Liberty Bowl: "Tennessee is the Team We Want"

Liberty Bowl against WVU would be a horrible destination, against an opponent that would likely beat us rather handily. WVU is the one team I don't want to play in the Bowl.

Reactions: 19 people
The bowl doesn't select the team anymore, the SEC sends the teams where they want them, don't they?

Supposedly yes under the new format. Geographic proximity is supposed to be considered as well. Even though Memphis is in TN, the Belk Bowl would be considerably closer to UT's campus and the majority of fans. Imo, Nashville still makes the most sense, but apparently there is some desire to have teams avoiding "repeat bowls," and Nashville was the last bowl for the Vols.

Reactions: 2 people
for 6-6 teams why cant they announce by now - this waiting crap sucks

Yeah, long gone are the days when, after the final reg season game, we knew exactly when the next game is scheduled and with whom !! Except of course, we actually don't yet know who we play 1st game '016 !

Reactions: 1 person
Fans want Nashville or Charlotte, but I can see the benefit to recruiting both athletes and students, and gives people from that part of the state/region a chance to watch UT play, since we don't play Memphis anymore. Nashville and Charlotte both would be great, but I wouldn't be disappointed going to Memphis. Im more concerned with opponent, if we get our tails kicked, its not gonna really matter anyway.

Reactions: 4 people
Yessss... Memphis and West Tn folks rejoice I guess... I know it's not a done deal but I like what I'm hearing...

Reactions: 11 people
At this point you should be begging for Memphis cause the other option is Shreveport, if bama losses saturday then I hope you like swamp air and cajun music

Memphis=Drew Richmond
He would love to come hang out with the team for 5 days....sorry- his future team.

Reactions: 2 people
Butch has done well in Nashville, so for recruiting purposes, I'd guess he wants either Belk or Liberty. Either of the two garners us regional attention that will help in future recruiting imo.

The bowl doesn't select the team anymore, the SEC sends the teams where they want them, don't they?

Yes. But the bowls and schools have some input.

After the selection committee sets up its bowls, the Citrus Bowl (it's named changes from the Capital One Bowl this season) will choose an SEC representative. Missouri at 10-3 would be a possibility. So would Georgia at 9-3. Ole Miss at 9-3 could also be the selection. For kicks, let's say the Citrus tabs Ole Miss.

Next the SEC will assign six schools to a block of six different bowls. Those bowls will each turn in a list of SEC teams that they want. The SEC's schools will each turn in a list of bowls trips that they desire. The conference office will then try to match up the bowls' wishes with its schools' wishes while creating interesting matchups. In other words, 90% of the fans in the SEC will be screaming that Mike Slive shivved them come next week.

So the Outback, Music City, Liberty, TaxSlayer (formerly Gator), Belk and Texas bowls will each grab an SEC squad. Keeping with our scenario -- Bama to the playoff, MSU to a "big six" bowl, Ole Miss to the Citrus Bowl -- Missouri (10-3), Georgia (9-3), Auburn (8-4), LSU (8-4), Texas A&M (7-5), Florida (6-5), Tennessee (6-6), South Carolina (6-6) and Arkansas (6-6) would all be available.

Keep in mind, the SEC office will be looking for fresh matchups while trying to keep the bowls and its schools happy. So it's unlikely Slive and crew will simply assign teams based on record.

VN Store

Back