a team that wins championships every year with a bunch of head-cases and hoods.

Championships ---- no brainer ---- with the occasional slippage due to a bad break or call... I want also to be consistently in Bama's Grill and have look forward to beating them twice in 1 year which has never happened.

I want to toy with GA, show FL that their program is history start new lengthy streaks against Vandy, Ky, USC and play a tough OOC Schedule with wins. Play In bowls of significance with NC implications.

Not hard to figure out. We have been there before and will return to it in the future. Just hope I am alive to see it.

This is what I expect.

CBJ is a good start let's let him ruin his course and if he doesn't get us to this point. We will hire someone else. If he continues to raise this teams level as he has done we will be better off if or when a change occurs. Face it Dooley had the program in the gutter, the day CBJ walk through the door the program took a giant step forward.

Last edited:
:hi:

Thanks. It is just a little tiring to argue with people only to later see them post that 7 wins would be enough to make them happy.

Well you nailed us down! My vote's 14!

The administration has other aspirations and the football program is a distraction. The SEC offers such huge revenue sharing on football, without regard to winning championships, they have decided "middle of the pack" is good enough to keep the stadium full. Vanderbilt will come out very well this season for example. Every move they have made over the last 3 years shows this mindset. Jones has done a great job of recruiting under these circumstances but it is still "middle of the pack" in the SEC. Can he recruit the same level of talent without the promise of immediate playing time? I would like to believe he can but the top SEC teams are not getting any weaker. We will not "out talent" them so how will we win championships?

VN Store

Back