From What I Have Read On Various Boards

Cletus P Fulmer

WVA fans considered it an honor to play a storied program such as ours and is bitterly disappointed we aren't playing them. Iowa considers it a slap in the face and are poor mouthing their program. We have our usual "hat in hand" fans going over and kissing tail with Iowa fans basically saying, "Thanks but we are too good for you" Really don't care about playing these people and would have loved being in a bowl in this state that desperately wanted us against a team that respects us...

Reactions: 9 people
I wanted the Liberty Bowl because it is just down the road and it would have not only been good for us West TN Vols but the entire state.

That being said you never pass up a New Years bowl in Florida. We also get a very beatable opponent. I just wish I could be there.

Reactions: 17 people
I would have preferred us and LSU switched. We play ND in the Music City Bowl and LSU Iowa play in FL. Although I much prefer this over the Liberty Bowl so as a whole I'm considering it a wash. I'm just stoked to be going bowling and would be in attendance regardless of where we went.

Only thing I can say is I hope both teams get healthy, both execute as good as possible, and let the best team win. Our ceiling is higher in my opinion because of this freshman class. Should be exciting. No more having to imagine watching a UT bowl game as sad as that sounds.

Reactions: 2 people
Birmingham $1.1M for SEC Florida
Independence $1.2M South Carolina
Liberty $1.4375M Texas A&M
Belk $1.75M UGA
Music City $2.75M LSU
Taxslayer $2.75M Tennessee
Peach $2.9325M Ole Miss
Texas $3M Arkansas
Outback $3.5M Auburn
Citrus $4.250M Mizzou
Sugar $18M Alabama
Orange $18M Miss State

I'm sure money isn't the only way to rank these...but FYI

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 people
Seriously, I think some of our fans think that because Taxslayer is in January that it equates it with the Rose and Sugar...

What part of double the payout of the Liberty bowl do you not understand? It is clearly a better bowl than Belk, MC, or Liberty. We were selected because of our fan base.

Reactions: 18 people
What part of double the payout of the Liberty bowl do you not understand? It is clearly a better bowl than Belk, MC, or Liberty. We were selected because of our fan base.

mathIsHard.jpg

Reactions: 19 people
I would have preferred us and LSU switched. We play ND in the Music City Bowl and LSU Iowa play in FL. Although I much prefer this over the Liberty Bowl so as a whole I'm considering it a wash. I'm just stoked to be going bowling and would be in attendance regardless of where we went.

May be wrong but I think LSU played and defeated Iowa in the 2014 Outback Bowl.

I'm not talking about the payout. I was referring to posters repeating posting that they are just happy to be playing in January, as if that alone makes it a more prestigious bowl.

Reactions: 1 person

Isn't the money thrown in a pot and divied out in equal portions...like tip money at O'Charley's. Agree with you on the fan thing...from what I have read Iowa people aint coming.

Reactions: 2 people
No it isn't the traditional prestigious New Year's Day bowl that used to be a huge deal, but the Gator Bowl is way more prestigious than Liberty. No real debate there.

Reactions: 9 people
To go from "no bowl" to "Taxslayer Bowl" is a big step up. Now we need to step up! I believe Iowa and Tennessee are pretty evenly matched and depends on who shows up and wants it the most, plays harder, better focused, etc. Should be a great game. Hope CBJ leads us to a bigger and better bowl each year!

Reactions: 3 people
Birmingham $1.1M for SEC Florida
Independence $1.2M South Carolina
Liberty $1.4375M Texas A&M
Belk $1.75M UGA
Music City $2.75M LSU
Taxslayer $2.75M Tennessee
Peach $2.9325M Ole Miss
Texas $3M Arkansas
Outback $3.5M Auburn
Citrus $4.250M Mizzou
Sugar $18M Alabama
Orange $18M Miss State

I'm sure money isn't the only way to rank these...but FYI
For 18 million Miss. State should be able to buy most of Arkansas.

Reactions: 6 people
Just want a beatable team. Don't care if they don't respect us. We will make them respect us when we play them. I have nothing against people from Iowa either.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back