What Other Message Boards Are Saying: Iowa Hawkeyes GATOR BOWL Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
I'm not really sure what to do. This is one more Other Message Boards thread than I'm used to doing. It turns out there's such thing as a "post-season" and now there's randomly an extra team on the schedule. I'm very confused and I don't know what to do with my hands right now.

Anyways, Iowa fans actually have several different message boards, mostly accessible and with fairly decent layouts. It really wasn't too difficult to find some decent Tennessee chatter.

It's a sad thing, however, to read their boards. If you want to see what we looked like in the last year of the Dooley Era, look no further than Iowa Message boards. I wondered why they are THAT upset about a 7-5 season, but as I've read further I'm seeing that before the season started they were fairly convinced they had a legitimate shot at winning their division, maybe even the B1G this year. Apparently they had the easiest road this year they may have in a while, and 7-5 fell well below their expectations. Now they are in "boycott this program under this coaching staff" mode.

Anyways, here's what the Hawkeye faithful are saying about our January matchup in the God-awful craphole state known as Florida:

-They have very little confidence in their team's ability to win this game. For every prediction I saw that had them winning a close one, I saw 10 others that had us winning by 10+.

-Generally when they talk about how they will lose to UT, it always involves some form of bashing of their head coach.

-I guess they've blown a lot of second half leads, multiple posters go out of their way to post a score prediction where they are winning at halftime and end up losing the game.

-They made a thread saying Tennessee posters think Iowa fans have unrealistic expectations and are too critical. I'm not sure where he got the post from but the thread ended up being a good venting session for their fans:

Here's a realistic Iowa fans expectations:
Don't lose to an inferior team.
Don't let off the gas when up big.
Manage the damn time clock correctly.
Play your best players.
Field a decent special team.
It is not unrealistic to expect this program to beat Iowa State most years, challenge for Big Ten titles consistently, and never lose to directional schools AT KINNICK.
I believe an expectation of the program has to be hold your home field... make it an advantage to play at Kinnick. Crap, we lose there as often as we win the past few years.

-They are generally upset and feel disrespected over the opening line, though a few posters did step in and point out the difference in conference strength between SEC and B1G.

-They have a good deal of respect for Dobbs. Pretty much every analysis of our team mentions how good he is and how bad they will struggle with him.

-They have the same gripe about their HC as we do about Butch when it comes to sitting on leads and going ultra-conservative once they pull ahead, regardless of how long is left in the game.

-It's surprising how much respect I keep seeing us getting for being "a .500 SEC team." They talk about it like it's no easy task.

-They believe their biggest strength to be their run defense.

-I've seen a few posts where their fans were looking at our stats, and said things along the lines of "It looks like if Tennessee had started Dobbs all along they could be 8-4 right now." Let's just hope they don't come to Volnation and open that can of worms....

-The fact that we haven't bowled in forever, and therefore will be amped up for this one worries them. They simply believe UT and their fans will show up with a lot more energy than they will.

-They believe we will travel extremely well.

-General score predictions have Tennessee by 10-14, with a low scoring game.

-I couldn't help but laugh at this:
Big 10 spreads in this years bowl games:

Illinois +5.5 (dog to LaTech)
Rutgers +3 (dog to NC)
Penn State +2.5 (dog to BC)
Nebraska +6 (dog to USC)
Maryland +14 (dog to Stanford)
Wisconsic +6 (dog to Auburn)
MSU +3 (dog to Baylor)
Minny +6 (dog to MZ)
tOSU +10 (dog to AL)
Iowa +3.5 (dog to Tenn)

-I have seen a handful of posters saying they aren't going to the game as a means of boycotting the coach, encouraging others to do the same. I guess they are at that point with their coaching staff now... always a sad thing to see.

In short, I like Iowa fans. They seem pretty objective about football in general. They know the B1G is weak, they know the SEC is strong. They generally aren't trash-talking UT or it's fans. Definitely one of the better fan bases I've dealt with.

A win in January would be monumental for this program, and a fantastic way to start 2015.

GBO!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 83 people
Good stuff!! It's nice to be feared in an upcoming game for a change! I spoke to a guy at the gym that was wearing an Iowa hat, and he had zero faith in the Hawkeyes winning.

I got depressed reading this and remembering the past 5 years...

Lets all hug the Iowa fans in Florida

Reactions: 9 people
I for one appreciate the matchup. This is one we needed and our team will still need to imorove from that Vandy outing to achieve the win.

Reactions: 2 people
I agree too that their fans were both depressing and reasonable. They were comical as well.

Iowa started out 6-1 and lost 4 of final 5. Sounds more like Kentucky! They lost some close ones but didn't beat anyone outstanding. They did beat Pittsburgh & Illinois who are in a bowl.
Hawkeyes Schedule

DateOpposing TeamTime or Final ScoreSat 8/30
nnt.png
Northern IowaW 31 - 23Sat 9/6
bba.png
Ball St.W 17 - 13Sat 9/13
iih.png
Iowa St.L 17 - 20Sat 9/20
ppd.png
@ PittsburghW 24 - 20Sat 9/27
ppj.png
@ PurdueW 24 - 10Sat 10/11
iie.png
IndianaW 45 - 29Sat 10/18
mmd.png
@ MarylandL 31 - 38Sat 11/1
nnv.png
NorthwesternW 48 - 7Sat 11/8
mmn.png
@ MinnesotaL 14 - 51Sat 11/15
illinois_fighting_illini-2014.png
@ IllinoisW 30 - 14Sat 11/22
wwo.png
(16) WisconsinL 24 - 26Fri 11/28
nnd.png
NebraskaL 34 - 37

Last edited:
I have always respected Iowa ever since I played with them. (RTG NCAA 13') I won 4 Heismans haha anyway off topic, but Even after that I started watching them and they impress me. I think it will be a good match up but TN wins big IMO 34-17.

Iowa cant beat us if we bring our A game, we are heading toward the top and they are heading down, simple we win no problem 37-17, they need to go back home and eat more corn before they FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF with us, WE ARE TENNESSEE and they are corn field city, they should feel lucky playing a program as elite as TENNESSEE, with the history and tradition.:rock: Tennessee will show January 2 that we are on a mission and they just happen to be the one that's the first of many to fall in defeat to us in 2015, that's just the way it is, the truth hurts sometimes, and if there fans cant take the lose in stride, don't make the trip or watch the game, don't :cray: about it when someone tells you whats fixing to happen before it does, Iowa is a what a vandy or Kentucky if they were playing in the SEC, this is the SEC not the little 10.:eek:hmy:

Last edited:
i just hope we dont get over confident n not prepare.. i think they are overrating our off.. dobbs has issues under pressure n off line is a joke against a decent dl. if i was coaching i would send the house on our ol n dobbs n shake them up. once that happens we struggle the rest of the game...

if we get a win i predict by signing day 10 threads on how we are going to win the east..lol jk

win will be huge for this staff..another chance to beat a decent team n show progress..

I'm late but thanks for these OP! I hope you keep it up, we all enjoy these.

i just hope we dont get over confident n not prepare.. i think they are overrating our off.. dobbs has issues under pressure n off line is a joke against a decent dl. if i was coaching i would send the house on our ol n dobbs n shake them up. once that happens we struggle the rest of the game...

if we get a win i predict by signing day 10 threads on how we are going to win the east..lol jk

win will be huge for this staff..another chance to beat a decent team n show progress..

I can't help but 100% agree with this. If I were looking at things from a non-biased standpoint I would say Tennessee's offense is spotty at best. It relies on big plays to be successful. Most plays only seem to go for 2 or 3 yards at most.

I could be way off, but it feels like the Tennessee offense goes:

1st Down: 2 yard gain
2nd Down: 3 yard gain
3rd Down: 2 yard gain
Punt

Next series

1st Down: 4 yard gain
2nd Down: 2 yard gain
3rd Down: 20 yard gain

Punt

Without a big gain every once in a while we're constantly behind the 8 ball, having to use all 3 downs to get a 1st down. It doesn't feel like we get a lot of 8-10 yard plays in this offense.

Anybody else feel like that or am I sailing alone here?

Reactions: 1 person
I can't help but 100% agree with this. If I were looking at things from a non-biased standpoint I would say Tennessee's offense is spotty at best. It relies on big plays to be successful. Most plays only seem to go for 2 or 3 yards at most.

Punt

Next series

Punt

Without a big gain every once in a while we're constantly behind the 8 ball, having to use all 3 downs to get a 1st down. It doesn't feel like we get a lot of 8-10 yard plays in this offense.

I will wait to see what happens when all of the pieces are here (ie. Offensive Line that isn't so offensive) before I am as worried about the offense. QB accuracy and all of our WRs healthy would also be nice. Once we are stable personnel wise, I will try to assess. If we still look as bad as now; I will start supporting your cause. It is a little hard for plays further down the field when the QB has less than 3 seconds before hitting the deck.

I will wait to see what happens when all of the pieces are here (ie. Offensive Line that isn't so offensive) before I am as worried about the offense. QB accuracy and all of our WRs healthy would also be nice. Once we are stable personnel wise, I will try to assess. If we still look as bad as now; I will start supporting your cause. It is a little hard for plays further down the field when the QB has less than 3 seconds before hitting the deck.

BINGO........We have a winner!

Punt

Next series

Punt

Against Missouri and Vandy that's exactly what it was like and Iowa's defense more closely resembles those two teams rather than South Carolina and Kentucky. I do not think we will attack the middle of the line where they are strong and we are weak and instead continue to go outside with runs and passes. I think it will be a tough grind it out low scoring game and if I was a betting man would bet the under (52.5).

Agreed. The offensive line looked like it was improving until injuries plagued it.

Iowa cant beat us if we bring our A game, we are heading toward the top and they are heading down, simple we win no problem 37-17, they need to go back home and eat more corn before they FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF with us, WE ARE TENNESSEE and they are corn field city, they should feel lucky playing a program as elite as TENNESSEE, with the history and tradition.:rock: Tennessee will show January 2 that we are on a mission and they just happen to be the one that's the first of many to fall in defeat to us in 2015, that's just the way it is, the truth hurts sometimes, and if there fans cant take the lose in stride, don't make the trip or watch the game, don't :cray: about it when someone tells you whats fixing to happen before it does, Iowa is a what a vandy or Kentucky if they were playing in the SEC, this is the SEC not the little 10.:eek:hmy:

Our history and tradition mean jack ****. This year Iowa played three teams with as many, or more, national titles than us, so I doubt being tough in the 90's is going to scare them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back