The buyout for firing Butch.

WesternKyVol

Saw another thread addressing the buyout if Butch decides to leave. On the other side, what we have to pay Butch if we fire him is much steeper. Basically we keep the 2 million dollars/ per year left on the contract that the origianl contract specified. IMO, this is ridiculously irresponsible given that the next two years will tell the tale on Butch. Say he goes 5-7 next year or say he goes 7-5 and then backs that up with a 6-6 in 2016...it could happen.

Under the contract's terms, we would owe him 10 million after next year and 8 million the year after.

The jury is still very much out on Butch, so to owe him 10 million dollars for firing him next year, and 8 the year after that, is complete and utter garbage. By then Dave Hart will be in a retirement community in parts south and the University will be on the hook. This angers me as a fan and former student.

Reactions: 14 people
Saw another thread addressing the buyout if Butch decides to leave. On the other side, what we have to pay Butch if we fire him is much steeper. Basically we keep the 2 million dollars/ per year left on the contract that the origianl contract specified. IMO, this is ridiculously irresponsible given that the next two years will tell the tale on Butch. Say he goes 5-7 next year or say he goes 7-5 and then backs that up with a 6-6 in 2016...it could happen.

Under the contract's terms, we would owe him 10 million after next year and 8 million the year after.

The jury is still very much out on Butch, so to owe him 10 million dollars for firing him next year, and 8 the year after that, is complete and utter garbage. By then Dave Hart will be in a retirement community in parts south and the University will be on the hook. This angers me as a fan and former student.

It is what fanaticism gets you.

Reactions: 2 people

You know what this tells me? We ain't firing CBJ anytime soon.

Reactions: 39 people

I don't think 7-5 followed by 6-6 gets him fired, especially depending on the circumstance.

Realistically, we go 7-5 or 8-4 next year with similar or better results the following year, so I don't think it will be an issue.

Reactions: 8 people
CBJ is a winner.. he has proven it at 2 other schools with less resources and a much harder recruiting pitch.

He just needs to be given the time, and he will do it again here.

It is not an IF question, It is a WHEN question.

Reactions: 8 people
I'm just happy having the same staff three years in a row with top 5-10 recruiting classes to go with them.

Reactions: 22 people
It is what fanaticism gets you.
If someone can find an official release of the terms of the contract that would be great. IF what the op states is true, this is just more of the same ridiculous decisions that Hamilton done that put us on the hook for CPF huge buyout that helped set us back for years. More piss poor management by the incompetent folks in charge at UT.

Reactions: 6 people
I don't think 7-5 followed by 6-6 gets him fired, especially depending on the circumstance.

Realistically, we go 7-5 or 8-4 next year with similar or better results the following year, so I don't think it will be an issue.

There are no "circumstances" with going 6-6 in year 4 at this university. Good lord people, his first class will be seniors.

Reactions: 6 people

Do you have a link? Do these numbers include the assistant coaches contacts? Muschamp was at Florida four years and they owe him $8M so I'm not surprised at the figure. Again pretty standard for the situation I would think.

Last edited:
If someone can find an official release of the terms of the contract that would be great. IF what the op states is true, this is just more of the same ridiculous decisions that Hamilton done that put us on the hook for CPF huge buyout that helped set us back for years. More piss poor management by the incompetent folks in charge at UT.

It wasn't the buyout that set us back years.. it was the idiotic decision to fire him in the first place.

If CPF was still here we would be contending for the SECCG right now instead of being happy we finally are bowl eligible again.

Reactions: 17 people

Oh please. Stressing over nothing just to stress is so stressful. CBJ keeps recruiting like he has been - we will be giving him another raise in two years.

Reactions: 7 people
Plus look at all these coaching searches around the country... if we fire Butch will we really get anyone better?? No one seems to want to leave their home...

Not to mention we have all learned how awful firing our head coach is

Reactions: 3 people
What I gathered is that it's possible that Dave Hart expects Butch to leave at some sort of time here in TN.

And if that's the case, Butch will not "flop", which would decrease his chances of getting more offers.

That's just I see that contract the way it is.

The jury is still out to you. In is already in for me. He will be here for a long time.

If you are angered so bad are you leaving.

Reactions: 3 people
CBJ is a winner.. he has proven it at 2 other schools with less resources and a much harder recruiting pitch.

He just needs to be given the time, and he will do it again here.

It is not an IF question, It is a WHEN question.

Good Post, but i mainly gave you a like so that your post/like count wold be the same! It's a Monk thing!

This years coaching search and the 5 years in the desert post Phil should have everyone's propensity to fire Butch at near 0.

Oh please. Stressing over nothing just to stress is so stressful. CBJ keeps recruiting like he has been - we will be giving him another raise in two years.

If he doesn't start winning soon, he won't be recruiting at this level in two years.

Geez people... Butch hasn't proved squat..same record as dools..lost to candy with an ol that had 4 NFL starters.. Lost to two terrible fla teams... Has beat one ranked opp n two yrs... But but but wait for it.. He gets it n he can rec..

I agree with op if butch wins 8 games n shows he can beat one of the big 3 next yr then do the big contract.. This is no better than hammy n VN calls him the worst ad ever..

Butch getting 6 wins was at best avg n expected..the teams we beat were terrible.

BTW I predicted 6 or 7 wins so I didn't have high expectations..

Reactions: 9 people

VN Store

Back