Will Bynum start if A.J. can't play against Iowa?

Unfortunately, AJ won't play so don't count on that. I don't see him coming back even if his legal troubles are resolved at this point. Time to build for the future.

Reactions: 2 people
And on your other question: I am no expert at all, but to my untrained eye, Bynum looked better when he was in there than the freshman Johnson.

I think we need to put Weatherd into the mix even if that means shifting JRM over to MLB. Weatherd is fast and a hard hitter. Being a JUCO, he has also started at LB in college.

Reactions: 13 people
Definitely time to move on. I believe CBJ wants to win this one and will put in his best players. Iowa will want to line up and pound us behind that big physical line they have. We will need to shut that down with penetration into the backfield. I am leaning to Bynum and the more seasoned and mature players for the bowl game. We have spring game and fall camp to play mix and match with new personnel. GBO!

Reactions: 1 person
Against Vandy, Bynum looked better than Jakob IMO. Jakob has more upside, but Bynum was covering his man. I am sure the coaching staff has looked at the film, but still needs advice from the all knowing posters on VN. Ahem.

I think we need to put Weatherd into the mix even if that means shifting JRM over to MLB. Weatherd is fast and a hard hitter. Being a JUCO, he has also started at LB in college.

They have used him, but not nearly enough. Why not? Mainly he spies the QB and does a delayed blitz. Whenever he is games he makes plays and that is what they need. I want him and Bynum in the game. Bynum will also mix it up. This starting JJ deal was silly and probably helped cost them the Mizzou game along with Jake's silly play calling on O. JJ's not ready. Same as using Thomas at OT. He wasn't ready. Play guys that are ready regardless of potential.

Random question, but will Maggitt play LB full time next year with the development of the young guys this year at DE? If so, will the starting 3 be Maggitt, JRM, and Bates?

Random question, but will Maggitt play LB full time next year with the development of the young guys this year at DE? If so, will the starting 3 be Maggitt, JRM, and Bates?

I don't think so. He is too good coming off the edge to make him a full time linebacker again, plus he isn't very good in coverage. I think Bates will be the starting MLB next year unless things just really click for JJ. Which when they do, he has the athleticism to be really nasty.

I don't know whether the coaches will start JJ or KB for the bowl game, but it will be a fun competition to watch throughout practice.

At Vandys we started to go to a 4-2-5 some with JRM and Weatherd at LBs and Maggitt at DE. I thought it did well on passing situations but when iowa lines up in the IForm that won't work as well and the 4-3 will be needed. I hope we use both and get a feel during the game. JJ has promise but Bynum seems more aware of what he is doing

From what I have seen I think Bynum is currently better. The great thing about the bowl game though is the extra practice. It essentially provides another fall camp for these guys. Hopefully with all the extra reps and no clear starting mlb one of these guys step up. Jakob looks to have all the measurable to be a beast so he could benifits more than anyone these next few weeks. Bynum could really step up also. So to answer your question who knows who will be starting at mlb but let's hope whoever does is much improved from what we saw at vandy

Reactions: 1 person
Forget college, his future at the next level is in question , given the more stringent personal conduct policy. AJ really F*'d up.

Forget college, his future at the next level is in question , given the more stringent personal conduct policy. AJ really F*'d up.

Wow. Thanks Volnation detective for your due diligence in this case. I'm glad you spent countless hours reviewing the evidence and proving him guilty. Thank you.

Obviously the coaches see major potential with Jacob Johnson, but at this point, he is playing like a freshman who has not had many reps. He will get better but for this game, I think Weathered or someone else is needed.

*Alledgedly

Rock it doesn't matter at this point if it is alleged. He put himself in this predicament with his actions. I would personally like to see him get out of this.... but this will be like a sticky booger... he won't be able to shake this for a long time. The pros are looking at this type of stuff even more than they ever have. He definitely made this bed and has to lay in it...:thumbsup:

Against Vandy, Bynum looked better than Jakob IMO. Jakob has more upside, but Bynum was covering his man. I am sure the coaching staff has looked at the film, but still needs advice from the all knowing posters on VN. Ahem.

STILL wondering how Johnson ended up covering vandie #81 on that long TD post route! No other VOLs in the area!:unsure:

VN Store

Back