December 1985

Boca Vol

Originally from Exit 81
Lab Rat
For those of us that are old enough to remember, how excited were you leading up to the Sugar Bowl following the 1985 season?

For me, I was 13 years old and living in Lenoir City. I used to listed to Phil Williams on 103.5 (Rock 104 in 1985) and watch the Bowl Brothers every day. The excitement was off the charts! Anyone else have special memories of that December?

Here's a special nugget from that month!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23iaMmti_nk

Reactions: 7 people
That was my first ever Tennessee game. Watched it on TV with my did and late uncle. It was a good day. I was 8.

Remember it well. Miami has called Tennessee out twice, and both times got they arse kicked.

Recall:Kellen Winslow jr rants.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Just remember being excited. (No internet to debate if I was too excited or not excited enough back then). Nice "104" reference btw. hadn't thought about that in years.

Reactions: 1 person
For those of us that are old enough to remember, how excited were you leading up to the Sugar Bowl following the 1985 season?

For me, I was 13 years old and living in Lenoir City. I used to listed to Phil Williams on 103.5 (Rock 104 in 1985) and watch the Bowl Brothers every day. The excitement was off the charts! Anyone else have special memories of that December?

Here's a special nugget from that month!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23iaMmti_nk

Greatest season I had as a kid. I grew up in Kingsport on a hill at the top of a subdivision that got great radio reception. Do you remember WOKI i think Phil Williams had the pleadin till your bleedin call in show where callers begged for records and merchandise.

Believe or not, my new wife and I watched the game at Harrahs in Lake Tahoe, on our honeymoon!!

Incredible Game, of course we have many even better memories from that trip!! :):):):):)

Reactions: 3 people
GBO, I was a Sophmore in HS that season, I recall it like it was yesterday! Probably my favorite UT team of all time!

I had that cassette tape with songs from all the radio stations in town, I played it broke. I love that song and still do!!

It's funny, down in my Dad's mancave he still has his Doug Atkins signed World's Fair beer (funny my last name is Atkins) & the Coke bottle from the '85 season.

The year I graduated from college. On Bourbon street, the UT faithful were kidding the U fans by saying, "In your eye Hurricanes".

The pundits gave UT no chance of winning with our 2nd string QB (Daryl Dickey). But they forgot about Tim McGhee (future all pro NFL WR) and.......a RB x-fer from William and Mary named Jeff Powell. He was awesome.

I remember Keith Jackson commenting on Tim McGhee, "If he's even...he's leavin'". The ABC commentators (Jackson and Frank Browles - former Ark Coach) couldn't believe UT's speed when compared against the U. And our defense......we had Alabama's DC from the year before and there were several plays where UT had ALL OF ITS PLAYERS up on the line against the Heisman Trophy winning QB and very first $1M NFL player - Vinny Testeverde.

Dale Jones (LB), Jeff Smith (TE), Harry Galbraeth (OG), the team was loaded....and so was Coach Majors!!!

Great memories....

Reactions: 6 people
I recently watched that whole event on YouTube on my tv. The picture was poor quality, but you could see the beat down good enough. The interviews before the game were great with the smugness some of the old Miami players were displaying. The defensive front relentlessly smashed their offense. What was amazing, the announcers kept saying that Miami was gonna comeback even though they had shown no signs of solving the arse whipping UT was inflicting.

I recently watched that whole event on YouTube on my tv. The picture was poor quality, but you could see the beat down good enough. The interviews before the game were great with the smugness some of the old Miami players were displaying. The defensive front relentlessly smashed their offense. What was amazing, the announcers kept saying that Miami was gonna comeback even though they had shown no signs of solving the arse whipping UT was inflicting.

How old are you?

I was only a few months old, y'all old geezers, but it's my dads favorite game of all time. He's got a big framed picture of the ut D drillin Testaverde. I would've loved to been old enough to see it......wait, no I dont. Lol

that was my first bowl game I went to and had a blast.

We took our 5-year old son to his first bowl game. New Orleans was ORANGE all over & the VOLS dismembered the 'Canes! Bourbon St. bands playing "Rocky Top", the Superdome thunderous on game day, offense & defense playing out of their minds...probably the greatest UT moment I've ever experienced! :salute:

Maybe it will make it on "the U part 2"
This happened when I was 8 but the two things I remember most growing up about UT at that time was this game and the guy who stayed on the billboard till Tennessee won.

A year younger than dirt. I was a freshman in college during that game. we had one hell of a frat party that night. Good times.

I thought you were "of age" but that post made you sound like you were 17. :p

Maybe it will make it on "the U part 2"
This happened when I was 8 but the two things I remember most growing up about UT at that time was this game and the guy who stayed on the billboard till Tennessee won.

It didn't make it on the "U" Part 1. After that aired I called into the Dan Lebatard Show and commented they didn't air any part of UT or Bama whoopin that ass.

I was only a few months old, y'all old geezers, but it's my dads favorite game of all time. He's got a big framed picture of the ut D drillin Testaverde. I would've loved to been old enough to see it......wait, no I dont. Lol

Ikr. It was one of my all time favorite Vol games as well. It was the springboard that put us back on the map. What made it so special, like others have said, was the utter disrespect by everyone on their team, the analysts, and the announcers toward UT. It went on for weeks leading up to that game. Our boys came into it looking for a fight, miami came in looking for a cake walk. We all know what happened.

I thought you were "of age" but that post made you sound like you were 17. :p

Probably about watching it again on YouTube. I couldn't sleep one night this year, and pulled it up. I had forgotten how blatantly disrespected we were before the game. I recommend watching it again for my fellow old guys. You will see what I mean.

Probably about watching it again on YouTube. I couldn't sleep one night this year, and pulled it up. I had forgotten how blatantly disrespected we were before the game. I recommend watching it again for my fellow old guys. You will see what I mean.

I see it listed on Youtube as well. I'll probably watch it one Sat or Sun morning over the next few weeks,

I see it listed on Youtube as well. I'll probably watch it one Sat or Sun morning over the next few weeks,
It's about 4 hours, including the interviews. But once you start it, you'll watch it all the way thru so allow for the time,lol.

Believe or not, my new wife and I watched the game at Harrahs in Lake Tahoe, on our honeymoon!!

Incredible Game, of course we have many even better memories from that trip!! :):):):):)

Pics or it didn't happen!

Of y'all watching the game of course. :p

VN Store

Back