Vols greatest at NFL positions

Big Orange #1

In Huep we trust!!
I was talking with a fellow die hard vol fan last night and we started talking about an interesting subject. We started talking about the greatest players at their positions in the NFL. We were going down naming all the ones we could debate on who is the best. I don't know if any other vol fans have thought about this topic but we came to the conclusion (with a little orange tinted glasses on) that UT has possibly 3 of the greatest to play their position.

Reggie White - DE - I think we all could agree that he is the greatest DE ever.

Peyton Manning - QB - I know he is still playing but in my opinion when he finally retires he will be the greatest to play the QB position.

Jason Witten - TE - Also still playing so his stats will only get better but he could possibly end up the greatest at his position.

I know that the last 2 will prob get argued but still what other school can say that they have 3 of the greatest players to play their position.

Just thought that this was pretty cool and wanted to see what other VFL's thought about this!

GBO!

White is the greatest DE ever. Doubt Manning will ever surpass Montana, and it's questionable as to whether he's even the best QB playing today over Brady and Rodgers. Witten is great as well, but highly doubt he surpasses Gonzalez in most eyes.

I was talking with a fellow die hard vol fan last night and we started talking about an interesting subject. We started talking about the greatest players at their positions in the NFL. We were going down naming all the ones we could debate on who is the best. I don't know if any other vol fans have thought about this topic but we came to the conclusion (with a little orange tinted glasses on) that UT has possibly 3 of the greatest to play their position.

Peyton Manning - QB - I know he is still playing but in my opinion when he finally retires he will be the greatest to play the QB position.

Jason Witten - TE - Also still playing so his stats will only get better but he could possibly end up the greatest at his position.

I know that the last 2 will prob get argued but still what other school can say that they have 3 of the greatest players to play their position.

Just thought that this was pretty cool and wanted to see what other VFL's thought about this!

GBO!

Love Witten, but he didn't do much for my fantasy team this year...

Reactions: 3 people

GBO!
This is funny, I started a thread like this exact one several months back. Even used the same names. It was a pretty good discussion. A lot of younger fans don't realize how many great players in the NFL came from UT. We also use to be known as WR university, and still are respectable, but just haven't heard a lot of analysts say it in awhile.

Reggie White has to the greatest ever at DE. Manning probably will end up the greatest QB ever. That alone is incredible for one school.

White is the greatest DE ever. Doubt Manning will ever surpass Montana, and it's questionable as to whether he's even the best QB playing today over Brady and Rodgers. Witten is great as well, but highly doubt he surpasses Gonzalez in most eyes.

Depends on what stats you want to use in your analysis involving Peyton. He will hold every major qb category about halfway thru next season. I know that he needs to win a couple more superbowls, but maybe he can do what Elway did and close out career with a couple.

Depends on what stats you want to use in your analysis involving Peyton. He will hold every major qb category about halfway thru next season. I know that he needs to win a couple more superbowls, but maybe he can do what Elway did and close out career with a couple.

I don't personally look at rings. I look at performance. Rings are a team stat.

Speaking of Elway, he is one of the most overrated QBs to ever play the game, IMO. Obviously still a very good one/great one, but he's not in the class of Peyton/Brady/Montana/Young/Rodgers type of guys.

Reactions: 2 people
Interesting thread. 'Best' is fairly subjective, but the the key aspect is that UT has several player in multiple positions that must be considered and have legitimated claim to be 'best', with reasonable definitions.

I don't personally look at rings. I look at performance. Rings are a team stat.

Speaking of Elway, he is one of the most overrated QBs to ever play the game, IMO. Obviously still a very good one/great one, but he's not in the class of Peyton/Brady/Montana/Young/Rodgers type of guys.

Boy, those two statements contradict each other. Elway in the 80s was pretty much all they had and he still brought Denver to four superbowls. People that weren't Denver fans couldn't name one star on those teams other than Elway. For that reason, Elway had more 4th qtr comebacks in history. Might still be in the lead unless Manning has broke that too. Unfortunately, the BillWalsh lead niners, Jimmie Johnson lead Cowboys, and Gibbs lead Redskins were dynasties in those days and waiting for the weaker afc. Elway will always be in the top handful of qb's in history, IMO. When Elway got a great wr, oline, and Terrell Davis they won two SBs in a row.
Not too shabby for an over rated qb.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Yall are forgetting about one of the better lineman that come from my old high school. Chad Clifton. He might not be in the best ever, category, but he was the highest paid olineman in the league for a few years. Played blindside for Favre.

Boy, those two statements contradict each other. Elway in the 80s was pretty much all they had and he still brought Denver to four superbowls. People that weren't Denver fans couldn't name one star on those teams other than Elway. For that reason, Elway had more 4th qtr comebacks in history. Might still be in the lead unless Manning has broke that too. Unfortunately, the BillWalsh lead niners, Jimmie Johnson lead Cowboys, and Gibbs lead Redskins were dynasties in those days and waiting for the weaker afc. Elway will always be in the top handful of qb's in history, IMO. When Elway got a great wr, oline, and Terrell Davis they won two SBs in a row.
Not too shabby for an over rated qb.

Elway was clutch, but his performance outside of clutch moments left a lot to be desired. And as for your 4QC stat, Elway is third all time behind Peyton and Marino. The biggest difference between Peyton/Marino and Elway is Elway was often times the reason his team had to have a GWD or 4QC, because of how prone he was to throwing picks/turning it over.

And I'm not sure how it requiring a great o-line, WR and RB to win rings necessarily helps his argument.

Manning has already surpassed Montana and everyone else even before he came to Broncos. You have to be blind (or 49ers fan) to not see this. Montana had a much better team with greatest WR to ever play the game, and he happened to have some of his best games in the playoffs. It happens - but that does not override the unreal consistency (and stats) Peyton displayed over the very long period in Indy where he single handedly turned them into actual football city.

Reactions: 2 people
but that does not override the unreal consistency (and stats) Peyton displayed over the very long period in Indy where he single handedly turned them into actual football city.

Speaking of being blind.

Manning has already surpassed Montana and everyone else even before he came to Broncos. You have to be blind (or 49ers fan) to not see this. Montana had a much better team with greatest WR to ever play the game, and he happened to have some of his best games in the playoffs. It happens - but that does not override the unreal consistency (and stats) Peyton displayed over the very long period in Indy where he single handedly turned them into actual football city.

Manning had two hall of fame WRs and a pro bowl caliber TE the majority of his career. Montana's supporting cast was no better, if even as good.. And a lot of Montana's success came before Rice even got there. Won 2 superbowls before Rice was drafted.

Manning had two hall of fame WRs and a pro bowl caliber TE the majority of his career. Montana's supporting cast was no better, if even as good.. And a lot of Montana's success came before Rice even got there. Won 2 superbowls before Rice was drafted.

Oh those silly facts

Reactions: 1 person
Greatest coach in NFL History to briefly consider coming back to the college level ...Former Vol G.A. Jon Gruden.

VN Store

Back