Yahoo ranks the bowl games from 1-38

IMB

18. TaxSlayer Bowl (Jan. 2, Jacksonville, Fla.):
Iowa vs. Tennessee

Anyone who had Tennessee, which sported the youngest roster heading into the season, going to a bowl, raise your hand. OK, you’re all liars. No one saw this coming and this is definitely a cherry on top of the Vols' season. Iowa had an opportunity to crash the Big Ten title party, but lost three of its final four games, including a heartbreaking loss to Nebraska in overtime to end the season. Both teams can put points on the board, so there’s a strong chance this could be one of the higher scoring games of the bowl season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...ding-the-national-championship-233337590.html

Reactions: 3 people
I like the match-up with Iowa better than I liked the match-up with WVU. I think WVU was pretty darn good this year. I think Iowa is a solid team that UT will have an opportunity to beat if we play well. 7-6 would be so great.

Reactions: 3 people
6-6 and we're playing in a January bowl. Dave Hart definitely earned his salary with this one.

Not to mention, this should be further evidence to recruits that playing at UT actually means something. I.E., the brand has value and outside observers know it. Last year, Vandy wins 8 games in their best season in the modern era. Where did they go? Birmingham. UT guts out 6 wins and is working to get back to our winning ways. Where are we going? The motha-******* Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, FL.

Reactions: 10 people
Man I can't wait til they fire him. Right?

I wasn't a huge fan of Hart when they brought him in but I was wrong. He has done one hell of a job as AD so far. We were in such terrible shape financially and as far as the divide between the athletics and academics side. It seems like everything is turning around finally.

Reactions: 1 person
6-6 and we're playing in a January bowl. Dave Hart definitely earned his salary with this one.

Not to mention, this should be further evidence to recruits that playing at UT actually means something. I.E., the brand has value and outside observers know it. Last year, Vandy wins 8 games in their best season in the modern era. Where did they go? Birmingham. UT guts out 6 wins and is working to get back to our winning ways. Where are we going? The motha-******* Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, FL.
UGA is playing in the Belk Bowl at 9-3. I always considered the Gator Bowl more prestigious than the Liberty, Music City, or Belk Bowl, has that changed?

UGA is playing in the Belk Bowl at 9-3. I always considered the Gator Bowl more prestigious than the Liberty, Music City, or Belk Bowl, has that changed?

Historically, yes. But, things have changed so much I don't know what's better than what anymore.

Generally speaking, I look at pay out from the bowl.

I'd be surprised if the Belk Bowl paid out more than the Gator Bowl.

I wasn't a huge fan of Hart when they brought him in but I was wrong. He has done one hell of a job as AD so far. We were in such terrible shape financially and as far as the divide between the athletics and academics side. It seems like everything is turning around finally.

I got to speak with him for several hours when he was still with the red team and I was jacked about the hire. He knows what he's doing. The only thing I was worried about was loyalty but i think he has proved that he will fight for the Vols

I think the article is ranking in terms of match ups not in terms of best bowl to be in.

Last edited:
Don't understand #10 and #15 being rately more highly than ours... Other than that it looks about right.

Getting to the Gator Bowl with a 6-6 team is a big jump. Congratulations to Hart and the UT brand and fan base.

Happy to have the Vols going to a January bowl game. I didn't think it would happen.

HERE IS A BREAKDOWN OF THE BOWL PAYOUT: Statistic Verification
NCAA College Football
Research Date: 12.1.2014

BCS National Championship Game $18,000,000
Fiesta Bowl $17,000,000
Sugar Bowl $17,000,000
Orange Bowl $17,000,000
Rose Bowl $17,000,000
Capital One Bowl $4,550,000
Chick-fil-A Bowl $3,970,000 (SEC) $2,930,000 (ACC)
Cotton Bowl $3,375,000
Gator Bowl $3,500,000
Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl $3,350,000
Alamo Bowl $3,175,000
Outback Bowl $2,500,000
Russell Athletic Bowl $2,275,000
Holiday Bowl $2,075,000
Sun Bowl $2,000,000
Music City Bowl $1,837,000
Pinstripe Bowl $1,800,000
Belk Bowl $1,700,000
Texas Bowl $1,700,000
Liberty Bowl $1,437,500
Independence Bowl $1,150,000
Las Vegas Bowl $1,100,000
Heart of Dallas Bowl $1,100,000
Military Bowl $1,000,000
Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl $925,000
BBVA Compass Bowl $1,000,000 (ACC) $900,000 (SEC)
GoDaddy.com Bowl $750,000
Little Caesars Pizza Bowl $750,000
Hawaii Bowl $650,000
Armed Forces Bowl $600,000
Beef ‘O’ Brady’s $537,500
Poinsettia $500,000
New Orleans $500,000
New Mexico $456,250
Famous Idaho Potato Bowl $325,000

Last edited:
Historically, yes. But, things have changed so much I don't know what's better than what anymore.

Generally speaking, I look at pay out from the bowl.

I'd be surprised if the Belk Bowl paid out more than the Gator Bowl.

Gator bowl pays out a whopping 2.75 Million while the Bell Bowl pays out something along the lines of 1.7 million. We got the best bowl we possibly could get from a financial standpoint. Plus I think we should be able to beat Iowa by two scores if we play well.

I live in Charlotte, the Belk bowl has made huge moves at getting better competition into the game. In my opinion the bowl is only as good as the match ups historically. Liberty has some prestige in that sense, Charlotte wants to be known like that, that's why the city pushed for the ACC title game (that and the unofficial rivalry we have with Atlanta), they also want the Belk bowl to be a marquee match up every year.

VN Store

Back