Source: Butch staying, raise pending

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I know this has been posted, but I thought it was thread worthy for those who may not have seen it. TIFWIW.

Source: Butch Jones isn’t going to Michigan, despite overtures. He will sign a new contract within a week at UT. Raise will exceed $250,000.

Jones has told me before that he and his family love Knoxville, he wants to be at UT and `enjoy the fruits of my labor’ in rebuilding UT.

Jimmy Hyams

SI picked up the story also.

Tennessee coach Butch Jones to sign new contract, won't leave for Michigan - College Football - SI.com

Reactions: 34 people
We pretty much already knew this, but that's an interesting figure on the raise.

Reactions: 3 people
Here's another from Hubbs this afternoon:

It appears that deal is the process of finalized with Jones receiving a 6-figure increase and an increase we believe will be somewhere around 3.3 plus the ability for that to go higher with some incentives. The contract extension is thought to extend out to the 6 year deal he originally signed almost two years ago to the day. Also, there is expected to be a 6-figure increase in the assistant coaches salary pool.

Reactions: 11 people
looks like decent gesture by Hart without panicking over a coach not interviewed by Michigan. Contract extensions are the proverbial "paper written on". IF CBJ wants to leave before 6 years, he will. Saban received an extension through 2022; if he wants to leave, he's gone.

it's a buy-out from extensions; just like Florida made a donation to new stadium fund at Colorado State.

glad to see assistants get a bump; might keep a couple from bolting to HC at lower tier schools.

Reactions: 1 person
article suggests 6 figure increase as well. That'd be nice. I honestly expected Butch's raise to be more. At 3.3 per year he's still at the bottom of the SEC in salaries.

Well, he does have a losing record UT. A "small" raise is acceptable.

Reactions: 1 person
I really hope this doesn't turn in to some kind of "give him a raise every year" to keep him satisfied ordeal.

One of the best things about our coaches pre-Kiffin were we knew there was little to no chance they would ever go anywhere cause they'd been Vols their whole lives, more or less.

I like Butch and if he keeps making big steps forward with the team, then sure, pay him accordingly. But let's try not to have some bidding war every year.

Reactions: 2 people
I really hope this doesn't turn in to some kind of "give him a raise every year" to keep him satisfied ordeal.

One of the best things about our coaches pre-Kiffin were we knew there was little to no chance they would ever go anywhere cause they'd been Vols their whole lives, more or less.

I like Butch and if he keeps making big steps forward with the team, then sure, pay him accordingly. But let's try not to have some bidding war every year.

If he's not getting raises on a regular basis, it's because he's failing as coach. Which would you rather have?

Reactions: 2 people

Who cares?

If we are filling seats and making money, why not continue to return some of that to the coaches making it happen?

Of every fanbase in the nation, we should be among the most cognizant of how important a staff can be.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back