Gator Bowl Memories

Gary10ec1

Loyal Member
1994 game held at BHG Stadium at Florida Field (what is now Everbank was under construction). Pride of the Southland Band proudly marched through UF's campus playing Rocky Top into the stadium. Got a win over Virginia Tech that day with some freshman kid named Peyton Manning at QB.

As a side note this is a good way to win a bet with any obnoxious Gator fan. It goes something like this... You-I thought Peyton won a game at Florida Field? Gator- Hell no, Peyton never beat Florida. You- No, I am pretty sure he WON a GAME there. Gator- You are nuts... You- Want to bet a Benjamin on it? Quick Google and bam easiest $100 you will ever make. Go Vols!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
1994 game held at BHG Stadium at Florida Field (what is now Everbank was under construction). Pride of the Southland Band proudly and loudly marched through UF's campus playing Rocky Top into the stadium. Got a win over Virginia Tech that day with some freshman kid named Peyton Manning as QB.

As a side note this is a good way to win a bet with any obnoxious Gator fan. It goes something like this... You-I thought Peyton won a game at Florida Field? Gator- Hell no, Peyton never beat Florida. You- No, I am pretty sure he WON a GAME there. Gator- You are nuts... You- Want to bet a Benjamin on it? Quick Google and bam easiest $100 you will ever make. Go Vols!!
I was there...game started in the fog...blimp counldn't get any shots of the swamp that night...

I forgot about the fog. Was a fun night in Gainesville. Hope to have another one in the near future!

I wasn't there, but my fondest Gator Bowl memory is Paul Naumoff meeting Larry Csonka in the air at the goal line and stopping him to preserve the Vols 18-12 victory. 1966 season I think.

Reactions: 3 people
That was my senior year. It was my girlfriend (now wife) senior year at Va Tech. Was Tech's first "Big" bowl game. Having gone to high school in VA and most of my friends attending VT, it was nice to show them what big boy football was all about!

Wisely we sat in our own student sections and everyone had a blast! Let's hope for another big win in this year's Gator Bowl.

That was some thick fog!

66 Gator bowl was my first time seeing the Vols play. Syracuse was really good with Csonka and Floyd Little. A great win.

Reactions: 1 person
Dang we got some "seasoned" Vol fans on here. Great video of the 1966 game. Thanks for sharing.

I was there. Remember the fog, and the (Blockbuster?) blimp. Three of us drove down from the SUBASE at Kings Bay, and of course we were half in the bag when we arrived (had a DD, so no lectures, please).

We parked fairly close to BHG; got out; and then tried to get our bearings so we could find the Jeep after the game. My cohort in inebriation, who had a substantial lead on me at that point, looks up and says "I got it! We parked right under the blimp!"

Go Vols.

Dang we got some "seasoned" Vol fans on here. Great video of the 1966 game. Thanks for sharing.
I remember the 1966 game well as I was in high school. But, I've got that one beat. When I was 8, my dad took the family to the 1957 Gator Bowl when Tennessee beat Bear Bryant coached Texas A&M 3-0.

Then we went on down to the Orange Bowl to see my favorite team (at the time), the Bud Wilkinson coached Oklahoma Sooners, beat Duke something like 48 to something. It wasn't close. Great memories with the family........and 2 victories for my 2 teams.

1994 game held at BHG Stadium at Florida Field (what is now Everbank was under construction). Pride of the Southland Band proudly marched through UF's campus playing Rocky Top into the stadium. Got a win over Virginia Tech that day with some freshman kid named Peyton Manning at QB.

I was there that night. Great night to be a Vol! What an enjoyable night in the sewer.

I remember the 1966 game well as I was in high school. But, I've got that one beat. When I was 8, my dad took the family to the 1957 Gator Bowl when Tennessee beat Bear Bryant coached Texas A&M 3-0.

Then we went on down to the Orange Bowl to see my favorite team (at the time), the Bud Wilkinson coached Oklahoma Sooners, beat Duke something like 48 to something. It wasn't close. Great memories with the family........and 2 victories for my 2 teams.
I meant to add to this that if you are in position to go, take your kids on a bowl trip, they will remember it for a lifetime.

66 Gator bowl was my first time seeing the Vols play. Syracuse was really good with Csonka and Floyd Little. A great win.

Same here! My first Big Orange game. Vols won 18-12. I was 10. My dad took mom and me. My older brother was and still is a godless gator fan.

We also went to 1969 Gator Bowl when Vols beat Florida 14-13 and Doug Dickey left to coach Florida after that game. Again, just three of us went.

Now, my daughter is 19 and, along with my wife, we are headed to Jacksonville.

As a side note, my daughter's boyfriend is a gator fan, but don't worry, if they get married, my daughter has already put down the law that their kids will be raised as Big Orange fans! He's also a Miami Dolphins fan so they will be Dolphins fans, as well since I don't have a favorite NFL team other than Peyton's team.

Same here! My first Big Orange game. Vols won 18-12. I was 10. My dad took mom and me. My older brother was and still is a godless gator fan.

We also went to 1969 Gator Bowl when Vols beat Florida 14-13 and Doug Dickey left to coach Florida after that game. Again, just three of us went.

Now, my daughter is 19 and, along with my wife, we are headed to Jacksonville.

As a side note, my daughter's boyfriend is a gator fan, but don't worry, if they get married, my daughter has already put down the law that their kids will be raised as Big Orange fans! He's also a Miami Dolphins fan so they will be Dolphins fans, as well since I don't have a favorite NFL team other than Peyton's team.

Dad of the year right there

The 1969 Gator Bowl. The lying POS doug dickey coached to lose after secretly signing to coach the Gators. As an encore, he helped plunge the knife into Johnny's back.

Hope CBJ has the Vols ready. My girls first UT game so I am hoping for an awesome memory for them (Sec104 Row U). GBO!

I was there too. My son was 2 and daughter was 1. I still remember how utterly obnoxious the tech fans were. One young, drunk Va Tech fan pointed at my daughter who was riding on my shoulders in vol overalls and said, " look..a flaming brat....what a horrible color". To which I replied, "this coming from a fan of a team with the same color orange combined with Barney dookie purple/brown and called a Hokie". That was a very satisfying beat down!

I meant to add to this that if you are in position to go, take your kids on a bowl trip, they will remember it for a lifetime.

Agreed. My dad being Ark. Alum took me to the 89 Cotton Bowl. Arkansas vs Troy Aikmans UCLA

VN Store

Back