Zach Stewart = Juan James

VOLorNuttin

I'm going to take some heat for making the prediction, but I expect to see Zach Stewart come in as an EE and take over the RT spot in the Spring. Kid has looked great in camps. He's as highly rated as James was, coming out of HS, and like James, is already SEC OT size (6'4" 320lbs). Repeat Mr. Football award winner, in TN.

1628560.jpg

WUXP-TV My30 Nashville :: Friday Night Rivals -Live Stream

Zach Stewart - Yahoo! Sports

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5HdwwbOBKE[/youtube]

He reminds me a lot of Eric Fisher, CBJ's former OT at Cent. Mich (Drafted No.1 overall in 2013). Same stature/build and athleticism

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Juan James? Guess Munoz will hereafter be known as UTs OTHER 5 star Mexican-American offensive tackle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 people
I believe he is being recruited as a guard, OT usually have long arms and longer torso.

Coalfield is taking a beating.

Stewart appears to be a big, strong guy. Looks more like a guard than tackle to me, though. He'll be a good OG for us.

Reactions: 2 people
My prediction is that in three years there will be a thread on vol nation asking why we never hear about that 3rd string guy from coalfield.

Reactions: 2 people
He is slaw, small motor, excelled in the smallest classification in the state, and got dominated against Knox Catholic. Don't stop believin.

I'm seeing the same thing. He needs a lot of work and appears to take plays off.
He also plays DE, so he HAS to take some plays off, if the ball is going to the opposite side of the field. When you are the BIG guys for a small program, you get used a lot more than the average player. And I'm sure the coaches even tell them to conserve their energy rather than try to run all the way across the field for nothing, knowing they are running away from you.

The only play I saw him "Take Off" was as a DE, where they were running to the other side, and turns out he ended up taking an extreme angle to pursue ball carrier who broke loose down the sideline. He nearly made the tackle.

This is why you don't see players playing both sides of the ball in college or NFL, 99.9% of the time.

Reactions: 5 people
It's not hard to check how to spell someones name correctly.

Well, James is 6'6" with arms 35" long and a 82" wingspan. For Stewart to play RT effectively, he'll need sound footwork and great leverage. It'd also help if he had long arms, but no way to know if he does at the moment.

In the last decade or so our better OTs have been 6'6" or bigger (Tiny, James, Munoz, Foster, Ofenheusle, Clifton, etc.) Just food for thought...

To be objective, there were some guys that were smaller but effective at RT/LT. Arron Sears was awesome to be 6'4", but he wasn't a true OT. Dallas Thomas was also very good, but he was more of a G/RT. Tiny replaced him as a freshman at LT.

Last edited:
Zach will most certainly be a guard for us. He has a high ceiling and will benefit from a red shirt year before looking to contribute.

VN Store

Back