I Was Wrong (long...)

keckjm

In 2011, AD Dave Hart was hired. Since this time, I have partaken in the public maligning of Dave Hart, and I was wrong about him.

In December of 2012, Hart made the anomalous, querulous, yet unerring move to sign Butch Jones. At the time, I'd say 70% of VolNation had to google his name, I know I did. I was pretty piss*d to say the least. Kiffin, Dooley, and now Butch Jones??? Well, I guess this is why I'm not a AD of UT...

Now, 2.5 years in, Hart looks like a man with a brilliant plan, and he has set us up for success for many years to come.

By giving Butch a raise, while also increasing the money pool for his assistant coaches, Butch will now have the ability to keep all his main assistant coaches here long term. This in turn, will bring the much needed consistency this football program has starved for since 2007. This also proclaims the message we all needed to hear, which is,"I, Dave Hart, back Butch Jones at all cost." :good!:

But, Butch Jones isn't the only story of success since Dave Hart began his tenure here. Dave Hart, being the true life "Nathan Cannon" that he is, a true "man of the people" if you will, followed through on the "want" from the majority of the "people" and fired Coach Zo, even after the media portrayed it's extreme antipathy on the idea of him being fired. This aberrant firing, coming off a sweet 16 appearance, was for the better, including Zo himself. The media condemned us. The minority casted their aspersions on Dave Hart, but to no avail. Dave Hart was assiduous with his set plan of action.

Now, after much planning and careful consideration, Dave Hart has once again struck gold on a coaching hire in Donnie Tyndall. Many would say Dave Hart didn't do his job, and now, due to his incompetence, we are stuck with a sitting duck of a coach due to NCAA allegations of cheating. At first I agreed with this opinion, but then I came to the understanding that Tyndall is everything we need in a basketball coach. So, I say to you Dave Hart, don't repeat history. Don't fire a great, rising coach due to allegations based upon another school. If punishments occur, fight them. If they stay, accept them with dignity knowing you backed Tyndall 110%. Pearl wasn't backed by Hamilton. Hamilton threw Pearl to the wolves, and because of that, he cost himself his own job, but not until he made the "ingenious" hires of both Dooley and Zo.

I'm here to not only advocate, but also erase all demur, that backing Tyndall no matter what is the correct position to take. We, the majority, grew tired of the didactic Zo ball. We demand for the dismissal of "moral victories." No more "brownie points" for being a virtuous person. No more straight sticks. No more rigid coaches. We have what we need right in front of us. Take the right path Mr. Hart. WE BACK TYNDALL. :finger3: the NCAA!

In close, it brings me great pleasure to say, "I'm glad you are a VFL Dave Hart". You have a tacit responsibility to do what is right for our beloved university, and so far, you have exceeded my expectations, and many others as well. You have generated new revenue streams for our entire university, and you have maneuvered us into a position for great future success, while also creating unique situations to allow for more "positive" publicity towards our university. You did a marviolus job with the 2015 Bowl appearance, and I look forward to watching our university reap the benefits from your future endeavors. You will have many hard decisions going forward, Tyndall, Lady Vols Coach, etc,. I trust that you will always have in place an elite plan for our long term success, and I know you will implement those plans at all cost.

Thank You Dave Hart :salute:
Go VOLS

Reactions: 26 people
Coach Zo wasn't fired.

Well, maybe not directly, but we made it clear he wasn't in our long term plans.

Butch gets rumored to Michigan= big raise
Zo gets rumored to Cal, etc= take a walk

That's indirect firing IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
Actually its a no brainer now. He went all in on the Jones hire knowing we needed stability for 4 to 6 years to get the program back on track. He now must keep him and his assistants happy, why not? Not saying it was a bad decision.

Thought this was about to be about Leb for a second but I mean come on.... :)

Actually its a no brainer now. He went all in on the Jones hire knowing we needed stability for 4 to 6 years to get the program back on track. He now must keep him and his assistants happy, why not? Not saying it was a bad decision.

Well, he could have told him to shove it. He did Zo. Zo left soon after. Many Zo supporters say it wasn't firing but a mutual decision, but it was indirect firing. If your boss gives everyone a raise when they accomplish a hard task, and then fails to give you one, he's simply baiting you to quit because he doesn't think you are worthy of a raise. We gave Zo a gigantic :the_finger: you.

When it comes to the hiring of Butch I can say I was thrilled. He was second on my list only behind Gary Patterson. The only knock on him I had was the style of offense he ran. I prefer a Pro Style offense.

Two years in and I couldn't be happier over the state of our program. Butch is recruiting us Elite talent. He has gotten us back to a Bowl. He represents our state with Class and Style and he has us on the brink of contending for titles once again.

Call me a Sunshine Pumper all you want, but even the most Jaded fan has to be excited about the direction we're headed.

Go Vols

Reactions: 16 people
Well, he could have told him to shove it. He did Zo. Zo left soon after. Many Zo supporters say it wasn't firing but a mutual decision, but it was indirect firing. If your boss gives everyone a raise when they accomplish a hard task, and then fails to give you one, he's simply baiting you to quit because he doesn't think you are worthy of a raise. We gave Zo a gigantic :the_finger: you.

I don't want to be considered a Zo supporter by any means, I'm glad he is gone. I was just stating that he wasn't fired.

Reactions: 4 people
Well, maybe not directly, but we made it clear he wasn't in our long term plans.

Butch gets rumored to Michigan= big raise
Zo gets rumored to Cal, etc= take a walk

That's indirect firing IMO

It's lonely at the top huh?

Personally I think Hart sucks and is totally unqualified to make these types of decisions. And though I live Butch's ability to recruit... The jury is very much still out in his actual coaching ability. In fact I believe we've seen enough to say he's just not that good of a game day manager. Hes also not that good at game planning. We've lost just about every close winable game he's coached I since he's been here.

Reactions: 5 people
I'm extremely happy with the coaches that we have, but Dave Hart lucked into both of them. Butch was the third coach offered after pretty much embarrassing the program after being turned down by Strong an Gundy. Michael White was offered the job before Tyndall.

Honestly it seems he's been very fortunate the coaches he's almost lucked into.

Reactions: 2 people
It's lonely at the top huh?

I guess so. I'll be glad to edit the post to Zo was allowed to leave if it makes everyone feel better... The firing happened whether we did it directly or indirectly.

Last edited:
Your book seemed cool. I wish I could have read it.

...maybe one day you can post the cliff notes. :good!:

I'm extremely happy with the coaches that we have, but Dave Hart lucked into both of them. Butch was the third coach offered after pretty much embarrassing the program after being turned down by Strong an Gundy. Michael White was offered the job before Tyndall.

Honestly it seems he's been very fortunate the coaches he's almost lucked into.

Saban was third choice for bama... It happens.

Reactions: 4 people
Your book seemed cool. I wish I could have read it.

...maybe one day you can post the cliff notes. :good!:

Sorry, no cliff notes...

I did however take the time to find you something more on your reading level. It's a classic I hear.

Baby_Smurf_Comic_Book_English.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I didn't attend to have this become a debate about how Zo left, if Butch sucks or not, or see how big of smart@@@@@ we all can be to each other. All that's left is Leb to come here and talk numbers with us. I was wrong, Zo wasn't fired, but he sure wasn't kept either. The Butch bashing is unbelievable. Some of you guys would run off Saban if he were here. I'm not wanting to be a dic&head to anyone. I was simply pointing out an opinion that Hart seams to know what he's doing. You don't get lucky on coaching hires over and over again. If you don't want to read it, don't. I didn't post it to get the entire approval of VolNation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
Personally I think Hart sucks and is totally unqualified to make these types of decisions. And though I live Butch's ability to recruit... The jury is very much still out in his actual coaching ability. In fact I believe we've seen enough to say he's just not that good of a game day manager. Hes also not that good at game planning. We've lost just about every close winable game he's coached I since he's been here.

We need to have the option to down-vote posts in addition to "likes".

You're awful quick to judge his "game day managing." Go back and watch this year's South Carolina game, and how we almost took down Georgia on the road when they CLEARLY had more talent than us with a healthy Gurley. Managed the games fairly well there IMO.

Way too early to judge him as a coach. We had the youngest team in the nation this year, and he still got the team bowl eligible. Next year will tell a lot with the roster a little better stocked with depth.

Reactions: 10 people

VN Store

Back