Guide to Jacksonville, FL

RikidyBones

Formerly utvols88
Ok rednecks, here is a short poor mans guide to Jacksonville, FL for the bowl game.

Downtown - Downtown has a good section believe it or not. My recommendations are as follows:

Hotels:

1. The Hyatt - I actually had my wedding reception here. The Hyatt is massive. The rooms are nice and usually not too crazy of a price. During FL/GA though, it can get up there in price. It is on the water and in walking distance to the Jacksonville Landing which has several restaurants and I'm sure some entertainment.

2. Crowne Plaza - This is usually the more expensive hotel of the three but it is easier to get in and out of. It is also located next to the more upscale restaurants.

3. The Omni - never been. Usually the Georgia Bulldogs stay there for FL/GA so it cant be bad. Can it?

Restaurants: Downtown has places ranging from your steakhouses to hole in the wall burrito joints. RR means make a reservation.

1. Burrito Gallery - Burrito Gallery - 21 East Adams Street - Downtown Jacksonville - This place is cheap but has some awesome queso and steak tacos.

2. Ruth Chris - I think we all know what this place is. It located in the Crowne Plaza hotel. RR

3. Chart House - Chart House Seafood Restaurant On the water and can see fireworks from it during new years. It is also a pretty nifty set up. RR

4. Wine Cellar - Wine Cellar Fine Dining in Downtown Jacksonville Wine people love it. RR

5. Jacksonville Landing - Jacksonville Landing - They have a few restaurants in there as well as some entertainment on the outside. Not sure if they have anything during the Gator bowl but I dont see why not.

6. Riverside - This is more an area of Jacksonville on the other side of the river. It has a good amount of breweries and micros. I have listed some of the options below:
Intuition Ale Works - Jacksonville Brewery and Taproom
Bold City Brewery | Jacksonville, FL

Atlantic Beach

Hotels:

1. One Ocean Resort - https://www.oneoceanresort.com/ - They recently fancied this one up. Its off of the beach and has alot of decent bars around the area.
2. Seahorse Inn - Jacksonville Oceanfront Hotel - The Seahorse Oceanfront Inn - Home - This is more of a motel type but it has a local bar called the Lemon Bar connected to it.

Restaurants/Bars -

1. Poe's Tavern - Poe's Tavern - Sullivan's Island, Charleston, SC | Atlantic Beach, Jacksonville, FL - Its a neat joint that is themed around Edgar Alan Poe. Its a good restaurant near the beach area.
2. MShack - Welcome to M Shack * |* Burgers, Shakes & More * |* Atlantic Beach, Florida * |* 904.241.2599 - Burger joint that is low key but has some great burgers like the CrossFit burger

Beach blvd (More south than Atlantic Beach) - this area has alot of bars and New Years will be interesting. I usually dont stay down by the beach but there are a couple of hotels I have been to and heard of.

Hotels:

1. Court Yard and Hampton Inn - Courtyard Jacksonville Beach Oceanfront, Florida Hotels - I linked the court yard one but they are next to each other and very similar. Off the beach and near the bars
2. Casa Marina - Jacksonville Beach Hotel Ocean Front Jax Beach Bar Penthouse Lounge - If you like an interesting place, this is it. It has a bar on the top floor that the locals go to. It can get loud but all in all, its a great time. Not a family hotel.

Restaurants/Bars:

1. Zeta - Zeta - Another brewing company located near the beach. Open bar scene and laid back.
2. Beach Blvd bars - there are many of them so I will just list the ones you should visit. Brix, Ritz, Lynches (irish pub) and Pier.

SN: DO NOT go to Mango's and Bo's ( itll change your life though let me know if you go afterwards.)

3. The Green Room - Green Room Brewing - Another brewery
4. Sneakers - Sneakers Sports Grille - Projections screens and beer with bar food. Normal sports bar. Kind pricey IMO.
5. TacoLu - TacoLu - Not beachside but off of Beach Blvd. Awesome taco joint. Long waits but WELL worth it.

Southside:

Hotels:

1. Aloft - Jacksonville Hotel | Aloft Jacksonville Tapestry Park - An interesting Green technology hotel. It has an cool bar downstairs. Also next to a starbucks, Your Pie and a NY deli. All walking distance.

2. Hampton/Mariott/etc. All in this area.

Restaurants/Bars - TC means these places are in the Town Center and can be seen in the following link:
St Johns Town Center

1. World of Beer - Southside - World of Beer | The Finest Craft Beer Experience - Neat little bar with a ton of different beers from all over.
2. Alehouse - Sports bar with cheap beer and great food. There are several in Jax.
3. The usual TGIFridays, Applebees, Hooters, etc.
4. Magianno's - FANTASTIC italian. Not bad in price either. TC
5. Pf Changs, Cheesecake factory, Teds Montana Grill, California Pizza Kitchen TC
6. Blackfin - Up-ish-scale American. TC
7. J Alexanders - Upscale American. TC
8. Capital Grille - Upscale American. TC
9. Mitchells Fish Market - Upscale Fish. TC

If there is anything else, I will add it. I can add some entertainment stuff tomorrow but there isnt much else than a zoo, the beach, museums of some sort and you can always take a 45 minute drive to St. Augustine where you can buy fake Oakley's and Medieval weapons.

Parking: Usually you can find 20$ parking along Talleyrand near Beaver St. or Albert St. or E Bay Street.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26 people
I'm not going, but you are the man for putting the time into making this! Volnation is unlike any other fanbase!

Reactions: 2 people
The Landing should be pretty hopping. Probably not like Cocktail Party weekend but it'll still be worth going.

There's alot in Jacksonville as far as food goes so there are definitely places that I missed. So if any of you Jax folk notice a good local spot missing, let me know and I will add it.

Angies Subs off of Beach blvd is one if you are staying near the beach. The Jack Del Rio (I know, its fantastic) is my sub of choice. Try the Peruvian sauce too.

Reactions: 2 people
UNF student checking in. Highly recommend staying on the south side/beachside. Don't venture out west or up north of downtown. Good stuff right here

There's alot in Jacksonville as far as food goes so there are definitely places that I missed. So if any of you Jax folk notice a good local spot missing, let me know and I will add it.

Angies Subs off of Beach blvd is one if you are staying near the beach. The Jack Del Rio (I know, its fantastic) is my sub of choice. Try the Peruvian sauce too.

Always a fan of larrys subs as well! Peruvian drenched on everything

UNF student checking in. Highly recommend staying on the south side/beachside. Don't venture out west or up north of downtown. Good stuff right here

If you wanna stay out of town can't go wrong at Amelia Island. Fernandina area is one of the last remaining undiscovered jewels of FL.

Reactions: 4 people
If you wanna stay out of town can't go wrong at Amelia Island. Fernandina area is one of the last remaining undiscovered jewels of FL.

I love Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach. It is a beautiful area with a lot of history. There are several good restaurants there.

Kickbacks is a great gastropub with an incredible selection of beer. Also- +1 on TacoLu, probably my favorite place to eat in jax

Thanks...since this is the second closest game we will play to me all year I think I'm gonna scramble and make this trip happen!

Pumped!

I love Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach. It is a beautiful area with a lot of history. There are several good restaurants there.

My best friend's mom is from the area and I used to go up there with them as a kid and visit her side of the family. Went about 15 yrs before getting back a few years ago and it was just as quaint as it was when I was a kid.

St Johns town center is great. I recommend stopping by. If you're really feeling adventurous check out Cumberland Island. Beautiful place with tons of history. You'll need to take a ferry in St. Marys GA, which is where I'm originally from :) it's right off of i95 before you get into FL.

Last edited:
Here's what you need to know about Jacksonville, if you've had anything to drink, dont get caught out after 9:00PM, you will go to jail. Take a cab.

Also suggest going to Fernandina Beach. If you do, go to TASTYS BURGERS! It's legit.

TacoLu is awesome. Hawkers is nearish downtown and is awesome Asian food. There is pretty much nothing near the stadium. If you get tickets try to have access to the second level because they have a bar.

St Johns town center is great. I recommend stopping by. If you're really feeling adventurous check out Cumberland Island. Beautiful place with tons of history. You'll need to take a ferry in St. Marys GA, which is where I'm originally from :) it's right off of i95 before you get into FL.

I've been backpacking and staying on Cumberland island since the mid 80's. It's a great place with a lot of history. Back then we would stay at crooked river st. Park the night before we were to start our Cumberland island expedition.

Jax isnt even that bad imo. Until they have a law and order show based here, ill keep that opinion.

Jax has been on Cops more than any other city lol. Jax beach is fine, it's when you get into western Jacksonville where you start to see some rough crap.

I will add one great place to eat.... If it's still there, buckets on Jax Beach. Some of the best seafood in Jacksonville IMO.

Towncenter is the gateway to hell. People are crazy about their shopping

awesome queso and steak tacos.

I read nothing else after I saw that.

go-to-there.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Also, its a MUST to have a drink at Lynch's Irish Pub and if you go a day or two early or stay a day or two late, I would suggest Sneaker's as far as watching other games.

VN Store

Back