CBJ Buyout Increased

Neyland Law Vol

Under CBJ's new contract, his buyout if he leaves in the next two years is increased from 3 mil to 4 mil.

Contract extension for Tennessee Volunteers coach Butch Jones includes buyout increase - ESPN

I am glad to see it increased, but is that enough? We saw that Colorado state couldn't keep their coach even with a $7 mil buyout. Seems like Hart could have negotiated this a little better? Hart could have told Butch "you say you want to be here Butch, then what's wrong with a $10mil buyout?"... "if you don't plan to leave, what's the problem?"

Here are the details:

Under terms of the contract addendum released Wednesday, Jones would owe the university $4 million if he chose to leave before March 2016.

He'd owe $3 million if he opted to leave between March 1, 2016, and Feb. 28, 2017. He would owe $2 million if he chose to depart from March 1, 2017, to Feb. 29, 2020.

Jones' original contract called for him to pay $3 million if he chose to leave before March 2016 and $2 million if he left before March 2019.

We shouldn't need a buyout to keep a coach here.

We aren't Colorado State.

Says Mike Hamilton....

238559_4418631_ver1.0_640_480.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Those kind of buyouts are very rare. Petrino was so toxic that AD had all the leverage. Kind of surprised that McElwain had that kind of buyout and that his agent allowed him to sign it. I think we're seeing that a significant buyout still doesn't stop someone from taking your coach if he wants to bolt.

Buyout should be higher. 5,000,000 minimum. Disappointed

If its truly his dream job, 10 mil shouldnt have been a problem.

Id even go as far as saying the 10 mil only applies to leaving for another college job. Im fine if he leaves for the nfl and only has to pay us 4 mil cause that aint happening!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Buyout should be higher. 5,000,000 minimum. Disappointed

I agree. With the raise and extension we gave CBJ, you'd think he could have agreed to $5 mil buyout. It leaves the door open for him to bolt in a year or two if we have success such as winning the East.

If the coach at TENNESSEE doesn't wont to be here, then go, get the H@LL out and go FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF YOURSELF, THATS THE WAY I LOOK AT IT.:rtfm:

Reactions: 2 people
I agree. With the raise and extension we gave CBJ, you'd think he could have agreed to $5 mil buyout. It leaves the door open for him to bolt in a year or two if we have success such as winning the East.

If he wants to leave that bad, another mil wouldn't make a difference.

Reactions: 2 people

10 mil buyout for taking another college job imo

If the coach at TENNESSEE doesn't wont to be here, then go, get the H@LL out and go FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF YOURSELF, THATS THE WAY I LOOK AT IT.:rtfm:

If you get a good coach, you gotta make it hard for them to leave

If you get a good coach, you gotta make it hard for them to leave

Let's not act like Butch is Saban or anything. He has recruited well. He hasn't proven himself to be an elite coach by any stretch of the imagination.

I like the guy, but some people have gotten carried away after a 6-6 season.

Reactions: 10 people
Let's not act like Butch is Saban or anything. He has recruited well. He hasn't proven himself to be an elite coach by any stretch of the imagination.

I like the guy, but some people have gotten carried away after a 6-6 season.

You did see the bolded if didnt you?

You could've been implying that we had already, since I thought you were arguing for a larger buyout.

If the AD feels like Butch is our long term answer, he shouldve have faught for a higher buyout. Thats all im saying. I think he is the long term answer so I wanted a bigger buyout myself

Not sure where people think he is going to go, other than the NFL. He "turned down" Michigan (his home state) and unless Bama or Texas come calling with 10 million I'm not sure where he is going to go. He's at an overall Top 10 program, he pretty much has Carte Blanche....why would he go to another college? NFL, that's another story.

Under CBJ's new contract, his buyout if he leaves in the next two years is increased from 3 mil to 4 mil.

Contract extension for Tennessee Volunteers coach Butch Jones includes buyout increase - ESPN

I am glad to see it increased, but is that enough? We saw that Colorado state couldn't keep their coach even with a $7 mil buyout. Seems like Hart could have negotiated this a little better? Hart could have told Butch "you say you want to be here Butch, then what's wrong with a $10mil buyout?"... "if you don't plan to leave, what's the problem?"[/QUOTE

Louisville bumped theirs up to 10,000,000 just seems like good business to me.

The amount of the buyout doesn't matter. If a school wants your coach bad enough and he wants to go he's going anyways.

The amount of the buyout doesn't matter. If a school wants your coach bad enough and he wants to go he's going anyways.

I really like Butch but for 10 mil.........dont let the door hitcha where the good lord splitcha

But then again, who would we hire with the 10 mil?

You really only need the buyout to be around the current "standard." As long as you collect enough from the buyout of your coach to pay the buyout of the coach you steal from somewhere else, you are fine. If you pocket a little, that's good. We'd be ahead for once.

That's why $800K was a joke. You could be $3-$4 million upside down with that deal.

Come on Terry.. don't sugarcoat it, let us know how you really feel .... btw I agree.:thumbsup:

VN Store

Back