Vols will win 8/9 games next year IF......

Volteacher

After looking at Tennessee's schedule for next year and looking at the wins and the losses, it seems 8 wins is definitely possible. Just winning their games at home with the exception of Oklahoma and gaining the win back at Kentucky.

The biggest IF is the OL and the ability to return more depth and skill to a depleted OL that has vastly underperformed with the exception of a few games.

Or would it be IF the Vols duplicated AJ's leadership role and playmaking ability to JRM or Maggitt and be able to make those plays and TFL he did so well.

Or would it be IF Dobbs can develop this spring and fall practices working with the 1st team only and be the man we saw in the 10 quarters against Bama/USCe/Kentucky or is he going to be the player we saw in 8 quarters against Vandy/Mizzou??

if Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mizzou, Arkansas, and Oklahoma don't field a team next year?

(Just kidding sunshine pumpers. R-e-l-a-x like Aaron Rodgers said)

Reactions: 3 people
I honestly believe we have a chance to win every game next year except for Bama. Not saying we will win 11 games but I see a LOT of tossups.

8-9 wins likely, IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
Our o line was played with a lot of discipline , they are young hard working players , they will be ready IMO

Reactions: 2 people
The Vols will win 9 games next year as long as they lose 3 games and dont tie any. You can take that to the bank. You heard it here first. Excluding bowls of course

Recent mathematical models have proven a strong correlation (100% effective) between points scored and wins. For the Vols to win 8 games, they must outscore their opponent by game's end in 75% of their regular season contests. The percentage is slightly altered with a bowl invite and a victory. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
If your offensive line improves and Dobbs can be reasonably productive, you can compete for the SECe, it seems to me.

Reactions: 11 people
After looking at Tennessee's schedule for next year and looking at the wins and the losses, it seems 8 wins is definitely possible. Just winning their games at home with the exception of Oklahoma and gaining the win back at Kentucky.

The biggest IF is the OL and the ability to return more depth and skill to a depleted OL that has vastly underperformed with the exception of a few games.

Or would it be IF the Vols duplicated AJ's leadership role and playmaking ability to JRM or Maggitt and be able to make those plays and TFL he did so well.

Or would it be IF Dobbs can develop this spring and fall practices working with the 1st team only and be the man we saw in the 10 quarters against Bama/USCe/Kentucky or is he going to be the player we saw in 8 quarters against Vandy/Mizzou??

The issues we had this season with the OL will be addressed but a new issue may appear such as the db's. Every year there are new issues. Kicking game, Special Teams, R.B., receivers, DL, LB, etc. etc.

I expect us to win all of the games that we will be favored to win AND to sneak out a win either against Arkansas or Missouri.

Since bUTch has been here, we manage to sneak out a win somewhere. 2013 & 2014 against USC. We also knock on the door on some teams like UGA 2013 & 2014 and Florida 2014.

Eventually, we will be able to win the close games and not just lose them by less than a T.D.

It begins and ends with Dobbs. Great QB play can mask a lot, as we've seen.

If Dobbs develops into an adequate passer, his ability to run will open up WRs and running lanes for Hurd.

Be interesting to see what Phil Steel predicts. On a preseason radio show, he had us in a bowl but barely.

He said we were stockpiling depth and that Jones had signed a lot of "difference makers" but with our schedule and a brand new line it would be a tough season. He said we'd prob squeak into a bowl. It was a pretty spot on analysis.

He was very upbeat about 2015. I'll be interested to see if he still has a similar outlook.

If your offensive line improves and Dobbs can be reasonably productive, you can compete for the SECe, it seems to me.

Fair enough. I still don't know if our 2-10 OL can improve to at least a 5-10 though.

Fair enough. I still don't know if our 2-10 OL can improve to at least a 5-10 though.

I don't see why not. Adding the new class, only losing Gilliam and Pair (when the former was hurt most of the year), everybody else getting a year older and stronger, adding Blair to the mix, and getting Big Charles back and healthy should be enough to make them at least close to a decent O-line.

Remember, the biggest problem was probably not even talent or inexperience, but playing out of position. Health + extra depth should go a long way with that.

With what we've got coming back if we don't win 8 or 9 then it's a disappointing season.

Ok is going down next year!
If you break down this years game they had two big plays that were 14 point turn arounds! Our D shut them down in the second half!

The Vols will win 9 games next year as long as they lose 3 games and dont tie any. You can take that to the bank. You heard it here first. Excluding bowls of course
What if they finish 8-4, and then win the 9th in the SEC Ch. game, and wind up 9-4?

VN Store

Back